To reshell re0's or not to reshell?
Nov 16, 2009 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Poetik

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm kinda in a predicament after reading this thread on reshelling iems:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/i...earing-454174/

I really enjoy these headphones but I know for a fact that I could use some better tips on my re0's since I use them all the time. I'm curious if it would dramatically change the sound? I can imagine the bass extending a bit lower and the soundstage might open up a bit. Also would I be able to get it done with a removable cable as well? I'm not too sure how that all works.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cedric

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 27
That might be interesting. I can't say what end result you might get, but heck, the RE0 is just $80 now. The driver used is quite good, so it's worth a shot trying it in a new environment.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 27
Well, you would have to address the enclosure. Otherwise it will affect frequency response. I'm not sure how easy it is to disassemble the RE0 and put the driver in an whole other enclosure. The RE0 is a sealed unit, so you're not worried about venting. You just need to replicate roughly the same enclosure volume. You may even try to incorporate the back half of the RE0 shell into the custom mold. But yeah, it's not as simple has BA drivers.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 27
True, I could get another pair of IEM's but I figured the only other thing IEM I would really wanna upgrade to is the JH-13's. Custom re0's might not be too bad of an investment to keep me content for awhile. It would definitely be a lot cheaper than spending straight up $1200-1300 for the JH-13's. I'm just curious if the money spent to get them customized would be a noticeable difference soundwise and if so then how much?

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 27
Personally I think it would be a waste of money. The RE0's are ok but they are not worth that much effort.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 27
There are a lot of people who compare them favorably with the UE10, IE8, other contenders like that. I think that it would be worth it if he didn't want to upgrade for a long time.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 27
If you want better bass extension from the RE0s, they respond well to amping.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, I could get another pair of IEM's but I figured the only other thing IEM I would really wanna upgrade to is the JH-13's. Custom re0's might not be too bad of an investment to keep me content for awhile. It would definitely be a lot cheaper than spending straight up $1200-1300 for the JH-13's. I'm just curious if the money spent to get them customized would be a noticeable difference soundwise and if so then how much?

That would be difficult question to answer, since I think you are first one to remold RE0 in this forum.

Typically, bass response is better after remold as it is better fit.

If you are going for JH13 sooner or later, and not having alternative choice you want.

Remolding sounds promising

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grahamnp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm quite sure the RE0 is vented. Of the two small holes on the back, one of them carries through to the inside with a filter over it.

The RE0 are not ported according to Fang. I don't know what the hole is for but it's not a full-on pass-through port.

Fisher will not remold dynamics anyway, so the point is moot.

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 27
Thanks for that. Any idea what the filter on the inside of the earpiece is for then? It would have guessed that it was some sort of damping but it seemed placed specifically over where the port would have been so I thought it was sure to be a port.

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #15 of 27
Ok the shell on my 2nd RE0 came apart (very annoyed!) and this one didn't have the filter over the "port" so I could see that there was definitely a hole in the rear part of the shell. Port or something else, there is definitely an opening in mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back