Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jan 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #228 of 1,162
How long of a cable do you need?  Fiio L2 , but it is just a short jumper 4' between connectors.  Fiio has other longer ones.  Blue Jeans Cable can make one for you or just grab one from monoprice or C2G.

Did you get the new desktop model dac?

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #232 of 1,162
Both were supposed to run through an analogue volume pot. Without the amp you're just listening as if from the RCA outputs.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #235 of 1,162
Quote:
Did you get the new desktop version with the isolated psu?

The built-in USB Isolator won't improve sound, at least not if your USB port is decently clean. But having it definitely won't hurt.

Quote:

I understand that. What I am saying is that this is a poor design if you want to use it as a DAC feeding into an amp.

It could be useful if the amp can't take full 2V swing. Any case, it should be easy to bypass it if wanted.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #236 of 1,162
Quote:

I understand that. What I am saying is that this is a poor design if you want to use it as a DAC feeding into an amp.

Ahh thanks I see what you mean.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #237 of 1,162
hello everyone

I received the good dac hiifimediy yesterday and I'm pretty enerve, let me explain.
j jriver uses version 18, with a laptop and connected to the pc and dac and my dock jbl on beat extrem (on the entry in line 15 kohms).
J have downloaded the driver hifimediy 64 bit.
j have configured WASAPI event style on jriver.
j I put the buffer from 100 to 250 ms to see.

result, I have little sizzling noise as small, and I put high on the dock as the sound becomes saturated, I have the impression that I can also put on his jriver thoroughly either, because it increases crackling.

the sound in this context is not genial, generally at moderate volume I found a little round. I precise that I already dac in the poppulse super pro 707 and tubemagic maverick d1.

if someone could help me understand what is happening

thank you in advance

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #240 of 1,162
FWIW, check out this thread....supposedly there are 'problems' with the design of some of the HiFimed dacs (as well as the ODAC), and fixes are discussed.  I guess whether one thinks there are problems might depend upon whether you believe all dacs/chips perform about the same, jitter is irrelevant, etc. 

I do not have the technical background to weigh in, nor do I want to start an "objectivist" vs "subjectivist" flame-war.....

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2260&p=47240&hilit=Thorsten#p47240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back