Tips on everyday wireless IEM/earbuds (~$350)
Apr 13, 2019 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

donkee

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

First time poster from Sweden. I’m looking to purchase my first wireless earbuds (is it called canalphones? The closed, passive noise isolating types.), and I’m looking for something that hopefully will satisfy my needs. I’ve been trying to read up on this tech, but it’s overwhelming to say the least.

I need a pair of true wireless, everyday earbuds to easily swap between an Apple Watch, iPhone, MacBook and possibly one or two other “average joe” sources.

My budget is ~$350, but I could increase it for the right unicorn.

So, to the wishlist:
  • Sound; I have no real preference, but I prefer a rich base
  • Stereo phone call
  • Ambient sound function (aka transparency)
  • Ability to use either earbud by itself, both music and calls
  • 5+ hrs battery per charge
  • Watch video with no discernible audio latency
  • Active noise canceling preferred
  • Sweat proof
I seem to find earbuds that checks most of the boxes, but never all of them. Any tips would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a great forum!

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 3
We would usually refer to what you are describing as some sort of in-ear monitor, or IEM, for short. I suppose I have heard the term canalphones, but I don't believe it is used much here. :) Ear buds often are a confusing term, as some people use them to refer to an IEM, in the ear, and others use them in the old sense of the term to describe something that sits outside the external auditory canal--like the original iphone buds did. So, it is quite confusing much of the time, as different people use different words to describe the same thing. :frowning2:

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 3
We would usually refer to what you are describing as some sort of in-ear monitor, or IEM, for short. I suppose I have heard the term canalphones, but I don't believe it is used much here. :) Ear buds often are a confusing term, as some people use them to refer to an IEM, in the ear, and others use them in the old sense of the term to describe something that sits outside the external auditory canal--like the original iphone buds did. So, it is quite confusing much of the time, as different people use different words to describe the same thing. :frowning2:

Thank you, that helps clearing up the terms a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back