Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Oct 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #121 of 1,162
Still waiting for my ud100, but I don't expect it for another week or two anyway. I got my e6 and I have to say I'm very impressed. Mind you, I've never had my own amp before, so I have nothing to compare this too except for going unampped. But so far the e6 has cut out 90% of the hiss from my s3 and MacBook pro(2010) to my jh5s. The sound is definitely improved, but I can't tell how much since the hiss was so distracting before I got this amp. I guess the real test of this amp will be when I get my dac......Still if a $25 amp can make such a big difference, I'm beginning to wonder what a real amp will sound like. Argh, why did ever venture into this website!!!! My wife is already giving me suspicious looks every time I get a new package in front of my door.....

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #122 of 1,162
Quote:
Still waiting for my ud100, but I don't expect it for another week or two anyway. I got my e6 and I have to say I'm very impressed. Mind you, I've never had my own amp before, so I have nothing to compare this too except for going unampped. But so far the e6 has cut out 90% of the hiss from my s3 and MacBook pro(2010) to my jh5s. The sound is definitely improved, but I can't tell how much since the hiss was so distracting before I got this amp. I guess the real test of this amp will be when I get my dac......Still if a $25 amp can make such a big difference, I'm beginning to wonder what a real amp will sound like. Argh, why did ever venture into this website!!!! My wife is already giving me suspicious looks every time I get a new package in front of my door.....

I had a similar experience. That E6 is amazing. I recently upgraded to an ALO "The National"... (10 times the price) and I still feel the E6 is a great sounding portable amp. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #124 of 1,162
Quote:
How does it compare for example with this one? Link

I forgot to mention, I bought the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC ES9023 + Tenor TE7022, 96khz/24bit, 96/24 in that link a few days ago.  I'll post something about it when it comes.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #126 of 1,162
Got mine today so I quickly tried it on my laptop with my O2 and my 5 minutes with it was pretty enjoyable. I used Foobar and to my surprise the volume in Foobar was working. I had the assumption that it would not work.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #131 of 1,162
Quote:
That's a joke, right?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question... Why would I be joking? 
confused.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #132 of 1,162
HeadphoneAddict has one and has already posted his initial thoughts.  Read the whole thread for everyone's opinions :)
Quote:
My Brief 1st Impressions:  

This is an audible upgrade over feeding the headphone-out of my Macbook Pro into the A2 and A5 speakers with stands.  The treble extension and presence is a little better with UD100 vs with the MBP alone or with my original uDAC, with a slightly bigger and less forward soundstage too.  In the past I've written that the original uDAC was just a little too dark with the Audioengine speakers, and I had switched to the DACport until I got my uDAC-2 and Audioengine D1.  The uD100 is a good match for these speakers.

But overall, the uDAC-2 and Audioengine D1 line-out both seem to have a little bigger soundstage than the uD100, with the DACport surpassing even those in soundstage depth and size.  Still, for $50 it shouldn't sound this close to the $130-170 DACs via line-out.  These all seem to have fairly comparable levels of detail (not including the original uDAC).  I do not think the UD100 is in the same league as my HDP with S11 PSU.  I know the S11 PSU makes the HDP sound more refined and holographic, but I can't compare things with the stock PSU right now because it's been misplaced.  Based on my past comparisons of stock HDP to the uDAC-2, and knowing where uDAC-2 stands vs the uD100, I don't think I would say that the uD100 is on par with the HDP as a DAC only.  Still, the UD100 is surprisingly good for the price (and size).

I do really wish that the volume could be controlled by the computer, or that it had some kind of physical volume control.  Instead I have to reach behind the A2 speakers to adjust the volume, or use a Westone in-line attenuator between the DAC and the speakers, which hurts clarity slightly.  Compared to my old $49 Headstage DAC cable (a PCM2706 by itself) the sound is also miles ahead.  But at least the Headstage DAC cable can have the volume adjusted via the PC system volume control, and it's using the same USB receiver chip as the UD100.

I bought the same TF card reader to transplant the DAC into later, but TF reader showed up in lime-green instead of black, so it's a little more fun but less professional looking.  No pics until I get this DAC installed.  I'm going to try feeding the UD100 into my SR-71b balanced amp in the next few days, and try it with my LCD-2 and HE-500.  More to come later (when I feel like it).

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #133 of 1,162
Quote:
HeadphoneAddict has one and has already posted his initial thoughts.  Read the whole thread for everyone's opinions :)

As a matter of fact, I'm following this thread since it's beginning, as I was one of the first to ask ClieOS about a review of the UD100 when he first posted a picture of it in the portable rigs thread some time ago. It happens that I don't re-read the hole thread from the start every time I'm about to post something, and I forgot that the user had already posted his initial impression about the UD100. In fact, I actually checked his profile before I addressed the question, but there's no mention about the UD100 there, among many other gear. It was an honest question, and I wasn't trying to joke anyone... Anyway, thank you for pointing that out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back