Tips to avoid vibrations?
Sep 23, 2001 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Pierre Lambion

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I guess you have plenty of tricks an dtips to reduce vibrations of your hi-fi elements.

My specific problem is that I have very little flexibilty on where to put my micro system. It is not on a dedicated piece of furniture and it is near a door.
As we have a wood floor, every time we go along the micro system, it receives a lot of vibration and the cd player skips. It happens also with the portable cd player I plugged to it.

What would you recommend that I put between the floor and the furniture and/or between the furniture and the micro system? I'm looking for something efficient but not too much visible (married and with a kid!).

Any advice welcome,

Pierre

Sep 23, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm not sure if these would stop vibration on that order of magnitude but you might want to try those Sorbothane things or Vibra pods... Or maybe you can build some type of platform with springs on the bottom...

Sep 23, 2001 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 11
An option is to move the system to a wall mounted shelf. It works amazingly well to eliminate problems in turntables. Secure the shelf to the studs, I bet your problem will go away.

Sep 23, 2001 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 11
QUICK AND DIRTY ISOLATION PLATFORM (and cheap as crap too)
Get yourself a 12" bicycle inner tube and a nice maple cutting board.Put the "slightly" inflated innertube under the board,mini-system on top of that , and then on top of the system some zip lock bags filled with sand.Adjust the tube inflation as required-but not too much or it will not perform as needed

R..R..Ri.......AHHHHH ! THAT'S BETTER..........RICK
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2001 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 11
In addition to the Rickster’s solution you can also try mine. I use two pieces of 3/4" oak with a 1/8" sheet of sorbothane between them. I then use four isolation cones; tip down underneath the oak/sorbothane sandwich. This will not necessarily be any better than the tube solution, but it does tend to have a higher spousal approval factor. This may not be important for you, but certainly is for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2001 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Sorbothane is a rubbery polymer that absorbs vibrations. I bought mine in 24" x 24" sheets from McMaster-Carr (put sorbothane in as a search). I used the 50 durometer (sponginess) sheets and am very satisfied with the way it works.

The cones are made of different materials from metals to ceramics and even wood. I use both the small and large cones from Audio Selections since they are relatively cheap ($4.99 and $7.99 each). They also make support discs so they don't scratch the floor or furniture ($2.99 each and also important for SAF). I order mine from music direct.

Sep 24, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Pierre
I like vibrapods, simple and not visible, don't know if they are cheap in France like they are here. Or as suggested above,
go to childrens bicycle section of department store and get 12x2
bicycle innertube and partially inflate, set mini system system on it, normally will not be visible. If tube is bigger than mini-system base, place shelf on tube for mini-system to set on.

Many people with turntables use wall mounted shelf, as vibrations
are not as great vs floor.

Sep 24, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 11
Spousal approval : What could look better than a 1" thick maple platform ? If the color does not suit,stain it
smily_headphones1.gif

Cutting boards are a blank slate as far as finish,chemicals and food do not mix (don't tell the cattle farmers).Since my "wood"furniture is either solid cherry or cherry stained hardwood,the maple with a clear finish (3 coats) makes a very nice contrast.THe innertube is basic black and in the deflated state is barely visible.I use this system under my 50+1 CD player and have not had a disc skip since.As far as the sandbags,ugly as ****.But I picked up some leather and covered the bags for a better look.You could also use a wood cigar box filled with pennies for the "mass" loading.
The solution I mentioned above is a synergistic whole.Best results for ME at least are added mass (sandbags) to damp the chassis,lowers the internal vibration that ALL mechanical devices generate,and then isolation from extrnal influences such as footsteps and low bass from a subwoofer,you are on your own with earthquakes,only so much the rickster can do
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
Spousal approval : What could look better than a 1" thick maple platform ? If the color does not suit,stain it
smily_headphones1.gif

.As far as the sandbags,ugly as ****.But I picked up some leather and covered the bags for a better look.You could also use a wood cigar box filled with pennies for the "mass" loading.
The solution I mentioned above is a synergistic whole.Best results for ME at least are added mass (sandbags) to damp the chassis,lowers the internal vibration that ALL mechanical devices generate,and then isolation from extrnal influences such as footsteps and low bass from a subwoofer,you are on your own with earthquakes,only so much the rickster can do
very_evil_smiley.gif

The sandbags are what did me in.
mad.gif
Plus I have found that despite all the ridiciulous claims about the different cone materials they really do work as far as not allowing vibrations to come up from the floor, but it seems to be more about geometry than materials. Just ask the Egyptians
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back