To buy a hd650 or k701 when I have the AT AD2000
Jun 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #16 of 36
Andrew_WOT,

Check out the link in my sig. HD650

Donnus,

I wouldn't call the K501's immersive,
and if the K701's are anywhere near as airy you likely will not find them immersive. (however prbly excellent with jazz & classical)

I have the newer HD650 version and I've tried some lower priced SS amps with them which cleared up a signifigant amount of darkness/veiling.
I however like this sound and combined with their organic sound find it to be one of their greatest strengths as it creates believability/immersiveness for me.

I've tried them with a $300 4-channel Behringer SS amp that drove them very well.
So there isn't necessarily any need to get a very expensive solid state amp, however, the HD650's are quite possible the biggest tease in headphones when it comes to upgrading.

I've also heard them with the DV332 which to me only sounded decent when you cranked the volume (ouch), the Lavry DA10 which can't drive them with enough power.
and the Cayin HA-1A which sounds pretty good however I think they really shine with a powerful SS amp.

If you go HD650 you might want to buy them new just to make sure you get the newest version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... BUT, if soundstage is what you're looking for, look elsewhere. Forget about the HD650 - right now
smily_headphones1.gif

I disagree. I found my HD650's to simply have a very coherent soundstage (integrated into the overall music) so they sound immersive and open up when the music calls for it and stretche far far out (instead of being a laid out in front of you for your analysis type of soundstage - like the K501)

Jun 7, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 36
I've tried K701 because I've heard that it has very wide sound stage. However, I don't like its sound - a bit dry and too neutral (sort of boring) to my taste. I still prefer my W5000 over it.

Also, I don't think AD2000 lack of sound stage, but you may feel it because of the very up-front mid.
biggrin.gif

dononus, why don't you invest your money in amp and esp. DAC first. With good DAC and amp, you'll love your AD2000 much more than ever.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh and have you tried the W1000 yet? It has a much wider soundstage than the AD2000 and the cotton mod I did to them recently gave them some very fine extra bass that I'm enjoying quite a bit right now. It now actually has a bit more bass than the AD2000 overall, which surprised me a little.
What's interesting about the W1000 is that despite its wide soundstage, it's still immersive and immediate, sort of odd. For the price it's definitely a great headphone - and there's some modding potential by simply adding more padding in the right place.

Anyway, what's the cotton mod? care to elaborate?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tonsosnot, great impressions. They make me want to try the k701s. the only thing i get confused about is why they are less fun when they do so many things correctly

They aren't less fun, just different fun. Heck, you may find them more enjoyable than your ATs. I know they are my favorite cans now that I've heard them on many different kinds of music.

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrew_WOT,

Check out the link in my sig. HD650

Have you or Gradofan2 had a chance to compare "new" and "old" version of HD650 side by side with the same cable and equally worn pads?

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dononus, why don't you invest your money in amp and esp. DAC first. With good DAC and amp, you'll love your AD2000 much more than ever.
wink.gif

He has a great point.
You could upgrade dac/amp and buy a lower priced headphone (like AKG Sextett) which would give you some contrast.

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #21 of 36
getting a good amp is the first thing to do but I want another can to tag along. maybe a gilmore lite for the ad2k plus a k701 hmmm

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. I found my HD650's to simply have a very coherent soundstage (integrated into the overall music) so they sound immersive and open up when the music calls for it and stretche far far out (instead of being a laid out in front of you for your analysis type of soundstage - like the K501)

Well, the soundstage isn't exactly bad, but it isn't the HD650's most prominent feature. I suppose donunus wants something totally different soundstage-wise than his AD2000, and that's where I wouldn't recommend the HD650.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, what's the cotton mod? care to elaborate?
smily_headphones1.gif

[OT]
It's very simple and reversible, I've done it before on my other ATs and I've been using it on my AD2000 ever since I got it. With the AD2000 I've applied it to the bottom side of the cups to add a little extra distance from driver to ear to decrease discomfort. It doesn't change sound all too much fortunately.
Basically cotton pads like these (or any other easily formable fabric) should do:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_ccWC_qkHkY0/...otton_pads.jpg
I usually split those in half and roll them up as the next step. Then I stuff those rolls under the pads of the phones - as many as it takes to create the desired effect. With the W1000, I've stuffed some of those rolls under the top side and the front side of the pads. The change I'm experiencing must be due to the bass frequencies resonating more inside the cup, it really helps the bass impact and makes them more enjoyable to me.
The weird thing is: I've done similar things with L3000 too, though this mod involves even more padding applied all the way round, creating deeper earcups overall. With the L3000, stuffing up those pads helps reduce the bass a bit due to the increased distance to the driver. It seems those effects are a bit unpredictable, but the mod is super simple and always reversible - there's nothing to lose. I for one won't undo those mods anytime soon
smily_headphones1.gif

[/OT]

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #23 of 36
^
^

thanks for clarification.
biggrin.gif

I'll try it soon with my W100.
smily_headphones1.gif

--------

Don't forget DAC as well. To me it improves SQ far more than getting new amp esp. you use laptop as your main source.
smily_headphones1.gif

or you can get dac/amp combo like Corda Cantate first. then save up your money for K701.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont want to get any more cordas. i didn't like the dryness of the mids of the headfive i had

Try the Headroom Micro line. The Ultra Micro amp just received a very nice review and I can say that the Portable Micro Amp/DAC is very musical - especially wiith K701s.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #29 of 36
hehehe well thats in a different price range altogether. it better be good.
Hmm these ultramicros are interesting. wonder how it fares against the gilmore lite. I'll post in the amp forum

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #30 of 36
but Cantate is better than headfive no doubt huh?
biggrin.gif

getting combo is way to go. then get K701 later.
biggrin.gif

---------

about HR amp, IMO you should aim for the desktop module instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back