Today's amps vs. "yesterday's" amps
Apr 26, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the use of the expensive boutique capacitors? Some of the amp makers are giving options of these higher end capacitors as an option to upgrade. Years ago, amp companies did not give this option I think. But I don't know. Please comment. Thank you.

I know of the Ken Ishiwata version of Marantz gear.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #48 of 68
Thread, rise from the dead!

So how much better are today's amps as compared to older ones? Or, to put it differently, "are they better indeed"?

Should I think about replacing my old and much beloved Gilmore Reference with something sounding alike, but better? If so, what should I look at?

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #49 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones in the old days were utter crap with the exception of a few niche products. So why would ANYONE want to build a professional headphone amp for a piece of junk that can't make use of it? You wouldn't, and that's why we do not have real vintage equipment similar to what is there in the speaker market.

So when you talk about headphone equipment, you are limiting yourself to basically within the past 10 years (again, except for a few niche products).
That means all of these companies have started up within the past 10 years or so in developing equipment. Typically a company tries to keep improving on what they have already created. Sometimes this is for sound quality, other times it is a more compact unit.

Some companies continue to create better and better sounding products. They have not yet reached the pinnacle of what they are capable of producing. Other companies think they have reached the pinnacle for their 'statement' products, and so they devote more time to improving their more economy products either by closing the SQ gap or changing form factors.

Will there be a time when the pinnacle of audio equipment from companies who aren't improving is bested by these companies that keep improving their products? There is a good probability, especially with the new components available to them.

Theoretically, new products can be better than older ones simply because more time is possible to devote to the creation of the products.

Yes, in theory.. But I doubt it.. Architects today still can't build a better pyramid then the Egyptians thousands of yrs ago. IMO, It really depends on WHO is making what.. & in the old days, they didn't cut corners like they do today.. There wasn't a marketing push, dead lines, like it is today.. Drive is more money based.. I think it's more about profit (Some exceptions, HE90/R10 etc) then about actually trying to be innovative..

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #50 of 68
There seems to be a rise in more affordable tube amps over the last few years. Which I guess could be considered "better" if you are/were looking for a tube sound. It seems that 5+ years ago the options for dedicated headphone tube amps was very spendy and limited (I'm not sure I can even remember any). Now there are lots of tube amps at any price range to choose from.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #51 of 68
And most of them only hint at the potential of tube amps. Compromising every level to enter the market at an entry point most quality audio grade components cost more than. Better and more availablity should not be confused.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #52 of 68
Until the turn of this century, there was not much available (except few exotics). I remember when I bought my MF XCan V1, it was highly rated by audio reviewers. Today the XCAN V1 is not even on anybody's radar.

Two years later, I bought the Headmaster and the difference was significant. IMO it is still holding it's own. Even if there are more amplifiers available, tubes or solid-state, it does not mean they are all great or a lot better.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #53 of 68
Newer doesn't mean Better and New doesn't mean Good. Take the 8-year old Dynalo and you still have one killer amp.
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #54 of 68
Manufacturers grabble at every opportunity to exploit so called advances in audio equipment. We're down to the lowest common denominators - boutique cable, capacitors and the like. We're scrapping the bottom of the barrel for improvements folks.

3 years ago, how about 15.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #55 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I think about replacing my old and much beloved Gilmore Reference with something sounding alike, but better? If so, what should I look at?

That's the balanced Gilmore Lite/Dynalo, isn't it? You have a superior amp. I wouldn't change a thing unless you are seduced by tubes. Even then, I'd still keep the Gilmore Reference.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And most of them only hint at the potential of tube amps. Compromising every level to enter the market at an entry point most quality audio grade components cost more than. Better and more availablity should not be confused.

True enough, my bad. Though through availability often comes improvement, especially as manufacturers compete in a rising market. For example each version of a given amp often includes improvements.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the balanced Gilmore Lite/Dynalo, isn't it? You have a superior amp. I wouldn't change a thing unless you are seduced by tubes. Even then, I'd still keep the Gilmore Reference.

It is indeed a fantastic sounding amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

As for being or not being a Gilmore Lite / Dynalo, I'm not sure. It's single ended, anyway, not balanced. Here is an older thread, see post number 2: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hea...gs-1-a-197564/

I'll make a picture of what's inside and I'll post it soon.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... it certainly looks like a Dynalo - same FETs, same servo, basically looks same.

Referring to the Reference, right? I don't know what a Dynalo looks like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back