Tips for getting the best out of custom moulds
Apr 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #17 of 38
I used a bite block and the audiologist I went to new to leave a millimeter or two of extra length ( depth of the dam ) for the customer IEM manufacturer.  It is also key to have a good audiologist / technician as to avoid any bubbling or early removal of the molds.  My JH Audio 10 x3 Pro fit superbly with a very slight seal issue on the right ear, but with a little fanagling the seal can be made perfect.

Here is some advice from JH Audio.

"Bust out the bubble wrap and pack your impressions so they can't bounce around, double check to make sure they won't get smashed during transit (this goes for repairs too!!), then send them on to the lab: JH AUDIO / ATTN: Lab 2517 East Semoran Blvd. Apopka, FL 32703"

"An ambient vent is a small tube, which is bored into an earpiece to limit isolation. This allows the user to hear outside, "ambient" sounds. Typically, stage performers who do not wish to be completely cut-off from their audiences request the ambient vent option. If you won't be taking the stage, we wouldn't recommend you go for this option — as it can drastically affect the sound quality of the earpieces."

If you want the best seal be sure to not have an ambient vent installed.

Hope that helps.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 38
I got ACS to make me custom tips for my IE8's a couple of years ago. After a couple of failed attempts they sent thier own Audiologist to my home to take impressions (!)  Both times the impressions were closed mouth. Having had two sets made from the new moulds and still having seal issues I gave up. Partly because I felt ACS had gone way beyond the price I paid and partly because life is too short!
Recently I bought the ACS T-15's and could not resist getting tips made for them. I explained my history and asked if I had weird ears!
I was sent to an associate of thiers who lives just down the road from me. When he heard what I had to say he immediately said "open mouthed it is then". I used a bite block which held my mouth open a good inch and dribbled over his carpet for 10 minutes.
Got the tips back. Perfect fit. Happiness.
happy_face1.gif

So from my experience I would say that the expertise of the audiologist and the manufacturer are both very important. Using an audiologist who is completely familiar with custom 'phones cannot be a bad thing and using a top notch company like ACS pays dividends in customer service and patience in getting the job right.
All the faffing around is definitely worthwhile IME. HTH

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #19 of 38
hi there,
i would recommend a bite block and to use a great audiologist - in Melbourne the best is Dineen and Wescott in Heidelburg - i send all my Ultimate Ears clients there with great results.They charge $70 and have done about 20 people now for me with no problems. My UE11s that they did for me are fantastic.
If you need any more info drop me a line
Ade

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 38
Do you really need a great Audiologist to make your impressions ? 

I've always failed to understand the skill needed for a 1 minute task.

I think the issue is with the IEM manufacture fail to replicate them.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

The fact that you don't understand the skill needed is exactly why an experienced audiologist is needed. They do understand, and have, the skill needed.

Quote:

No, the custom company only has the earmolds you give them to work with. The fit can only be as good as the earmolds are. Any problems in the earmolds will be reflected in the ciem. Blaming the custom company when you already admit you don't understand what goes into making a great set of earmolds seems like an assertion based on nothing.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:
Yes.

The fact that you don't understand the skill needed is exactly why an experienced audiologist is needed. They do understand, and have, the skill needed.

No, the custom company only has the earmolds you give them to work with. The fit can only be as good as the earmolds are. Any problems in the earmolds will be reflected in the ciem. Blaming the custom company when you already admit you don't understand what goes into making a great set of earmolds seems like an assertion based on nothing.

Can you tell me what's hard about injecting a silicone based material into your ear canal ? I am not being sarcastic at all, if this is a hard task then my job is close to rocket science. 

JHA even states that if you don't want to visit an Audiologist, you can order an impression kit online. 

If an Audiologist fails at such task, then I don't think he's good at anything at all. It's not a heart surgery you know... Trust me my father is a surgeon, he couldn't stop laughing when I told him how complex making impressions looks like.

And btw... impressions aren't for custom IEMs only, Audiologists make it for hearing aids mostly, the average one have done it hundreds of time.

From my experience, I sent JHA two sets of impressions for different Audiologist and both look exactly the same.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Can you tell me what's hard about injecting a silicone based material into your ear canal ? I am not being sarcastic at all, if this is a hard task then my job is close to rocket science. 

JHA even states that if you don't want to visit an Audiologist, you can order an impression kit online. 

If an Audiologist fails at such task, then I don't think he's good at anything at all. It's not a heart surgery you know... Trust me my father is a surgeon, he couldn't stop laughing when I told him how complex making impressions looks like.

And btw... impressions aren't for custom IEMs only, Audiologists make it for hearing aids mostly, the average one have done it hundreds of time.

From my experience, I sent JHA two sets of impressions for different Audiologist and both look exactly the same.

If your Father has no respect for a fellow professional then he is a typical arrogant surgeon and you are obviously your Fathers son.

Apr 3, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

There are companies that will send you a DIY impression kit, and you don't have to go to an audiologist.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:
If your Father has no respect for a fellow professional then he is a typical arrogant surgeon and you are obviously your Fathers son.

I think I need to rephrase because you have issue understanding proper english : He was laughing at me for thinking that ear impression procedure is complex. It's one of the easiest tasks for an Audiologist. People tend to waste $100+ on ear impressions when they can do it for much cheaper.

This is my opinion and I have no intention in continuing this conversation with you.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #29 of 38
The process may not seem complicated, but certainly there is a proper technique and having someone with experience making custom IEM molds is a huge plus.  Sure a 6 year old can change a car tire, but having someone with more experience and attention to detail will probably avoid many problems.

Some of the problems are found here:

1.)  Blending the silicone to avoid bubbles

2.)  Properly installing the dam 1-2mm deeper than usual ( CIEM vs Hearing aid )

3.)  Allowing proper time for the silicone to cure

4.)  Removing the silicone molds so they do not tear, bubble, or leave material inside the ear

5.)  Having insurance just in case something goes terribly wrong

So yeah I went to an audiologist and would again.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #30 of 38
I would certainly prefer anyone squirting gunk into my ears to be experienced. I would not entertain DIY. I have read of the process going wrong. Not pleasant. I was really pleased with the approach of the guy who did my recent moulds. Less so with the original audiologist whose moulds ended in failure so again I think there is a difference between a good and not so good practitioner. ACS speciality is hearing protection as well as IEM's. A lot of experience in both areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back