To Cable Upgrade or Not, That is the question (RS1i)
Aug 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AllsWell

100+ Head-Fier
I'm divided between an upgrade or not. I can't seem to make up my mind, I need some help.

I feel that I need something more from my RS1i's. Though I don't know exactly what (Yes, vague, I know).

I've been trying to find and read as many reviews as I could about cable upgrades towards headphones, specifically the RS1i.

I can't seem to find much about anything... maybe a yes or no , but nothing too substantial to justify an upgrade for me.

I know about the cables over at Moon Audio, but the thing is I don't know what they sound like coupled with an RS1i.
As in, what does a Silver, Black, Blue Dragon cable sound like with the RS1i ? What are the differences ?

Or what does another cable (that I have yet to discover) sound like with an RS1i ?
I'm sure most of us are reluctant in spending over $200+ on something unknown.

So,
Does anyone have any sound, in depth (well a couple of sentences at least) experience/advice regarding a cable upgrade for the RS1i?

Thank you.

*By the way, I have done a cable upgrade on my Triple Fi's and yes, I have noticed quite a difference, for the better in terms of sound/sonic signature. The cable was made from a fellow headfier, Chris_Himself. And no, I'm not in anyway affiliated with him, just thought I'd mention how awesome the cable was and the fact that I do notice differences in a "cable upgrade" *

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 6
I have some experience with recabling the RS-1 and RS-2. The catch is that you need to send them to Grado so they can bake them in a specialized low heat oven to get the inner glue to come loose and the driver housing to release from the wood cups before you can solder on a new cable. It will add a little bit of time and cost to the recable, so you'll want to keep that in mind. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply. Do you think you can tell me what kind of cable(s) you used for the upgrade on your RS1? Was there a noticeable difference ? Was the upgrade worth it in your case ?

--------------------------

Anyone else ?

Aug 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Upgrade.

But only if wallet allows, and as a last tweak. Before that I’d look into an I/C cables upgrade - both analogue and digital. And even before that I’d try a better source. What the RS1’s are asking, imo, is probably a better source. Just my 2c

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Upgrade.

But only if wallet allows, and as a last tweak. Before that I’d look into an I/C cables upgrade - both analogue and digital. And even before that I’d try a better source. What the RS1’s are asking, imo, is probably a better source. Just my 2c

x2, by the looks of things
L3000.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Do you think you can tell me what kind of cable(s) you used for the upgrade on your RS1? Was there a noticeable difference ? Was the upgrade worth it in your case ?

I tend to recable all of my headphones just to see what improvements can be gained, so I may not be the voice of reason :wink: I found that recabling Grados with Cardas copper wiring can help warm up the highs and prevent fatigue during long listening sessions. That was really the only major difference that I noticed. Heaphones like Sennheisers and Denons tend to respond much more to a recable than Grados do, in my humble opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back