Token Japanese Music Thread (Esp. Indie Rock)
Mar 22, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #16 of 35
I've never listened to redrich2000 or Enverxis' recs. Must get around it sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pardon me for the noob question....but what's Keikaku?

http://keikaku.net
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #18 of 35
Yeah keikaku.net! Good times. Yeah Ping Pong the movie is probably my favorite Japanese movie (For some reason I can't really get into Kurosawa) based on a manga by Taiyo Matsumoto. Before you get immediately turned off seinen series are manga typically aimed towards an older audience between the ages of 18-20+. The art is certainly not your typical style:
http://www.manga-news.com/IMG/jpg/ping_pong_p_01.jpg <- Example.

It's a really fun movie combined with a killer soundtrack featuring like 3 supercar tracks.

As for where I buy my music... I wish at used shops in Japan, but... for now play-asia, yesasia, cdjapan.co.jp and amazon.co.jp if you got a friend that can help you out. I think in general play-asia/yesasia are my go to places as far as price vs shipping goes. Amazon.co.jp has the best selection out of the 4, at least that's been my experience, but it's pretty tough to navigate even when you try viewing it in English mode. Also shipping with them is not nearly as cheap... cdjapan.co.jp I've never really ever used since their prices always seem a little bit higher and their selection not as good. But I know people that use them.

Any better suggestions are welcome.. especially for used cds with a good selection and an english site.

Edit: Oh and I'm not sure what you mean by JDM music ;p I kind of assumed it meant Japanese cds.

Oh and uhm yeah I dunno if supercar counts as indie. I mean technically a group is only indie if they are on an independent label... which supercar might be. I think they were on their own label, before they broke up. No idea though. I'm sure not everything I pretend is indie that I listen to actually is, but ;p Still.... shh

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #19 of 35
Hrmmm... I like Acidman. Does Spitz count as indie?
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #21 of 35
Hmm, some of my favourite Japanese bands (unfortunately, not really indie rock): Zeni Geva, Boris, K. K. Null, Acid Mothers Temple (and all the other projects featuring Makoto Kawabata), Deerhoof, Shibusashirazu Orchestra (I discovered them recently, amazing stuff), Sigh...

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 35
I am digging Deerhoof (That Perfect Me video is amazing) and I like Boris. Imo they still count as indie something and that's good enough for me ;p Soul Flower Union isn't really rock either.

Do you actually have Boris Albums? Those low print runs are ridiculous. If I liked them more I'd try and snag some.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 35
Wow I'm so glad I found this thread. Before this I was just listening to the Arrows which I found to be a refreshing change from the usual stuff. I now have a ton of new material to listen to. So far I'm loving Sparta Locals but I'm going to give all the bands a listen before passing final judgement. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #26 of 35
Woot another Sparta Locals convert
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I'm familiar with Envy :/ I'm not that into hardcore, but one of my good friends Stephen Paul who reviews for keikaku considers(ed) them his favorite band so I know they are good stuff for those who are into hardcore hardcore.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #27 of 35
ouch =/ I like the "visual kei" bands...not for their looks...but for their sound. and i don't think the term "visual kei" does their sound justice... since it doesnt have much to do with sound. [i like x japan, and old dir en grey: circa vulgar-withering to death]

like Fra-Foa alot. have a bit of supercar, what i've heard thus far was good. Been having trouble finding Onmyou-Za. And plan to get around to listening to some maximum the hormone this week, now that finals is done.

--edit--
oh and, I've been listening to Acidman's green chord alot the last few weeks. Nice to sleep to, and wake up to.

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #28 of 35
So I've been really into this album I bought used (And saw live once with my homie Summersoldier) Drawing - BE THE VOICE. I grabbed it used for about 2 bucks in some random used cd store in Jinboucho near where I was going to language school (Where sadly I mostly slacked so my Japanese skills aren't realyl where they could be).

It's a pretty damned good album and though I wasn't heavily into the duo? duo or trio... when I saw them live I've fallen in love with the album.

Sadly the last track has these weird skip/pauses that I really can't tell if they are intentional or not... at first I thought it was corruption in the mp3s i ripped. Then I listened to the album and they are there too. I checked the cd... looks clean. I sent the mp3 to a buddy and had him check it out and he said he feels they are legit and intended, but there are a couple spots where it could go either way for him.

Either way, I decided I want to invest in another copy just to be safe... it's one of the albums I enjoy most with my current w5000 set up which are said to have good synergy with J-music esp. J-music + female vocals. With this album I definitely find that to be true
smily_headphones1.gif
So I start hitting the usual CD places. Yesasia - out of stock. CDJapan - out of print. Amazon.com.. used copies for like 75 bucks??

Anyway, long story short. Ebay had a copy for 20.. Play-Asia has copies for 30. Cd japan had samples and listening to it it became clear that the song just has those weird stutters. Freaky... I wish artists wouldn't do that
frown.gif

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COCP-32314 <- samples here.

Oh yeah... checked out Bandwagon last week and they are pretty sweet. Definitely like them.

Big winner for this week is the cover of Husking Bee's 8.6 by Toe and Asako Toki on the Husking Bee tribute cd. It's basically amazing I had it on repeat all day last couple of days. Amazing instrumentation, great vocals and great production.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #29 of 35
God, if you are a fan of Japanese female vocals please for the love of god check out Misako Odani. Either her (Mini Album? Full Album?) Adore or better yet her album Night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back