Today's amps vs. "yesterday's" amps
Sep 1, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #61 of 68
My 2 cents. I think hi-fi to a large degree has hit its critical mass a long time ago. The new stuff looks cooler and sleeker, but doesn't always translates to better sound. It seems unless science has a way of changing and improving our hearing to canine levels, we won't see/hear another round of radical changes. Until then, despite the brand names, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful, a lot of products are just recycled and repackaged "old" technology that's tried and true.

Keep the change.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #62 of 68
The Gilmore Reference and Balanced Reference are both dynalos.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2 cents. I think hi-fi to a large degree has hit its critical mass a long time ago. The new stuff looks cooler and sleeker, but doesn't always translates to better sound. It seems unless science has a way of changing and improving our hearing to canine levels, we won't see/hear another round of radical changes. Until then, despite the brand names, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful, a lot of products are just recycled and repackaged "old" technology that's tried and true.

Keep the change.

Very true, but there's a slight exception with headphone amps. The market has only really taken off in the past few years, whereas speaker amps have been kicking around for a few decades. We don't have a huge market of used gear yet. But it'll happen. The really good deals on used gear are probably five to ten years out. And what's good now will be good then, too.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #64 of 68
I started building tube gear when there were no transistors. It was perfectly possible to get a flat frequency response over the entire range of hearings. If you can find some of the best Heathkit amps from the 60s, they might still sound okay. If you go in and replace the leaky capacitors, they'd sound great. And of course there are still alot of now-aging audiophiles using modified Dynacos.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #65 of 68
My Gilmore Reference:

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #66 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Gilmore Reference:

1-1.jpg

Great thread and even nicer amp. I also own the exact same one and your reference should have no problem keeping up with newer highend amp. I'm pretty impressed with the sound quality of it actually and thought about populating the remainer of the board and make it balanced.

It is a bit sad that a great sounding amp like a maxed out PPA has no love these days.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #67 of 68
"....a maxxed out PPA gets no love these days."

This is a great thread. It seems like a short period of time ago that one of the best choices was a Pimeta from one on a few builders on this site.

Life has gotten much better with competition from the China builders.

These days I am happy with three variations of amps: Tube (I like the Doge 6210) Hybrid (Bada PH12) and a solid state. I am falling back in love with my maxxed PPA with Denon D5000. These give me flexibility to drive all kind of headphones.

These are the good times and we are having them...right now.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #68 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Architects today still can't build a better pyramid then the Egyptians thousands of yrs ago. ...in the old days, they didn't cut corners like they do today..

how can you make a pyramid without cutting the corners?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back