To Equalize or not?
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

intricate28

Head-Fier
Ok....So my DAC Magic just came in today and I'm loving it so far. The first thing I did after hooking it up was to turn of the EQ portion of iTunes as I've had people tell me that having the EQ on changed the signal from being "bit perfect" to "tainted."

So after listening to it for about an hour I decide to just try out my favorite EQ setting. OMG does it sound wonderful, its the sound is smacking me right in the face, instead of being in the background.

So as I've heard that having a DAC is "useless" if I'm going to taint the signal, should I turn off the software eq and just get used to the sound? Or did I just waste $429?

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 12
If it sounds better with the eq settings on and the DAC connected than with eq on but without the DAC, I shouldn't think it a waste.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 12
You have ears for a reason.
I wouldnt ask someone online, who isnt even there, how it sounds!!!

If it sounds good TO YOU, then dew eet !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 12
I guess I should change my question then....Does using a software Eq really impact Sound Quality that severely? If it does than why?

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Bit perfect is just another catchword used by those who want a scientifically "perfect" sound instead of using their ears.

Fact: the ear/headphone relationship creates treble spikes that greatly reduce sound quality and cause fatigue. A personalized equalization will flatten these spikes and greatly improve perceived sound quality. Better than bit perfect anyday. Depending on the phones and your ears, some of these treble spikes can be very large (multiple +15-20db spikes on my Grado SR-60, for example). That is NOT good for your ears or musical enjoyment.

After those spikes are removed, you can tailor the sound to your liking. I play with bass levels quite a bit; it's an area I'm very picky about the sound of.

Use a parametric equalizer and good music software, and I don't think anybody could argue that you're damaging the sound.

Apr 1, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks Mamba! Thats what I wanted to hear. It just sounds so much better with the treble evened out, and the Bass augmented up a bit. Seems so much more "up front" to me!

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Trust your ears!
wink.gif

Only you can tell how you like the sound of your rig.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 12
in a perfect world w/ bionic ears, it would be useless indeed...some food for thoughts: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0/#post5507239

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5950226-post344.html
Quote:

coupling of high frequencies to the eardrum varies greatly among individuals. It is influenced by the volume of the concha, the diameter and geometry of the ear canal, the eardrum impedance and other factors.

also, all EQ's are not equal...top of the line VST's and winamp don't quite sound identical
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only you need to like the sound of your rig. Trust your ears.

I know some SP amps that need fixin!!! Now get to work!!!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back