To buy a hd650 or k701 when I have the AT AD2000
Jun 8, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #32 of 36
but it has only 1/8" output if I'm not wrong. Also, if you get only amp, your AD2000 won't sing properly.

To me, sources are far more important esp. with the easy-to-drive can like AD2000.
wink.gif

I've tried the Max module Desktop combo once, and really like them. If I were you, I will get Desktop module with Max DAC, or as I mentioned, Corda Cantate for the limited budget.

Another budget combo is Zhaolu 2.5 (not sure C or A). I've heard very briefly once at the meet, and think it's great for that money.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JMCIII, do the micros also sound great with the ad2ks?

Wish I could give you an answer, but I've not heard the AD2Ks. My guess would be that they do, but drop Headroom a line and ask them. They'll give you an honest answer. I'm sure they've heard the combo.

I do know that the Portable Micro sounds good with my AT ATH AD700s if that helps.

Jun 8, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please elaborate on the new version of HD650, do you still believe that's the case, can't remember anyone from CanJam reporting on the found difference? HD650 is certainly not left in the dust by AD2000, rather the opposite. AD2000 sounds "simplistic" in comparison, forward, hard hitting, fast, and fun, but like certain nuances are getting lost in this "excitement". I prefer AD2000 for fast metal and HD650 petty much for everything else, even metal sometimes.

The "new" version of the HD650s have the white/silver metalic fabric covering the slots/baffles in the element/driver housing - it extends out from the element/driver to the edges. Its visible from the back through the screens, or underneath the linings on the front under the ear pads. The "old" version has the black silk fabric.

I have no idea how it changes the sound - except from my experience with the HD580/600s. It makes those sound brighter, clearer and more detailed - virtually eliminating the "veil."

And... there is no question... with the right set up... the AD2000s do "leave the HD650s in the dust" - that is... the "old" version, quite literally. Faster, tighter, brighter, clearer, more detailed and... more soundstage. I don't know how the "new" version of the HD650s compare - haven't heard them.

Though... the "new" version of the HD580/600s compete very well with the AD2000s - in fact... I think I may actually prefer them to the AD2000s - they've got just a bit more of a rich, organic, weighty sound than the AD2000s. Not quite as fast and tight as the AD2000s, but richer and fuller, with about the same soundstage. In fact, the modified "new" HD580s are the best value available in headphones - they sound very similar to the D5000s at less than half the price (just a bit less bass, and very fine detail).

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #35 of 36
I just made a new decision because of a new discovery. Tried the ad2000s yesterday with all kinds of music on my audiolab integrated amp's headphone jack playing cds on my pioneer dvd player. oooohhh the mids that bothered me on the ipod is not bothering me anymore on this system. Even my sr60s improve quite a bit here.

I think I should just get a k701 just for the heck of it to try a new sound. If it is great on this integrated then no need to spend for an amp. If I sense greatness but feel its underpowered or needs better quality equipment, then the wallet must suffer. But, If it is powered well but I don't like the k701 signature then I can easily just sell them at 300 to 400 hours old.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #36 of 36
donunus,

I say go for the K701s. I spent the last few weeks reading everything I could on these phones, and many others. As you know, there are a ton of conflicting opinions on each and every HP but I decided to just try the K701s for myself. I'm extremely happy that I did. To me (uh oh, another opinion) these are wonderful phones. I listen to alot of different genres of music and the K701s sound great on all of them. I've even found a new appreciation for music that I was never fond of before. Personally, I am very pleased and feel the 701s are worth every penny. And like you said in your post, if it happens that you don't like them, you can always sell them.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back