Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Jan 3, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #991 of 1,162
  There is a usb isolator kit available from DIY member of trade here, could be interesting to those using usb powered DAC.  Would appreciate some impressions and measurements.  Really curious if it improves a usb powered DAC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703334/doodlebug-usb-isolator

http://www.beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=159&osCsid=66b6e98cf4b04859420fff148f370366

popcorn.gif

Have had good results with Olimex for eliminating noise. And of course there is the Wyrd.  olimex does require it's own power supply though http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Olimex-Ltd/USB-ISO/?qs=hO3QYTFrOd09eOKVRIujMQ%3d%3d

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #992 of 1,162
Jan 3, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #994 of 1,162
  Do you notice differences audibly? If so, what differences?  The Doodlebug is ground isolated also, is the Olimex ground isolated?  Wyrd is not, it's more like an expensive powered usb hub.

Audible Difference = No weird blurps from Mouse & other activity on PC which has been a problem with several DACs.  Beyond that?  If there was it was subtle and didn't jump out at me. Might be different impact on USB powered DAC though as I was using with AC powered DAC.  WYRD works well for above noise issues even if not isolated ground - but I've never had ground loop issues so can't comment if it addresses that.

Olimex Specs below:

FEATURES

1. USB isolation 1000VDC between USB host and USB device
  2. Fully USB 2.0 Compliant
  3. Full speed data rate 12 Mbps
  4. Bidirectional communication
  5. Short-circuit protection for xD+ and xD- lines
  6. Class 3A contact ESD performance per ANSI/ESD STM5.1-2007
  7. High common-mode transient immunity: >25 kV/µs
  8. USB_DEVICE connector- which is USB-B type and have to be connected to the PC USB host.
  9. USB_HOST connector which is USB-A type and have to be connected to the USB device like USB JTAG, programmer, debugger etc
  10. Power jack for external power supply with +8-15VDC, note this power jack is not isolated from the USB_HOST connector (the personal computer is always protected; the power supply and the device connected to the USB_HOST might influnce each other in case of fault)
  11. DC-DC converter supply isolated voltage to the USB_HOST from the USB_DEVICE if no external power supply is present
  12. Dimensions 41.5x36.5 mm (1.634x1.437")

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #995 of 1,162
  There's also the HiFiMeDIY USB Isolator (they also make a USB DAC which is fairly popular here on head-fi).  It might be the cheapest option at $28.99 but haven't tried it myself yet:

http://hifi.me/usb-isolator

Just FYI - as SilverEars noted the Wyrd includes a power supply so bit of apples and oranges on pricing.  No way to say this without sounding obnoxious but the $100 for Wyrd was not a "Sticking point" for me.  It matches my gear, includes high quality power supply so I just said what the hell ....   The HiFiMeDIY probably works just as well for "Strange noise" issues from USB - would not advise buying any of these on assumption that it will suddenly improve overall SQ.  I've used them because I had specific noise issues over USB to address.

As a side note I've used the UD120 with a Windows tablet and had to add a Y splitter to inject power as the tablet port did not provide enough juice and UD120 performed erratically - so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see other PC/Laptop ports not providing sufficient/quality power hence addition of external power might make a noticeable improvement.

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #997 of 1,162
  There's also the HiFiMeDIY USB Isolator (they also make a USB DAC which is fairly popular here on head-fi).  It might be the cheapest option at $28.99 but haven't tried it myself yet:

http://hifi.me/usb-isolator

This one seems like a better value than the Doodlebug.  Thanks!

I don't expect SQ improvement, but there are those that believe SQ would improve with better isolation.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #998 of 1,162
Not that this thread needs any more generic posts but I finally tried the 110 after buying it and leaving it my drawer for six months. I'm enjoying the heck out of. Not sure if it's the small signal path or some other recipe but it's a fine dac

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,000 of 1,162
Do you guys think that those tiny dacs can replace a full size, high end dedicated dac in home system?  I currently have a Dragonfly in my home system (laptop ->wyrd->DF->headroom ultra micro->HD800/SR325) which does a terrific job and sounds really awsome, and consider getting the meridian explorer2.
I really like those tiny great sounding toys :wink:  they are affordable also.   But can I count on them to serve as a dedicated dacs?   I know that the size don't matter,I only care about the sound...but can they sound the same?

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #1,002 of 1,162
  Could anybody possibly tell me if there is enough difference between the ud110 and the ud120 in terms of sound to be paying $20 more, or is ud110 discontinued and no longer available?

UD110 has been discontinued, but you can probably find 2nd hand unit around. Definitely goes fro the UD120 if you can. The extra $20 is well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back