Token Japanese Music Thread (Esp. Indie Rock)
Mar 16, 2007 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Icarium

Headphoneus Supremus
Yo. I'm into the Sparta Locals, Eastern Youth, Quruli, Soul Flower Union, Bonobos, Clammbon, Ging Nang Boyz, Bazra, Jude, Blankey Jet City, Sunny Day Service, etc.

I am somewhat of an elitist and stick pretty closely to the indie rock (And sub-genres) scene.

I scoff at JPop and have nothing but loathing for Visual Kei/Glam Rock.

I can tolerate, but don't follow more mainstream J rock in the form of groups like The Pillows/Asian Kung-fu Generation.

Keikaku.net is where I generally go for my dose of the scene.

Youtube samples of the bands I dig the most:
Sparta Locals:
Tokyo Ballerina- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWyw257uwJ8
Yume Station- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHlEroUXYhY

Eastern Youth:
Corrected Eyesight 0.6- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6s7S8b922s
The World Shatters and Resonates in my Ears- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVq33Ns2Qts

Quruli:
Wandervogel- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wyRHF-vBV8
World's End Supernova- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFn88RfmM2g

Anyway, any fellow fans? People interested in checking some stuff out and want recommendations? Any recommendations for me? (I've checked out more than I've listed, but always happy to discuss the merits of like groups).

Cheers ;p

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 35
Out of those I am familiar with Cornelius and am not a fan (I don't like music with sparse or no vocals) and OOIOO is not bad they are or were on tour in the US and I contemplated seeing them, but decided against it out of laziness.

I'll check out the rest via the Youtube.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 35
my favorite indies
Spangle call Lilli line*
Acidman*
Syrup16g
Supercar*
clammbon
deadman
Number Girl
Bleach
Noodles
Quruli
Bloodthirsty Butchers*
Super Junky Monkey
CONDOR44*
Afrirampo
AJICO
Blankey Jet City
Bugy Craxone*
Sherberts
Eastern Youth

*indicates most favorite

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 35
Soil & Pimp I've checked out and is fun, but again :/ I'm not a big instrumental guy. Good stuff for people who are though.

Spangle call Lilli Line was a little bit too abstract and whimsical for me.

Acidman is quite good and I know it to be popular amongst people I know... but they are kinda bland for me. I like music with a bit less polish and more of an edge (Not that Quruli is unpolished ;p Contradiction I know).

Syrup16g I've been meaning to check out.

Supercar is basically pretty awesome. Not entirely my thing but I do have a few of their tracks that I love.. mainly their work featured in the movie Ping Pong.

Deadman I'll check out.

Numbergirl is pretty awesome... I need to check them out again.

Bleach... need to check these out.

I think I heard a Noodles track and it wasn't really my thing.

Bloodthirsty Butchers Korocono album is amazing... the rest is pretty down as well. Can you believe that I was supposed to go see a show in Tokyo with them and the post-Fugazi band with Ian from Fugazi or whatever and I frickin missed it because I thought it was on a Tuesday instead of Monday??? This happened previously with an Eastern Youth show TOO EXACT SAME SITUATION!!!! I SUCK. Though I did see Eastern Youth twice when they toured the US last fall.

Super Junky Monkey I've been meaning to check out.

That new Condor44 album is totally sweet. Likewise with the latest Bugy Craxone Album.

Ajico/Sherbets are basically BJC/Jude, but for some reason I like them a little bit less... still good stuff though including Kenichi Asai's latest solo Album.

Another vote for this Afriramp... priority #1 then for me to check out ;p

Yeah! That's it for me. Oh.. besides that you should all check out Sparta Locals if you haven't. If you have already and dislike them... awww :/ I am somewhat of a fanboy though. I saw them 3x in 2 months while in Japan ;p

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 35
Just checked out Afrirampo.. bleah :/ Completely not my kind of thing ;p

Interesting and I may listen to it if in the proper mood... but yeah.

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 35
"Maximum the Hormone". Great mix of Screamo and Pop.
biggrin.gif

that said,
Hey! a Keikaku guy.
Summer Soldier over there got me into "Katte ni Shiyagare" and "Special Others" last december. Black Magic Voodoo Cafe and Uncle John, respectively, are great records. "Special Others" have great stuff but unfortunately their records are very hotly recorded. Uncle John seems to be the better of the lot.
Number Girl I love but man the recording.
blink.gif
Their Sapporo Live Album sounds like the cleanest one.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 35
Yupyup. I'm the guy who got Stephen Paul and Summersoldier hooked up with keikaku as they are bosom pals of mine ;p I started chatting with James R. at some point randomly and recommended them to him though by that point I think they were both posting at Keikaku... I met James in Japan as well (We hit a Sparta Locals concert together and were supposed to go to that Bloodthirsty Butchers concert which I totally missed!!!!).

I've hit several concerts with Summer while I was in Japan including uhm that old school guy he likes from the Jacks I forget his name off the top of my head. Mayumi Kojima. Pomerians (Twice?). Be the Voice. Several other bands that are less memorable. ;p Great dude.

Oho. I notice that you have some L3000s ;p I was going to see if you were going to be bringing them to the meet and if I could check them out. Then... I saw your location! Haha think I could talk you into locating some more obscure CDs for me? ;p I'd love to get my hands on Boat - Roro (As would much of Keikaku I'm sure and Summer himself) and the two Fra Froa albums. Eastern Youth's East End Land mini album.... money is no object!!!

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 35
My favourite Japanese bands are Boris and Onmyou-Za. Gallhammer aren't bad either.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 35
Well then I must thank you for bringing them. Everything Summer recommends are great. Man I would love to go to live concerts with others. I go frequently but always by myself...
frown.gif

I'll make a mental note of those albums. I never knew Fra Foa is hard to come by...
You're welcome to come over for a listen if your ever in Japan again.
3000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yupyup. I'm the guy who got Stephen Paul and Summersoldier hooked up with keikaku as they are bosom pals of mine ;p I started chatting with James R. at some point randomly and recommended them to him though by that point I think they were both posting at Keikaku... I met James in Japan as well (We hit a Sparta Locals concert together and were supposed to go to that Bloodthirsty Butchers concert which I totally missed!!!!).

I've hit several concerts with Summer while I was in Japan including uhm that old school guy he likes from the Jacks I forget his name off the top of my head. Mayumi Kojima. Pomerians (Twice?). Be the Voice. Several other bands that are less memorable. ;p Great dude.

Oho. I notice that you have some L3000s ;p I was going to see if you were going to be bringing them to the meet and if I could check them out. Then... I saw your location! Haha think I could talk you into locating some more obscure CDs for me? ;p I'd love to get my hands on Boat - Roro (As would much of Keikaku I'm sure and Summer himself) and the two Fra Froa albums. Eastern Youth's East End Land mini album.... money is no object!!!

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 35
Much appreciated. Yeah. Fra-Froa has been out of print for a number of years apparently and for awhile Amazon.co.jp had their albums for sale for 80 bucks each or something ridiculous.

Yeah I hope to go again soon on vacation or through work... I was totally bummed I missed the Rock in Japan festival when I was there. I need to get back and go before all the bands I like break up ;p

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dachink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my favorite indies

Supercar*

x3! Tho I've only heard/seen on TV, don't yet have an album but working on it.

Ping Pong movie? I dunno - must go look...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back