To the PC source people! What do you listen to?
May 6, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #16 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by beetledude
i'm almost done building out my PC system -- just a few small odds and ends to finish up (better interconnect cables).

M-Audio Delta Dio 2496 -> Glass Toslink Cable -> Benchmark DAC-1 -> Equinox Cable -> HD650

For jazz, vocals, and classical I throw a MG Head 32 into the mix:

M-Audio Delta Dio 2496 -> Glass Toslink Cable -> Benchmark DAC-1 -> MG Head 32 -> Equinox Cable -> HD650

source is mostly WMA lossless or FLAC

I haven't heard any of the better soundcards (RME DigiPad, EMU), but the Benchmark DAC-1 completely blows away the previous M-Audio Audiophile 2496 I had before...

I'm enjoying this hobby very much!
tongue.gif

Well you should be with a nice rig like that. I like that you're using the rarely discussed but intriguing Delta DIO. 'bout the only upgrade for you is a lower-jitter soundcard for digital output, though I bet the M-Audio can't be too bad in that regard.

May 6, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #17 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
I use the RME 96/8 PAD.
Computer sources aren't very good, in my experience. I have a $120 CDP (its primary function is DVD-A and SACD, so thats saying a ton) that beats out my $300 computer soundcard in every aspect except versatility of course.

Cheers,
Geek

Why did some people consider the RME to be comparable to CDPs and DACs costing well above $1000,if doesn't even equal a $120 CDP.Whom to trust?

May 6, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 67
Hmm, I've seen hundreds of professional gamers, in pictures and videos, who use HD570s, I wonder what they use to drive them. $200-400 is way out of my budget. lol, I was thinking of spending maybe around $50.

May 6, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #19 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
I use the RME 96/8 PAD. Its analog out can drive even the hardest to drive headphones to satisfying volume levels. However, you will need a good headphone amplifier ($200-400 range is fine) to bring out the best of your phones. The HD570 is a bright headphone and not recommended for computer sources, at least from what I've heard.

Computer sources aren't very good, in my experience. I have a $120 CDP (its primary function is DVD-A and SACD, so thats saying a ton) that beats out my $300 computer soundcard in every aspect except versatility of course.

Cheers,
Geek

Less than $5 and 10 minutes fixes all of the "issues" you have with that card.

-Ed

May 6, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
Why did some people consider the RME to be comparable to CDPs and DACs costing well above $1000,if doesn't even equal a $120 CDP.Whom to trust?

You... your ears! Nobody else's. If you get this early in the game, you'll have a much fatter wallet by the time you get to audio nirvana
wink.gif

May 6, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 67
Me, I just use the built in sound on my pc until I can upgrade to a nice sound card.

At the moment it's:

NEX 3XP (for when I want to play a CD without the hassle of ripping it)
foobar2k (for when I want to listen to my pc music without burning a CD) both going into my built in sound card (the foobar via windows and the NEC via the line-in), then that goes to my IC FET then to my V6s. It's a very versatile setup, has the best parts of standalone (no ripping) and the best parts of pc-based (no CD swapping).

but hopefully soon I will be able to get a nice sound card, like the EMU or RME, that I will use as a DAC for the 3XP and also to paly music from foobar2k.

May 6, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
You... your ears! Nobody else's. If you get this early in the game, you'll have a much fatter wallet by the time you get to audio nirvana
wink.gif

Hehe.. was about to say the same thing when I saw the post. Trust your own ears, as everybody has different taste. Maybe you would prefer computer sources to higher priced cd players, maybe not. If for example a modded RME sounds better than stock one, it is the modder's point of view - not others'.
I know for a fact that i prefer the stock RME to a Marantz CD66SE modded with $400 of modifications (new toroid, new anaogue output section, elna silmic caps everywhere.. LC Audio mod (can't remember model, but I think it was Clock 3)). TBH the mods was a waste of time and money - yes it sounded more airier and treble definately opened up. But, oh well, the bass is still overpowering IMO). Now I mainly use the Marantz as a digital source through toslink/optical -> Digi 96/8, because the computer won't play the copy protected discs at all.

May 6, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
Hehe.. was about to say the same thing when I saw the post. Trust your own ears, as everybody has different taste. Maybe you would prefer computer sources to higher priced cd players, maybe not. If for example a modded RME sounds better than stock one, it is the modder's point of view - not others'.

There is quite a noticeable difference between the modded and stock RME PAD's. It really is not that subtle.

Quote:

Now I mainly use the Marantz as a digital source through toslink/optical -> Digi 96/8, because the computer won't play the copy protected discs at all.

Have you tried EAC, lossless compression, and Foobar yet? No copyright protection issues.
wink.gif

-Ed

May 6, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 67
Humn.. need to try out that mod (after exams)
biggrin.gif

Have tried everything I could think of, also pressing shift when inserting the cd. Sometimes EAC recognises the tracks on the cd (or the drive does) when shift was pressed during insertion. Foobar doesn't recognize the CopyControl protected disc either. I think the problem is my drive. It is a rebadged Pioneer DVD-116 (AOpen) and I don't think it supports reading SafeDisk 2 or can bypass any other copy protection, like for example lite-on drives can.
Will try out the latest Foobar2k (still on 0.7.7b, here).. thank you for the suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #26 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
Humn.. need to try out that mod (after exams)
biggrin.gif

Have tried everything I could think of, also pressing shift when inserting the cd. Sometimes EAC recognises the tracks on the cd (or the drive does) when shift was pressed during insertion. Foobar doesn't recognize the CopyControl protected disc either. I think the problem is my drive. It is a rebadged Pioneer DVD-116 (AOpen) and I don't think it supports reading SafeDisk 2 or can bypass any other copy protection, like for example lite-on drives can.
Will try out the latest Foobar2k (still on 0.7.7b, here).. thank you for the suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

I use a Pioneer DVR-105.
Close all the windows that may pop up after inserting the CD. And let EAC do it's CDDB search thing. Try disabling "autoplay" feature of Windows too.

I have noticed that Foobar refuses to "see" the CD drives sometimes. I don't think they were those PITA copyrighted CD's either.

In fact, the ones that are specifically labelled as having "special" copyright protection, were ripped with no problems.

-Ed

May 7, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaK
Hmm, I've seen hundreds of professional gamers, in pictures and videos, who use HD570s, I wonder what they use to drive them. $200-400 is way out of my budget. lol, I was thinking of spending maybe around $50.

Nine times out of ten, I'd say Audigy 2 ZS or LS or whatever. The last one, well he's gotta be superior to the rest of them and use SoundStorm by nVidia.
biggrin.gif

There isn't any real variety amongst most of these folks when it comes to sound cards, it's either Creative's Audigy latest version or onboard sound.

Yes, I use SoundStorm too, but then again, I don't use my PCs for dedicated music listening. That's why I blew about $1500 on Audio gears (and primed for more, at least another $2000 the way I see it). So right now, all I do on my PC is audition for CD and MD Burning via:

HD->Soundcard->Cheap Headphones, occassionally breaking out the Technics RP-DJ1200 if necessary.

Gets the job done.

May 7, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #29 of 67
What Sound card would you suggest for great quality for a pair of HD600's. Is the total bit head crap? EAX would be a nice option since I am an avid gamer. And what is the FLAC format? How can I make those files.. can you directly rip them off the cd and encode them into flac? I have the full version of winamp. Whats the advantage of ripping songs off the cd anyway? Is it better quality.. I notice small pops every maybe 20 min if im typing when I hit enter or somthing, would this be eliminated? If somone is nice enough to answer even some of those questions I would be very greatfull. Thanks everyone!

May 7, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #30 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rink111
What Sound card would you suggest for great quality for a pair of HD600's. Is the total bit head crap? EAX would be a nice option since I am an avid gamer. And what is the FLAC format? How can I make those files.. can you directly rip them off the cd and encode them into flac? I have the full version of winamp. Whats the advantage of ripping songs off the cd anyway? Is it better quality.. I notice small pops every maybe 20 min if im typing when I hit enter or somthing, would this be eliminated? If somone is nice enough to answer even some of those questions I would be very greatfull. Thanks everyone!

I'll answer a few of them.

Is the total bit head crap?
No

And what is the FLAC format?
It's like mp3, but it's CD quality. Look here for more information. It's free, and you can use winamp to play them back. I use flac because then I don't have to bugger around with physical CDs, I just double click on my playlist. It eliminates the sound and vibration from my CD-ROM too. The sound quality between CD and FLAC is identical.

I notice small pops every maybe 20 min if im typing when I hit enter or somthing, would this be eliminated?
You'd have to work out what the pop were, but probably not.

I can't really help you with the sound card issue - check the source forum. Don't forget though that you can put two or more sounds cards in your PC: gaming cards aren't great for music, and music cards aren't great for gaming (according to what i've read).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back