Tokyo Fujiya Avic Spring Festival May 12, 2012
Apr 26, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #46 of 90

Quote:

Good tip! People shouldn't expect here to be able to use their credit cards, except at the major electronics stores. People coming from overseas should also get a Suica card for the trains on arrival with at least 2000 yen of charge. That will make things a lot easier for everyone when going around the city.

Yep, thanks for the support, many years of guiding friends around trying to find compatible ATMs for hours on end  is enough (after being very clear to them to bring mostly and mainly cash ¥).

So guys, please do listen, it will save you `and others` a lot of hassle.

*The Suica/Pasmo card tip is a good one (its a rechargable card for the trains with a chip in it), very easy.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #47 of 90
FYI, any post office with ATM anywhere in Japan accepts foreign cards. It's actually also true for many (most?) countries. Besides this, I recommend citibank in Tokyo (far and few in between though compared to the post-office you find at every corner though).

As for Japan being a cash country, maybe so 20 years ago, but nowadays most places accept credit cards, at least Tokyo is like that. I still recommend to withdraw cash with a checkcard from citibank and such atms at the airport when you arrive (usually this is the most economic way to withdraw in foreign currency, the exchange rate being controlled by visa / mc / amex).

Suica / pasmo is a must if you're going to take the train / bus / metro frequently (some stations don't even have station map written in alphabet so you have no idea how you're supposed to pay to get to your destination. Paying the minimim amount gets you in and you pay the complement at the exit, it gets old though). You can get the leftover credit back (minus 500 yen for the card itself) when you leave Japan in case you don't plan on coming back within 2 years or so (the card keeps its credit for 2 years I believe, best is to simply take it back with you, it's the size of a credit card...).

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #48 of 90

Quote:
As for Japan being a cash country, maybe so 20 years ago, but nowadays most places accept credit cards, at least Tokyo is like that.

I agree with arnaud. Not only do the Japan Post Office ATMs take foreign CC, more and more Japanese ATMs also take foreign CC. 7-11's new ATMs, Shinsei Bank's ATMs, not to mention Citibank Japan's ATMs.

You need to check which network your ATM card is on (Cirrus, etc.) and then check the ATM in question.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #49 of 90
I didn't realise the PO took foreign cards! I've been trekking into the city every time to the Citibank to withdraw cash too. The problem is, while stores may take any credit card, many of them automatically reject foreign transactions due to fraud. You have to tell the staff to ring up and confirm the transaction, which is a hassle. I tell people to contact their bank before travelling and ensure a note is put on their card that they will be going to another country. This seems to fix the problems most of the time, but I went into Yamada Denki the other day and had to go through it all over again.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #50 of 90
The Post Office and citibank are good bets, but for travelers trying to find a post office in the usual travelers haunts, shinjuku, akihabara etc is a nightmare - Citibank is around, but yes, few and far between.
Lets not set up our visitors for a possible headache and a waste of half a day.

And what currawong said above.

I`m done, they have enough to information to decide for themselves now i guess:)

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #51 of 90
Afaik any debit card using the Plus or Cirrus network will be accepted at the PO ATM.
For memory they signed the agreement with Cirrus first and rolled Plus in at a later date.
Either way I've never had a problem, just check the back of your debit card to ensure that one is listed (CBA is Cirrus I think, NAB is Plus, etc).

Visa based credit cards are accepted at all major (emphasis) retailers with little hassle.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #53 of 90
Hi Tokyo Head Fi'ers,

Sorry I really want to go but realized that my family and I are in Okinawa for for four days that weekend.

Bummer :frowning2:

I have some new gear that I would have brought and wanted folks to try out and also try out new gear.

Enjoy the weekend.

Allen

May 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #54 of 90
Hi Tokyo Head Fi'ers,

Sorry I really want to go but realized that my family and I are in Okinawa for for four days that weekend.

Bummer :frowning2:

I have some new gear that I would have brought and wanted folks to try out and also try out new gear.

Enjoy the weekend.

Allen

Really a bummer Allen ? :D It's gonna be hot though, but you know that already.

Ok guys, I might be in for the saturday. Probably straight to the venue, like in last January.

May 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #55 of 90
Quote:
Really a bummer Allen ?
biggrin.gif
It's gonna be hot though, but you know that already.
Ok guys, I might be in for the saturday. Probably straight to the venue, like in last January.

Looking forward to see you again frenchbat!

May 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #57 of 90
Quote:
Really a bummer Allen ?
biggrin.gif
It's gonna be hot though, but you know that already.

Yes it is a bummer I am unable to go. Take lots o photos.

Okinawa will be hot and it is the rainy season, but still looking forward to it.

Allen :)

May 1, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #58 of 90
@Arnaud
Thanks, I hope I'll make it, lots of things to see most likely. And now I've a proper footing for my gear.

@Skoog
Maybe you'll get lucky with the weather. Enjoy it anyway !

May 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #59 of 90
Id looove to attend this. 

May 2, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #60 of 90
Quote:
@Arnaud
Thanks, I hope I'll make it, lots of things to see most likely. And now I've a proper footing for my gear.
@Skoog
Maybe you'll get lucky with the weather. Enjoy it anyway !

Hope so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back