To those complain about beyer T1's HF peaks
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

donthuang

500+ Head-Fier

This is the measure base in the  IEC standard,So you know the real problem is, its not about real HF peaks, just about amp's quality. 

See the rather little peaks in 2Khz , 3Khz, 5Khz....?  It's somehow the function of new Diaphragm,Beyer's Engineers done a real Nice Job.in my opinion.

And to those EQer, This is the reason why EQ not much sense here.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 23
Well that is definitely how I have heard it from the beginning, and always said so - T1 has smoother treble than the HD800.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 23

graphCompare.php

But this looks different...

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 23
Skylab, I read your excellent review of the HD800. It's treble spike bothered you as I recall. Would you describe it as a brighter sounding phone overall compared to the T1? The T1 is also regarded as a phone that has a somewhat bright presentation.  

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
Well that is definitely how I have heard it from the beginning, and always said so - T1 has smoother treble than the HD800.

I absolutely agree with this. I would classify the HD800's as slightly on the bright side of neutral and the T1s as slightly on the warm side of neutral.

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Quote:

I absolutely agree with this. I would classify the HD800's as slightly on the bright side of neutral and the T1s as slightly on the warm side of neutral.

That's probably a result of where the treble spikes are. 8-10k frequently contains very little information in music (maybe some harmonics and cymbal sizzle), whereas 6k contains a lot more. Both still have very little and have a much smaller impact than any frequencies lower, of course.

I would argue theyre both on the warm side - as the graphs indicate, but the treble peak in the HD800 particularly makes it seem brighter than it is (and is frankly quite irritating).

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Skylab, I read your excellent review of the HD800. It's treble spike bothered you as I recall. Would you describe it as a brighter sounding phone overall compared to the T1? The T1 is also regarded as a phone that has a somewhat bright presentation.  

Thanks, and yes, I was bothered by the treble peak on the HD800, and have no issue whatsoever with the T1's treble.

Quote:

I would too, overall, but as I'm sure you would also agree as a fan of both headphones, both are pretty neutral overall.

Quote:

That's probably a result of where the treble spikes are. 8-10k frequently contains very little information in music (maybe some harmonics and cymbal sizzle), whereas 6k contains a lot more. Both still have very little and have a much smaller impact than any frequencies lower, of course.

I would argue theyre both on the warm side - as the graphs indicate, but the treble peak in the HD800 particularly makes it seem brighter than it is (and is frankly quite irritating).

I personally couldn't describe the HD800 as "warm".  But I certainly agree their treble peak was irritating
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
I personally couldn't describe the HD800 as "warm".  But I certainly agree their treble peak was irritating
biggrin.gif

Well, IMO they including phones like the K701 boost their bass response a little to try and make it sound more like a loudspeaker. The LCD-2 is the only headphone I've heard that actually does Loudspeaker-like bass. The HD800 is bright compared to some other phones, but IMO the bass is tipped up a bit. But I'm coming from a long time with the ER4, which although neutral has practically zero impact. So, take it with a grain of salt.

The K701 comes across as bright because of the low bass impact, much like the ER4 (but not quite as bad).

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 23
I don't think either the HE-6 or D7000 are "less bright" than the T1.  The JVC DX1000 is, though.  But the T1 is better than all those, IMO, other than the HE-6, which when well amped is better than the T1.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Quote:

I would too, overall, but as I'm sure you would also agree as a fan of both headphones, both are pretty neutral overall.

As a fan (big one at that) of both, I would absolutely agree...both are neutral cans, just slightly on the edge of the fence in opposite directions.
smile.gif

With my HD800s, that happen to be recabled with the DHC aftermarket cable and my tube amp, the highs are actually quite good to my 38 year old ears. I don't find them fatiguing in any way. With the stock cable and my Concerto...at times yes with specific recordings. I never find the T1's treble fatiguing regardless of amp (and my stock cable).

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 23
I'm considering purchasing either the T1 or HD 800, and in the past few days have tried them both (listening sessions were 2 days apart, so my ears may have been in different shape, but I referenced them with new HD 600's, the same laptop/playlist/amp [not sure about exact listening volume], and made notes on my impressions at the time of listening). The T1 was brand new, straight out of the box, and the HD 800 were a demo pair with approx. 50-100 hours of listening time.

To me, the T1 and HD 800 are slightly treble-centric headphones. I found the T1's treble to be more brightly 'hot' than the HD 800 in certain places e.g. John Coltrane's sax on Resolution (John Coltrane's A Love Supreme), and the trumpets on Led Zeppelin's Kashmir - on the T1 the Coltrane's sax was quite piercing to the point of being ever-so-slightly uncomfortable and shrill, making me turn away, and trumpets on Kashmir sounded nicely raspy. On the HD 800, the same sounds came across as less bright (Coltrane's sax was less piercing) and overall I find the HD 800 to be a warmer headphone, especially on the low-end - maybe that low-end 'boominess' balanced out the treble peak, and maybe the frequency of Coltrane's sax on Resolution suited the HD 800 better. I'm finding the differences between the T1 and HD 800 quite slight and very subjective. That the T1 I tried were brand new the HD 800 had been used probably affected the sound too. 

Just wondering, do any T1 or HD800 owners use EQ to compensate for the treble-centric nature of these headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back