Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120
Sep 28, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #901 of 1,162
Ah, I see. Thanks for the information guys. So is the UD120 worth the purchase? I already have one of these cheap PCM2704 chip DACs and this seems to be another budget type dac although the chip is clearly different. Does this tiny DIY compete with world class dacs? 

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #902 of 1,162
  Ah, I see. Thanks for the information guys. So is the UD120 worth the purchase? I already have one of these cheap PCM2704 chip DACs and this seems to be another budget type dac although the chip is clearly different. Does this tiny DIY compete with world class dacs? 

I have a hifimediy DAC, a UD120 and an ODAC. All are (IMHO) worth the money, but the best "bang for the buck" is the UD120 - by quite a large margin.

But get some more opinions first - IANAE!

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #904 of 1,162
Would you say the UD120 overall sounds better than the ODAC?

In my opinion, the ODAC is very slightly better - but *very* slightly. And, TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm fooling myself. I haven't had many hours on the UD yet, so definitely take with a pinch of salt. ATM I'm mostly on my portable system (X3 straight to IEMs) rather than my "transportable" system (ODAC or UD into O2 into HD600) so haven't managed to do a proper comparison.

Sep 28, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #905 of 1,162
In my opinion, the ODAC is very slightly better - but *very* slightly. And, TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm fooling myself. I haven't had many hours on the UD yet, so definitely take with a pinch of salt. ATM I'm mostly on my portable system (X3 straight to IEMs) rather than my "transportable" system (ODAC or UD into O2 into HD600) so haven't managed to do a proper comparison.
Thanks. It's honestly a challenge deciding on a budget DAC to use, at least until I decide to upgrade to a better one.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #907 of 1,162
Thanks. It's honestly a challenge deciding on a budget DAC to use, at least until I decide to upgrade to a better one.

Just had a few minutes to spare to A/B them. If you want a budget DAC to use until you upgrade then get the UD, no question. The difference in SQ is very, very slight - unlike the difference in price.

The ODAC has three advantages for me:

1) It runs much cooler so I'd expect it to last longer - though the UD doesn't get as hot as I thought it would. And, for my Epiphany ODAC at least, the ODAC feels more substantial, which also suggests more durability.

2) I mostly use my laptop as the source, and I quite often use my laptop, well, on my lap. That means I like a couple of feet of cable between my computer and the headphone amp. It's easier to keep that cable in the digital domain with the ODAC. I'd need a USB extension cable to do that with the UD. This also means that the cable that gets plugged/unplugged all the time is a more disposable standard USB one with the ODAC rather than the DAC itself with the UD (though that can also be addressed with a USB extension cable).

3) It works with my phone (Intl Galaxy S3) without any special software. This is not a huge one for me ATM, but it could be if my working habits change.

The UD has one advantage - it's smaller and lighter so is more portable.

Unless you can spend some time with both devices, I would choose based on the above rather than the SQ. If pushed, I'd say the ODAC was a little more detailed, and the UD was a little more musical - but I'm also pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to definitively pick one over the other in blind testing. But you should also know that it's still early days for me in the world of audiophilia, so if someone with more experience than me says there is more difference than I can hear, believe them.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #908 of 1,162
Even if you get enough power from the line out, the output impedence of the UD120 is 470 ohm. I assume even a high-impedence headphone would sound like mush out of it.

i think you meant LOW impedence?,but not really tho ,vsd3s is ALMOST the same just a bit softer ,but the sibilence does deter you from using the 3s with high volumes anyways

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #909 of 1,162
i think you meant LOW impedence?,but not really tho ,vsd3s is ALMOST the same just a bit softer ,but the sibilence does deter you from using the 3s with high volumes anyways
Well from what I understand the output impedence should ideally be less than 1/8 of the headphone impedence (to preserve frequency response). So even a high impedence headphone would probably sound warm out of it is what I meant.

Also as previously stated, the current output would be quite weak since it's a line out. Honestly getting a cheap amp like a CmoyBB or Fiio E11K would be worth it in this case in my opinion.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #910 of 1,162
Just had a few minutes to spare to A/B them. If you want a budget DAC to use until you upgrade then get the UD, no question. The difference in SQ is very, very slight - unlike the difference in price.

The ODAC has three advantages for me:

1) It runs much cooler so I'd expect it to last longer - though the UD doesn't get as hot as I thought it would. And, for my Epiphany ODAC at least, the ODAC feels more substantial, which also suggests more durability.

2) I mostly use my laptop as the source, and I quite often use my laptop, well, on my lap. That means I like a couple of feet of cable between my computer and the headphone amp. It's easier to keep that cable in the digital domain with the ODAC. I'd need a USB extension cable to do that with the UD. This also means that the cable that gets plugged/unplugged all the time is a more disposable standard USB one with the ODAC rather than the DAC itself with the UD (though that can also be addressed with a USB extension cable).

3) It works with my phone (Intl Galaxy S3) without any special software. This is not a huge one for me ATM, but it could be if my working habits change.

The UD has one advantage - it's smaller and lighter so is more portable.

Unless you can spend some time with both devices, I would choose based on the above rather than the SQ. If pushed, I'd say the ODAC was a little more detailed, and the UD was a little more musical - but I'm also pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to definitively pick one over the other in blind testing. But you should also know that it's still early days for me in the world of audiophilia, so if someone with more experience than me says there is more difference than I can hear, believe them.
Thanks for the advice :).

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #911 of 1,162
Well from what I understand the output impedence should ideally be less than 1/8 of the headphone impedence (to preserve frequency response). So even a high impedence headphone would probably sound warm out of it is what I meant.

Also as previously stated, the current output would be quite weak since it's a line out. Honestly getting a cheap amp like a CmoyBB or Fiio E11K would be worth it in this case in my opinion.

thats what i thought ,but after spending the money ,i believe JUST FOR MY CASE its not really worth it(low inpedence IEM) ,maybe its cause your currency is strong you dont feel the pain :D

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #912 of 1,162

I use a CmoyBB with UD120 >UAPP and it sounds great and now I've ordered a custom Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2 go with UD120 >DT770 250 ohms.
My next project is too Mod EHP-02 with Burson HA-160 opamp I hope it works well with the UD120.

sample http://www.headfonia.com/burson-ha-160-unboxing/2/
                     http://www.headfonia.com/audiotrak-imamp/3/

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #913 of 1,162
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #914 of 1,162
I've been using my UD120 almost exclusively at my desk at work with my iPhone and a powered USB hub (the UD120 is a huge battery drain on its own) and a Cayin or JDS Labs C5. and I love it. I can't see it replacing my O2+ODAC combo at home (for DAC duties) but it's a remarkable performer given the price.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #915 of 1,162
Anyone having issue with Bravo-HD Asio driver in Jriver?  Works fine in Foobar but crashes Jriver when selected.  WASAPI working fine.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back