Tired of switching - please help!
Oct 31, 2001 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nicke2323

New Head-Fier
I finally got a headamp (Corda) to go with my HD600 and upgraded to the Clou red replacement cable and better interconnects at the same time. I am very satisfied with the sound, but ...

I'm tired of switching interconnects between the Corda and my integrated amp whenever I change from speakers to headphones or back. I figure this can't be an uncommon problem at this forum, so tell me how you fix this! Should I get a CD player with multiple outs? Or a switching or splitting device? I don't want to degrade the sound though!

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2001 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 14
If your amp has pre-amp outs you should be able to plug your Corda into there. Otherwise I'm not sure what you would do, other than get a signal splitter. However, if such a device exists in the audiophile world, I'm sure it's extremely expensive...but then you knew that already, right?

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Well now, if you built your own using some good internal wiring and RCA jacks, you could probably build it for $15...

Oct 31, 2001 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 14
nicke2323: If your int. amp dont have what beni described, than you got a few choices:
1: Get a RCA splitter. 1-->2 Output. Pretty cheap. @ least get the gold plated once. Not sure about sound quality though
2: Get another amp(Cans) with output. That is if you can bare to leave the Corda behind
3: Get another CDP specially for cans.
biggrin.gif

Take your pick.

Anders

Oct 31, 2001 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 14
Most people use the (tape/CD) record out RCAs of preamp/integrated to connect headphone amp to main system. This way both main speakers and heaphones get sound, just turn down volume of set you don't want to use, rec out not effected by main volume control of integrated/preamp, you use Corda volume control for headphones.

If for some reason you can't do this check into one piece gold plated RCA 1=2 splitter for CDP output RCAs. Radio Shack makes cheapies, for better quality get Monster Cable, Vampire etc.

Oct 31, 2001 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

However, if such a device exists in the audiophile world, I'm sure it's extremely expensive...but then you knew that already, right?

You mean like this :

Moth Audio PS5
ps5.jpg

Passive 5 input selector switch with tape out.
$395

Best go with what other have posted.
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Most people use the (tape/CD) record out RCAs of preamp/integrated to connect headphone amp to main system. This way both main speakers and heaphones get sound, just turn down volume of set you don't want to use, rec out not effected by main volume control of integrated/preamp, you use Corda volume control for headphones.

I agree with this method. If you hook it up to the preamp out then the vol control on the integrated will come into play and you may not be able to selectively listen to headphone or speaker. In addition some integrated amps make you choose (either actively or passively) whether you use the preamp outs or the speaker outs (internal power).

Oct 31, 2001 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I'm tired of switching interconnects between the Corda and my integrated amp whenever I change from speakers to headphones or back. I figure this can't be an uncommon problem at this forum, so tell me how you fix this!

Yes, it's uncommon!
tongue.gif

You can either use the Pre-out

or

Tape Loop OUT

Both works.

Oct 31, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 14
Tape out will work fine, with one possible problem- The Corda may lower the volume of the rest of the system, when plugged in to the tape record out jacks. It may also affect the sound of the main system. Try it with and without the Corda plugged in and see if you here any differance. (the Corda being turned on or off may also make a differance.)

Oct 31, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks everyone for the useful replies!

I'm not particularly worried that the Corda will change the sound of the main system. However, I am worried that wiring the headamp via the tape out of my integrated amp will degrade the sound to my headphones.

Do you think I will get better sound (in my headphones) this way or using an RCA1->2 adapter (Y-connector) at my CD player's output?

I'll listen carefully when I have time this weekend, but what do you think is better?

Oct 31, 2001 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 14
I have a very good stereo system, also own Corda/Senn HD600
and I use record out RCAs from my preamp, I really feel this is the best option unless you are already using tape deck/CD recorder.

BTW Corda/Senn HD600 is a match made in heaven, I think the designer used Senn HD600 as reference headphones to voice amp, really work well together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back