Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Nov 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #406 of 1,162
Hi there

To be honest I didn't like UD 110 too much, midrange is not enough wide for my taste.
Good bass, decent treble but voices are not enjoyable

But I can tell you I tried with:

Mac imac it was, perfectly working
NAS Synology 213 working perfectly with an USB extension, without some EMC glitch
Samsung S3 doesn't worked
iPad worked with 1 USB adaptor and 1eur USB hub .. Funny

Regards

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #407 of 1,162
Doh! Less mid noooo :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #408 of 1,162
Yes but mi also the guy which found the IBasso d 12 unnatural ( I'm blaspheme in this forum saying that) even if re evaluated bit my decision later on when it has been sold .... Anyhow touch and feel has been not so positive but what made my sad... It was the fact I wasn't able to make it working with samsung

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #410 of 1,162
Just found this thread...Nice write-up and updates ClieOS! This is an important topic and an important product category: low-cost, high-performance, thumb-drive DACs. 
It's great there are real-world (=high-performance) alternatives to high-priced models such as Meridian, DragonFly, etc.
Curious as to why Stoner switched to the TI (PCM) DAC in favor of the high-rated ESS. ESS has newer 32-bit models out now for portable use, so perhaps a future model by Stoner can incorporate those. 

In any case, Stoner is off to a very good start ... thx!!!

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #411 of 1,162
  Curious as to why Stoner switched to the TI (PCM) DAC in favor of the high-rated ESS. ESS has newer 32-bit models out now for portable use, so perhaps a future model by Stoner can incorporate those. 

If you means the 2M series, all three DAC in the series output differential signal and thus you need opamps to convert it back to single-ended and drive it to line-level. Not that it can't be done but it will drive up the cost and won't be as small as possible.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #412 of 1,162

If you means the 2M series, all three DAC in the series output differential signal and thus you need opamps to convert it back to single-ended and drive it to line-level. Not that it can't be done but it will drive up the cost and won't be as small as possible.

Good point, but it's worth it. I like the AD8397 opamp (+ LPF). Also, the ESS9023 was ESS's lower-end DAC, w/o ASRC -- their higher-end DACs are better. So, $10-15 cost increase is next to nothing -- esp. as when as an alt. and not as a replacement model -- and the increase in SQ should be significant. I, DIY breadboarded something similar a while ago with very good results.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #413 of 1,162
  Can anyone chime in on the SQ differences between the UD110 and Dragonfly? I searched the thread and found no conclusive answer...

Perhaps because ....they are in diff. price categories and those who can only afford UD110 can't shell out for Dragonfly, Meridian, etc.
Perhaps because ....those who can afford (and buy) the more $$ stuff don't believe a budget device can sound decent.
Perhaps because ....reviewers that do receive review samples won't speak too much (or too loudly) when a budget overachiever from some unrecognized upstart enters the product category. I.e., POLITICS. 
Perhaps because ....the device category -- thumb-drive DACs -- isn't as popular (and as POPULATED) as iPods and DAPs. I.e., it's still early in the game.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #414 of 1,162
Haven't trudged thru this entire thread, so I'll be lazy and ask for opinions on DAP comparisons below...

UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs. iPod Touch
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs Astell Kern (any DAP)
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs. Teclast t-51/S:Flo2
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs. Colorfly CK4 or C4
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs. iBasso DX100
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs. HiFi-Man (any DAP)
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs. FiiO X3 
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs. IHIFI960
UD100/110+Galaxy/etc. vs.  [any DAP you have compared it with]

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #415 of 1,162
  Can anyone chime in on the SQ differences between the UD110 and Dragonfly? I searched the thread and found no conclusive answer...

Fairly comparable in terms of SQ. Dragonfly is a better product and works with USB3 with no issues whereas the UD110 won't work with my Laptop's USB ports...

I don't think the Dragonfly is $200 better, maybe $100 (build quality etc)

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #418 of 1,162

I still can't get my UD110 to work w/ my Galaxy S4 w/ Android 4.2.2 or 4.3.  Tried w/ USB OTG + 3 different USB hubs.

I got mine (mk2)  today straight from Stoner Acoustics. As I understand it I got the latest version with a new firmware. It is supposed to work with a lot more devices.
You might want to contact Stoner Acoustics to get more informations regarding the update.

Nov 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #419 of 1,162
nice to see how this tiny stuff sound great. but, I wondering, why they don't concern about output impedance?
I thought it would be more reliable for direct plugin. 
I have not enough knowledge about it, but look around another product have at least one opamp addition for doing this job.  
sorry for my bad english 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back