Title removed
Feb 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus

Feb 13, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 46
Isn't this a bit like asking someone to disprove God?

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 46
Though there are some similarities, and an argument (which in my opinion would fail) over burden of proof could be asserted in response to the OP; I could indeed come up with predictions based on a model of actual differences and incompatable with the other models mentioned.

The most obvious would be blind testing. We do it all the time on other things (speakers, soda, etc) with successfully found differences.

For example: If we could show that cables could be identified by sound alone: we would effectively disprove all of the above.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 46
Jerry, the problem is that no listening test has ever been passed.

What I find curious is that the believers sit around and throw rocks at anyone who disagrees with their opinion.

I cannot think of a single believer who actually put himself to the test to prove what they assert. And it's a simple matter, really. Identify cables - or simply the sounds they make - while not knowing which cable they're listening to.

But not one has tried.

I've measured cables, and many skeptics have performed tests. Funny thing is that I'm pretty sure that skeptics would change their position if they found a shred of evidence. I sure would. And then I'd use whatever I found to start selling cables. The profits are terrific, I just have a problem with the dishonesty of claiming what cannot be demonstrated. But if I could demonstrate something, hey, that crow would be delicious considering margins in the cable industry.

Back to the initial point, I think that believers are afraid of what they'll find. They know very well that all tests have failed. Deep down, they probably suspect that they've been cheated. If there really was something there, it would have been teased out through measurements or listening tests.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 46

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 46
I don't buy it to be honest. In my experience cables have always had an influence on the ultimate sound. Not always good and not often profound, but the differences are there.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 46

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 46
deadhorse.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 46
I had identical K701s, with the dual entry mods and balanced XLR connections. One was a Moon Audio Black Dragon, and the other was from A Pure Sound, I'm not sure what version. There were very obvious and noticeable differences in the two, plugged into the same amp at the same time (WA22). I am certain I could have passed a DBT with the two of them, as besides dynamics there was a definite volume difference as well. I don't think volume matching should be done with otherwise identical headphones.

I was hoping for an identical sound signature (they looked the same with their silver techflex, assumed the APS was also a Moon before I got a hold of it) so I don't think placebo was at play here. I don't think a company like Moon Audio could keep re-wiring headphones for so long and keep their great rep intact if it doesn't make a difference.

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 46
Be prepared for someone telling you of sample variability in the actual manufacturing of the headphones themselves.

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 46
Yeah I was thinking of adding manufacturing variance as a disclaimer but decided against it 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back