Tonal memory/slightly-imperfect pitch
Sep 2, 2018 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AthenaZephyrian

100+ Head-Fier
I was taking some audio-related tests, and there was one for perfect pitch.

I've known for a while that I know when something is off by the slightest bit in pitch, but don't think I have perfect pitch (even after this), as I never learned the scales.
I did use two reference notes, so I had a bloody idea how pitches scale across the various notes, but with that reference, I seem to be able to identify, within a 1-note range, which note I've just heard, without going back to the reference note.

I went back and did it without reference (so with only the memory of what corresponded to what from earlier...theoretically I could just have a strong auditory memory I guess) and it said I had a 99.58% confidence interval after getting 5/16 correct.

This is interesting to me. Unexpected too. Maybe I've got the neural circuitry for it...who knows, perhaps if I learn music, I may be able to approach PP (though never have it). I know I can remember the pitch of some instruments in songs I've heard within a short enough time (a few days) that I retain a memory of more than the lyrics.

Oct 7, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 3
I have perfect pitch and a lot of times I think life would be a lot easier without it. I had a bunch of trials and tests when I was active in playing jazz and singing in choirs and bands so I know. Basically it means if they tell you "sing middle C" or whatever you can do it with no context. It's really kind of a bizarre thing. People are strange...

What sucks is when you hear instruments out of tune and you're the only one. Be very glad if you can't :p If you can, I empathize :frowning2:

Anyway I don't think anybody can learn this. It's what makes some people musicians and other people artists, athletes, etc. I can't draw to save my life and I'm only meh at most sports.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 3
I didn't know this was a real thing that real people had. I certainly don't have PP, that's for sure (even though I am a half-passable guitar player). The idea that someone could just on command sing a random note accurately sans contextualizing accompaniment is absolutely amazing to me. Very cool--if occasionally annoying. Thanks for the thread--this is all very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back