To custom, or not to custom?
Nov 3, 2011 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stef92

New Head-Fier
Hey all, getting ear impressions done on monday, unless any of you put me off the idea, but thats why i`m here for any ideas and advice on if i`m doing the right thing with my iem`s? Have shure 530 and currently thinking of going with UM for re-shell with +1 added driver, do any members here own these? I have searched many threads here and have found plenty of great info on UM appreciation threads, but none really focusing on 530+1re-shell, or maybe my searching skills are very poor, have found 530x3, obviously a different beast, any links or help would be nice, would be great to talk to an owner or maybe not an ex,owner? I`m happy to recieve all comments if good or bad, tell me i`m crazy, do your worst, all appreciated here. I`m sure many of you will point me in mage\merlin direction,but i would find it hard to just throw the 530s in a draw and forget about them, cables are about knackered, but they have been used rarely, but so be it if someone can persuade me otherwise? I do have certain questions for the custom route like, single or dual bore, is there a choice of added driver or do UM use just one in particular, any helpful posting details and who best to deal with at UM? I`m in the UK by the way. I realise these customs will not take me to audio bliss, but a 20-30 increase in sound, quality and fit would see me through until funds hopefully improve somewhat? So, heres hoping to feedback, and i really appreciate any headfi help. Thanks.   

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi

Having done the whole reshell thing, and being in the uk, here's my take.

First off take a look at ampcity.co.uk for dealing with um, makes it easier and you have a point of contact instead of just sending the parcel off and hoping it get's there ok.

Second be prepared for the wait, and wait and, well you get the idea. Oh and pray you don't need a refit. As an indication I've had to send mine back on the 4th of october and still waiting and that was to the us!

Third I know you said you would rather reshell then a set of customs from the ground up. That's fine but do you have anything worth listening to whilst the shures are away?

Fourth, if the reason you are getting the reshells done is because the cables are knackered have you tried contacting shure to see if they could do you a deal on a new set of 535's?
Various reports indicate that they sometimes do this, could be worth a ring, particularly if you don't have fit issues wih the shures themselves.

Fifth. If you decide to go full custom route, take a look at the options in the uk, could work out cheaper (possibly !), right now theres acs and also minerva, who have a few good reviews here on headfi, kinda wishing I'd done that now, but hey ho.

Good luck whatever you decide

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 16
Funny. Im in the same boat and getting almost the same thing. In my case im thinking of going with UM and adding a mid driver for my Triple 
fi 10 Pro's.

Im also looking for someone on here who could tell me what to expect in terms of the sound by going down this road and if its worth it.

I already had my impressions done a few days ago.

Cheers

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 16
Hey, thanks for input David , i think i have come across some of your posts before on my venture into custom. 1. Ampcity an option i`d looked into, but many posts say go direct, still unsure on this? 2. Aware of certain "patience" required. 3. Not got any back up iem at all, not prepared for the stormy winter wait ahead my fellow islander... 4. Been there, lets not go there, no cheaper than reshell. 5. Would love to order from Uk, not convinced on us though m8 and i have no answer up to yet why i am being drawn to Um and i don`t want to ship me only iems oversea`s, but cable on borrowed time and this is a cry for help.. You do not mention what custom you have David, i think if people advised me to save up and go merlin\mage way because sound is so much clearer,better i`m on it, but do like 530 sound sig though or is it just because i`m used to it, need to move on..? Thanks again david.  Oh p.s. Maxis. There`s many pics of 530/tf10 even on official Um site, getting a review is another matter, someone link us up 4 f^£!z sake.  Thanks  

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 16
Please bear in mind the resale value of a 'added driver' custom as opposed to the 'normal customs' like UM Mage, Merlin, etc. One thing I've personally experienced with customs is that it is very difficult to predict whether you will like the end product's signature or not, since there are so few universal demos, and for se530+ drivers, literally none. If in the unlucky case you don't like the custom's signature, you will be stranded with a 'difficult to sell' custom, because nobody else will take the risk of buying something they don't know the sound signature of. Thus, 'normal customs' like the UM mage etc may be wiser in the long run because at least if you don't like it, you know there is a market for them.

This advice only applies to people who are not rich enough to buy their customs and keep it if they don't like them (like me). Haha

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks Spekkio, a good point, advice is greatly appreciated. The idea of taking the plunge with 530+1 and not liking them, then having to happen get merlin anyway is something that would absolutely do my head in, i only have the s530, unluckly i`m not in your position regards your collection by the sounds of it, but good luck and hopefully you work hard for your little luxury`s in life. Presuming you have Um merlin or similar, would you say they were worth in price twice as much as what i propose to do, in terms of soundstage of course? In these early posts i am beginning to take a step back from the pool, the plunge has turned into a step, the custom trip gets harder the closer you get to it... I feel guilty to whine and moan and dilly\dally about getting customs, there`s thousands out there who cannot hear at all, the custom path has even given me a guilt trip..   I am no closer to a decision, lets see some posts headfi, need some convincing convincer`s to sell it\them to me?... Cheers.  

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 16
Why not sell the 530 and go complete custom?

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 16
I have thought of that chef8489, but i`m afraid even though the 530s still work ok, the cables are well shot and the price i would get for them would probably be rather dissapointing. As spekkio points out, its a risk as to if i would like the custom sound signature of 530, but surely this would apply if were to purchase say mage/merlin for example anyway? I realise that you have to take a certain amount of risk in the custom world, but i am not prepared to blow my hard earned easily and foolishly. Decent customs will cost twice as much as 530custom, if headfi can influence me that certain customs would be twice as good as 530custom then i will take this on board and forget about the 530 plus banish it to a life of draw darkness. Thanks for posts and any future posts.   

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #9 of 16
I personally would go for a known custom, designed and voiced as a competitive product in the market,  A remold plus extra driver just strikes me as a ginned up kluge made from drivers pulled from a universal, plus an extra driver, stuffed into a custom mold in a one-off fashion.  No testing, no voicing, just luck of the draw.  It could be great, it could be a waste of money.  Customs, remolds or new, are an expensive and kind of fiddly proposition to get the fit right.  I would lean toward doing it once, and doing it right.  That's just my 2 cents.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 16
You may want to ask what people think of their reshells on the G Customs Facebook page as most people are getting reshells from there, so there should be at least some opinions on reshelling with an extra driver.  But I do agree that a custom IEM that is known is the safest bet, but there still are risks which come down to if you will like the sound or not.  The SE535 is mid-forward and many custom IEMs are not.  For example, a Miracle owner I know says they are slightly V shaped in frequency response, which would be a big change from the SE535.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks aamefford and average joe for your advice, it seems that the general majority of headfi`s are pushing me towards the "known" custom route, you guys know your stuff and aint making my final decision any easier, If anything its harder because i now have to try and find a custom that would best suit my needs instead of simply going for re-shell, as you note average joe the sound sig i have been and gotten used to will greatly differ in my final choice of custom, whatever and whoever i go for? Don`t get me wrong, i`m not looking for an exact match to the 530s, there is plenty of room for improvement, its just the best suited to me as now as i have not owned better iems than these, obviously discounting the cable issues. One good thing to come out going with known customs is that at least i will have iems while i wait for the customs, i was not looking forward to losing my sounds for 1-2 months.. Looks like more soul-searching and posting is yet to come, jesus, its easier to buy a house and car than it is to make the leap of faith with monitors.. :)

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 16
Do you have a budget?  I'm thinking that could make the process easier..

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Customs are a leap of faith, I think.  Especially if you are not going to sink $1200 plus into one of the top 4 or 5 options.  I read a lot, talked to a few folks, and ended up going for 1964 ears quads.  I really like them.  A slightly prominent bass, but not overpowering, and a slightly rolled off treble, but not as far as the SE530.  I loved my SE530's, I just sold due to all the cable issues.  I've owned several other top tier at the time universals, and the SE530's remained my favorites.  I love the 1964 ears quads.  If you are a detail and treble lover, they may not be fore you.  If slightly prominent bass is too much bass, they aren't for you.  If you like the SE530, but a bit more bass, and I think just a hair more treble, you just might like them.  I think mine ran me just under $600, once you figure in the impressions, shipping, etc.  I really do like them, but funny, they get a lot less headtime than I would have thought.  Too much isolation at work and home.  Great for travel for the same reason, and just a bit fiddly to wear.  Worth it though.

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks alot aamefford, thats just the sort of post that i need right now, really good and easy to understand the way you explain the different quality`s you hear between the 1964 and 530. It helps you were a 530 lover, you know the sound, the way you describe the 1964 though leaves me thinking that these are not for me due to the fact the detail/treble iyo is not much better and plus i`m not a basshead, but do like a strong/controlled bass, i really appreciate this post, its very helpful in getting me to rule out certain options.  This has me fearing that i need to upgrade even further more than quad custom, you come across as happy with the 64, but i do not think your audio quest has ended here, we all still yearn for more always..? When u mention top 1-4 custom, who does this apply to in your eyes and "ears"? May have to cram some overtime in?? I would rather save some extra pounds and try to get the best i can, even though i thought i were doing this with 530, then had dodgy cables, frikking great.... That was then though, this is now.. Cheers aamefford.    Hey Kimchee, happen get £500 together, what you saying? Thanks mucho

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 16
While I haven't heard the Quad, I should be posting my review this coming week of the aud-5X which is priced similarly and from what I understand, has more treble and less bass emphasis.  The mids are a little forward with very good imaging and transparency, so while not too close to the SE530 IMO, it isn't opposite.  That might be something to look into that is more budget friendly while being an upgrade and satisfies what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back