To the PC source people! What do you listen to?
May 7, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rink111
I can't see the future, out of sight is out of mind, so getting a big hard drive and filling it with wav files will be great till the future arives.

The future never arrives, by the time it does it's always "now"
tongue.gif
. Sounds like a waste of space to me (when you can get around 50% with lossless compression, meaning twice as many files in the same space), but whatever works for you.

May 8, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #48 of 67
You'll get much better than 10MB savings, first. And APE isn't that much better than FLAC either. See comparison page for details. (and don't start about how it's biased; Monkey's Audio has the same chart at their site) MA, at 'normal' setting, took 13:27.96 seconds to encode a 14-track CD, resulting in a 393.17MB file. (from an original size of 780.56MB) FLAC, at -5 (normal, and BTW, don't go above normal on any lossless encoder. The size difference really isn't worth the time) took 12:54.19, resulting in a 413.46 MB file. That's a 38.29MB size difference, and a 121.95 seconds time difference. But what's particularly telling is the decode times. 14:31.90 for Monkey's Audio, 7:08.80 for FLAC. That's more than twice as fast. This is why FLAC has been implemented in portable devices; as it's fast enough for the relatively puny CPUs in those to decode them in real time. Also, of course, FLAC is GPL'd, which is less restrictive than MA's open source model.

So, in the end, you just have to decide what you like. I myself like FLAC, for it's fast decode time (I do a lot of lossy codec testing, where I have to decode entire albums), GPL licensing, and it's better multi-platform support.

Oh yeah, these encode/decode times were tested with a PII-333 with 256MB of RAM, running WinNT 4.0 SP5.

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 8, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
So, in the end, you just have to decide what you like. I myself like FLAC, for it's fast decode time (I do a lot of lossy codec testing, where I have to decode entire albums), GPL licensing, and it's better multi-platform support.

I have no loyalties to monkeys. Is there a way to get FLAC to encode in the background like Monkey's Audio and LAME can with EAC (one button press)?

-Ed

May 8, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #50 of 67
Yes, actually, there is. A very long command string inputted in the 'Additional Command Line Options' under Compression Options (F11). Also make sure 'User Defined Encoder' is selected, as well as having FLAC 1.04 or later. (1.1.0 is the latest)

-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

I used it a few times, and didn't particularly like it. I don't remember why, however. I'm sure I had a good reason
biggrin.gif
But try it, anyway, and see how you like it.

May 8, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #51 of 67
I use EAC and FLAC. I just use EAC to rip to WAV, and put each each CD into a different folder. Once I have a bunch of CDs ready to encode I drag all the WAV files into the FLAC front end and hit encode - it's very quick to encode.

btw you can use the windows find command to make dragging all the files into flac easier.

May 8, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #52 of 67
The good thing about WAV is that when something better than FLAC arrives in a few years, you won't need to convert FLAC to WAV then WAV to the new format. Of course, that's if you've got 200gb of space. If you're trying to fit it on a DAP, then by all means use FLAC or APE.

May 8, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
The good thing about WAV is that when something better than FLAC arrives in a few years, you won't need to convert FLAC to WAV then WAV to the new format. Of course, that's if you've got 200gb of space. If you're trying to fit it on a DAP, then by all means use FLAC or APE.

Encoding or decoding to flac/ape is suprisingly quick, so even 100GB of music (20 CDs) wouldn't take too long.

May 8, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #55 of 67
Um, yeah. I've got 56 albums ripped into FLAC -5, taking up a whopping 21GB. That's better than 2:1.

May 9, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaK
w00t!
smily_headphones1.gif
I just installed the flac plug-in for winamp! Time to get some FLAC music now
confused.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Time to download EAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back