Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Oct 13, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #931 of 1,162
http://imgur.com/a/7U786 << So which one do you use? Analog stereo with speakers or Digital Stereo with Digital Output?

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #932 of 1,162
  http://imgur.com/a/7U786 << So which one do you use? Analog stereo with speakers or Digital Stereo with Digital Output?

I'm gonna say Analog stereo with speakers because when I restarted and the Digital was selected, the sound was a lot less. I even maxed out my amp, and it was like there was no volume increase, so... plus I'm not even using S/PDIF. If I change back to Digital after using analog, the volume is higher, so, that must be a glitch.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #934 of 1,162

Change ALSA or Pulse Audio configuration, depending on what you use. Ubuntu uses the latter.

How is that done?

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #935 of 1,162
  Can anyone give their impressions of the UD110/120 vs. the Hifimediy Sabre U2? I'm rather new to DACs and trying to decide which to buy
It seems there's only a few comparisons of both and those were based on the older UD100 
The UD120 does have a longer warranty so I am leaning towards it a bit.

I have an O2 amp with AKG Q701s and Xonar DG currently, thanks!

I've been playing with the UD120 for a few days and really like it.  I'm coming from a Hifimediy U2 (non-asynchronous) and to be honest, the UD120 sounds VERY VERY similar but maybe a bit smoother and fuller.  I'm getting less listening fatigue with the UD120.  I am by no means anything close to an expert, but I'm using a pair of high resolution bookshelf speakers (MB Quart Veras) with an Indeed 2020 T-amp and I'm very satisfied.  I may show my wife how to switch between DACs on my PC and have her test me on which on I think it playing....hmmm interesting.

Oct 14, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #937 of 1,162

Edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

default-sample-format = s24le
default-sample-rate = 96000

Sweet! :) Thank you! Mine is set at 16 and 44.1. Any benefit to setting higher? Nevermind, lol. I was told why earlier on in this thread. I never got my question answered if it's detrimental by upping both though. I also edited the alernate sample rate to 44100 just in case :)

Oct 14, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #938 of 1,162
  Hmm, I selected the speakers output, which opened up the volume control. Bumping that up.
When I went back to the digital audio output source, output signal level was bumped too, requiring less gain on the E12 (and hence less noise).
Not sure if it is a matter of the Linux driver, or the chipset on the UD120 having configurable gain on the line out.
Or if the two virtual source exposed by the USB bus are, within the UD120, mapping to the same source (buffered one, with configurable gain).

http://imgur.com/a/7U786 << I have two choices on mine as well. Check out the link.

I'm gonna say use Analog stereo with speakers because when I restarted and the Digital was selected, the sound was a lot less. I even maxed out my amp, and it was like there was no volume increase, so... plus I'm not even using S/PDIF. If I change back to Digital after using analog, the volume is higher, so, that must be a glitch? Sounds like what you're explaning, but it doesn't really make sense to me, then again I'm only using the input, not line out.

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #940 of 1,162
Agree - I bought the Wryd just to solve some obvious electrical noise which it did plus adds a high quality pS for your USB DAC. Clean, simple, well built and no stupid claims about revealing the notes between the music...Whatever that means. $250 for a very capable DAC is nothing to dismiss.

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #941 of 1,162
Noob question. Do I need the bravo drivers for win 8.1 or will windows recognize the ud120 as an audio source by default. I'm not worried about 32 384 playback. I know that's what the driver is for, I just don't need it. I'm planning on using foobar wasapi with the ud120 feeding a magni. Cheers.

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #942 of 1,162
Noob question. Do I need the bravo drivers for win 8.1 or will windows recognize the ud120 as an audio source by default. I'm not worried about 32 384 playback. I know that's what the driver is for, I just don't need it. I'm planning on using foobar wasapi with the ud120 feeding a magni. Cheers.

Using Win 8.1 64 bit and yes I had to use driver in order for FB to even recognize it for WASAPI output. Tip - driver exe did not work for me. Had to right click on msi file and choose install. 3/4 of the way through it will appear to freeze. Alt-tab to a hidden popup window to finish install.

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #943 of 1,162
Using Win 8.1 64 bit and yes I had to use driver in order for FB to even recognize it for WASAPI output. Tip - driver exe did not work for me. Had to right click on msi file and choose install. 3/4 of the way through it will appear to freeze. Alt-tab to a hidden popup window to finish install.

Thanks for the reply. I have another noon question now lol. After installing the driver, will I have to add it as a component in foobar or will foobar be able to recognize it as an output device?

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #944 of 1,162
Thanks for the reply. I have another noon question now lol. After installing the driver, will I have to add it as a component in foobar or will foobar be able to recognize it as an output device?

You should see Bravo HD (ASIO or WASAPI) as Device option after reboot (Either are bit perfect but some people have a preference - but really shouldn't matter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back