today I killed something dear to me
Jul 22, 2009 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

schirpich

New Head-Fier
If I could kick myself full tilt I would. In an effort to save space in my room I killed my my Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 subwoofer. I turned it over so it was standing upward, port facing down. I did raise it up off of the floor, but it was not enough. I tore the sub's. I've had these things for about 10 years if I can remember. Never had to RMA them once. Never any failures. Now there's only me the failure
frown.gif
I'm so sad as these have served me so well, so many late nights, so many lan parties.

So now I'm in the boat of getting something new. I'm sad to see Klipsch seems to have discontinued the Promedia Ultra series. But I figure, it's been about ten years and I should see what else is out there.

I've read on these boards that the Audioengine lineup is very well liked around here. However I do like to have options, options where if I want thundering sound I can have it. Options where if it's 3am I can turn the bass down. I thought the Promedia series did this very well. Both high and low volumes the sound was clear and apparent. At least to my ears.

But before I buy anything I absolutely must hear them in action. So many sets of headphone's purchased and being completely disappointed.

Does anyone know of any shops in Orange County, CA that might have the Audioengine stuff on display to play with?? I'm on the hunt for a 2.1 system, but I'm not against a 2.0. I only have a Creative X-Fi Platinum sound card also btw.

Any help is always appreciated.
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by schirpich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of any shops in Orange County, CA that might have the Audioengine stuff on display to play with?? I'm on the hunt for a 2.1 system, but I'm not against a 2.0. I only have a Creative X-Fi Platinum sound card also btw.

Sorry to hear about that. Have you thought about having the tear repaired? There are a number of companies that can, and I think there are a few FAQs on doing it yourself.

Also, you might want to head over to DMC Electronics. They don't carry Audioengine, but they have terrific deals on PSB speakers and much else. I got Mon'n'Dad a pair of PSB Alpha B1s for $180 or so there for Christmas - the owner is a nice guy and helpful. Personally, I'd just get a cheap receiver from a thrift store or pawn shop and use it to run a good pair of audiophile speakers.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sub woofer. Ah, right.
And there was I with that scene from "Tropic Thunder" in my mind.

"I killed a panda!"
"Amanda? who's Amanda?"

Sorry to hear about your sub.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Contact Klipsch and ask in there is someone near you they could recommend to recone the speaker. Maybe Klipsch can do it, there'd be heavy shipping cost but way less expensive than a new sub.

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitbags /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I killed a panda!"
"Amanda? who's Amanda?"

Sorry to hear about your sub.

L3000.gif

haha, oh man that made me bust up. I need to watch that again.

I had another idea on the repair note. I've noticed on ebay there are a handful of "as-is" promedia sub's on ebay. Most I can only assume are there because of a dead or fried amp. Only problem is, they all seem to be from the 2.1 system which only had one 6.5 inch sub. Not to mention running the risk of a shorted sub. Or abused, which it most likely was. Its hard not to crank these up when you're into the moment.

That should be ok to swap my (good) amp into a used box right? I'd be down one sub, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. For pure sake of reviving my setup.

I've tried contacting klipsch but I seem to be having some trouble getting through to someone. The first 3 calls I kept getting disconnected on the phone prompt and when I actually did get through it just rang and rang with no answer. Kinda a pity, I remember their customer service being fantastic. About a year after I bought them the preamp would crackle when adjusting the volume. I posted the problem on their forum, and within a day a new preamp and speaker wire was shipped to me. They were so proactive about it, it really made me happy. So who knows, that was almost 10 years ago.

But the other problem I've got, its really a personal one. I've got the fever again and I love to shop and spec out new computer stuff. Especially speakers. And the A2/5's have me really curious. I think I will try to go the repair route and try to take my time in selecting a new set.

I see that DMC place is in garden grove. Anyone been there? Not to nit pick, but their website looks like it came out of the late 90's. Just makes me a bit uncertain. But hey, looks can be deceiving. If I go, maybe I can try and get some work out of them and build them a proper website :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back