Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
May 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #541 of 1,162
Compared UD100 with Aune T1 DAC as source for my Edifier R1900Tiii speaker, UD100 excel in everything. Better bass, more impact and energy, sound cleaner, better clarity, more energy. Aune T1 sound muddy and loose bass. Such a gem. I ask a friend who doesn't have a clue about audiophile, he found that UD100 way better than Aune T1 DAC.

Now, need 3.5mm to RCA so I can use UD100 with Crack. :D

May 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #542 of 1,162
  Compared UD100 with Aune T1 DAC as source for my Edifier R1900Tiii speaker, UD100 excel in everything. Better bass, more impact and energy, sound cleaner, better clarity, more energy. Aune T1 sound muddy and loose bass. Such a gem. I ask a friend who doesn't have a clue about audiophile, he found that UD100 way better than Aune T1 DAC.

Now, need 3.5mm to RCA so I can use UD100 with Crack. :D

Tried tube rolling yet?

May 25, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #543 of 1,162
  Tried tube rolling yet?

My best tube Amperex OG 6DJ88 is not a match to UD100 to me and my friend's ear. Totally different. You can detect right after 5 second you play the track! Give it a try if you doubt me.

I won't get tube that cost me more than my current tube because for what I spent, I should get a better DAC. Need 3.5mm to RCA to confirm that UD100 is indeed better for my Crack and HD600.

May 28, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #544 of 1,162
Hi

Just finished building a O2 amp and have it hooked up to a y1 DAC http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma1/ that has a Wolfson WM8501 - 24-bit 192KHz chip.
Pretty happy with the SQ but I'm wondering if the UD100/110 DAC will be a significant improvement as the y1 may be a bit long in the tooth by now? 
Anyone heard the y1 DAC to compare it with the UD100/110; or perhaps the Wolfson chip is inferior to the Sabre ES9023 chip?

Thanks for any replies.

Tim

May 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #545 of 1,162
  Hi

Just finished building a O2 amp and have it hooked up to a y1 DAC http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma1/ that has a Wolfson WM8501 - 24-bit 192KHz chip.
Pretty happy with the SQ but I'm wondering if the UD100/110 DAC will be a significant improvement as the y1 may be a bit long in the tooth by now? 
Anyone heard the y1 DAC to compare it with the UD100/110; or perhaps the Wolfson chip is inferior to the Sabre ES9023 chip?

Thanks for any replies.

Tim

The WM8501 might be a 24/192 chip, but the performance of the y1 is limited by the USB receiver to only 16/48 (same as UD100), unless you use the S/PDIFonly. UD110 will do 24/96.

Also, UD100 uses ES9023 while UD110 uses PCM5102. Purely on spec, both these DAC should offer noticeable improvement over WM8501. Of course, this is just guess as I have not heard the y1 myself.

May 29, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #546 of 1,162
Boys and girls, here is a picture of the next model, UD120. No other detail or ETA yet.

32bit/384khz@128FS async.

post-25960-1400942180.jpg

May 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #547 of 1,162
  Boys and girls, here is a picture of the next model, UD120. No other detail or ETA yet.

I just got a email from Stoner acoustics a bit ago with this photo and he was saying this summer is the eta. Likely before August. I am very excited about this product, it looks great.

May 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #548 of 1,162
Cool,
It's probably a bit much to ask, but if the new model worked with native Android USB audio, and drives IEM's to acceptable levels without an amp I'd happily pay quite a bit more than Stoner are asking for the current model.

Looking forward to reading more about this :)

May 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #549 of 1,162
Cool,
It's probably a bit much to ask, but if the new model worked with native Android USB audio, and drives IEM's to acceptable levels without an amp I'd happily pay quite a bit more than Stoner are asking for the current model.

Looking forward to reading more about this :)

If it is based on the same design philosophy as UD100/UD110, it probably will only offer line-out where output impedance will be fairly high and output current will be low. meaning not something you will want to drive a headphone directly.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #551 of 1,162
  I am currently a happy user of UD110, very clean sound with great clarity. I am looking forward to the release of UD120.

Yeah I am currently waiting to get the ud110 from a member in the community and I am desperately trying to find someone that is willing to sell theirs cheap in case it falls through. You would not happent o know anyone who is willing to sell their ud110? because I am out of work and it is all I can about afford right now. I am hoping the member who said they would mail me theirs actually does but I am not so sure because it has been a while. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #553 of 1,162
  Yeah I am currently waiting to get the ud110 from a member in the community and I am desperately trying to find someone that is willing to sell theirs cheap in case it falls through. You would not happent o know anyone who is willing to sell their ud110? because I am out of work and it is all I can about afford right now. I am hoping the member who said they would mail me theirs actually does but I am not so sure because it has been a while. 

I am sorry but I have not come to know anyone who wants to sell their UD110 at the moment. I am from Malaysia.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #554 of 1,162
  My Brief 1st Impressions:  

This is an audible upgrade over feeding the headphone-out of my Macbook Pro into the A2 and A5 speakers with stands.  The treble extension and presence is a little better with UD100 vs with the MBP alone or with my original uDAC, with a slightly bigger and less forward soundstage too.  In the past I've written that the original uDAC was just a little too dark with the Audioengine speakers, and I had switched to the DACport until I got my uDAC-2 and Audioengine D1.  The uD100 is a good match for these speakers.

But overall, the uDAC-2 and Audioengine D1 line-out both seem to have a little bigger soundstage than the uD100, with the DACport surpassing even those in soundstage depth and size.  Still, for $50 it shouldn't sound this close to the $130-170 DACs via line-out.  These all seem to have fairly comparable levels of detail (not including the original uDAC).  I do not think the UD100 is in the same league as my HDP with S11 PSU.  I know the S11 PSU makes the HDP sound more refined and holographic, but I can't compare things with the stock PSU right now because it's been misplaced.  Based on my past comparisons of stock HDP to the uDAC-2, and knowing where uDAC-2 stands vs the uD100, I don't think I would say that the uD100 is on par with the HDP as a DAC only.  Still, the UD100 is surprisingly good for the price (and size).

I do really wish that the volume could be controlled by the computer, or that it had some kind of physical volume control.  Instead I have to reach behind the A2 speakers to adjust the volume, or use a Westone in-line attenuator between the DAC and the speakers, which hurts clarity slightly.  Compared to my old $49 Headstage DAC cable (a PCM2706 by itself) the sound is also miles ahead.  But at least the Headstage DAC cable can have the volume adjusted via the PC system volume control, and it's using the same USB receiver chip as the UD100.

I bought the same TF card reader to transplant the DAC into later, but TF reader showed up in lime-green instead of black, so it's a little more fun but less professional looking.  No pics until I get this DAC installed.  I'm going to try feeding the UD100 into my SR-71b balanced amp in the next few days, and try it with my LCD-2 and HE-500.  More to come later (when I feel like it).

Where you saying in this that you prefer your Nuforce Udac2 over the UD100? Because I am able to pick up the Udac2 for 60$ right now.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #555 of 1,162
  I would say they're very close when amped. The Dragonfly v1.0 would not be in the running, but the v1.2 makes it more pleasurable and non-fatiguing. Unamped, I like the Dragonfly v1.2, but always listen with these amped. Like I said before, the biggest difference (for all 3 DACs) came with the addition of the USB isolation-power supply combo.

Can you give me a link of the USB isolation psu combo? I want to get one for the UD110 when it arrives. If you could give me a link and or a name of the kind you got would be appreciated, and are they affordable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back