Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Jun 29, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,397 of 1,427
I took the P1 apart and had a good look. Nothing behind the grill and the buzz isn't to do with internal wires touch the driver where they shouldn't. Must be an issue with the driver itself so have put the shell back together again.
After much debating and looking at graphs and reviews and bearing in mind I wanted a nice easy purchase experience, I've been lucky enough for my wife to buy me a pair of Fiio FD5 from Amazon UK for my birthday. So far I think they're excellent and that's only after an hour or so.
Once they've broken in I think I'll be very happy. Fast, deep bass, expansive and extended.
I've also written to Tin HiFi to see if there's any possibility to purchase just a single right-hand driver rather than a brand new pair with accessories. Seems pointless especially as several people have had the same problem.
One advantage is that I won't need a Qudelix 5K as they are much easier to drive so my ES100 will do the trick nicely.

Shame all in all as I did/do love the P1s
Can you tell me what kind of buzzing sound do you notice ? Is it like a grain/static when bass drops during certain frequencies ? I just got mine and I fear it has this issue too :/

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,399 of 1,427
Might just be that song, and being as how the P1 are detail monsters, you might not have noticed that passage before on other IEMs/headphones. I have had mine for a long time now, and have not heard of any other cases of an unnatural sound like that except @ davehutch.

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,400 of 1,427
Might just be that song, and being as how the P1 are detail monsters, you might not have noticed that passage before on other IEMs/headphones. I have had mine for a long time now, and have not heard of any other cases of an unnatural sound like that except @ davehutch.
Oh yes I'm definitely leaning towards that as well. The song was panda by designer. Haven't heard it on any other song so far.

I didn't want to return them as I got them for 65$ brand new (apparently). They sound different then anything else I've owned! Very special pair of iems.

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,401 of 1,427
Oh yes I'm definitely leaning towards that as well. The song was panda by designer. Haven't heard it on any other song so far.

I didn't want to return them as I got them for 65$ brand new (apparently). They sound different then anything else I've owned! Very special pair of iems.
WOW! That is a great deal. I think, even at the normal $160, they are much too cheap IMO. Congratulations on your new find! Get them burned-in a bit and revisit here with some impressions?! I always love to see people's thoughts on these.

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #1,402 of 1,427
Can you tell me what kind of buzzing sound do you notice ? Is it like a grain/static when bass drops during certain frequencies ? I just got mine and I fear it has this issue too :/
Hi there @thugangel123 Apologies for the late reply. I haven't been on here for a week or so. The buzzing is as if something is loose and only shows up below 200 Hz or so. Definitely not static or random noise. I used an online frequency generator (be very careful of volume) to test it out. A sine wave should sound pure and smooth but on my right channel, below a certain frequency it becomes a buzz.

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,403 of 1,427
I just sat down with the Tinhifi P1 ($152 on Linsoul). My impression is that the sound is a bit wonky, a bit unnatural to my ear from real life instruments. I feel bad even saying that because I can tell there's something really fun about these. If I could feel the music beyond what I'm getting on with this wonkyness (to my ear), then I would see these as a great set - especially for the price.

Fairly balanced tuning with a good clarity and hit in the mids. There's a kind of fun sound to them, but I just couldn't find myself to enjoy them when the wonky sound kept getting at me. I have some similar thoughts in my impressions video (just posted).

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,404 of 1,427
I just sat down with the Tinhifi P1 ($152 on Linsoul). My impression is that the sound is a bit wonky, a bit unnatural to my ear from real life instruments. I feel bad even saying that because I can tell there's something really fun about these. If I could feel the music beyond what I'm getting on with this wonkyness (to my ear), then I would see these as a great set - especially for the price.

Fairly balanced tuning with a good clarity and hit in the mids. There's a kind of fun sound to them, but I just couldn't find myself to enjoy them when the wonky sound kept getting at me. I have some similar thoughts in my impressions video (just posted).

Try giving it a week or so of listening to them. They are a lot like yesteryears HD700. If you put them on your head, immediately they sound off, but after listening to them for a while you start to get it. On the other hand, maybe your hearing is just not made for them. As for me, they are THE best sounding IEM for the price-point, and can compete with MUCH higher IEMs IMO. What are you pushing them with?

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,405 of 1,427
Try giving it a week or so of listening to them. They are a lot like yesteryears HD700. If you put them on your head, immediately they sound off, but after listening to them for a while you start to get it. On the other hand, maybe your hearing is just not made for them. As for me, they are THE best sounding IEM for the price-point, and can compete with MUCH higher IEMs IMO. What are you pushing them with?
I will certainly give it more time given the recommendation to do so now! Thank you for the insight into how they could come to sound at their best too, helpful!

IEM's can be like this for sure. Feelings about what is coming out changes. I tried the MEST, for example, and at first I thought they were too harsh in the treble for my ear - at that time. Then I listened to them more and, while the sound was the same coming out of them, my perception of their presentation had adjusted and accommodated their best potential for enjoyment I had been hearing about.

Perhaps, I always wonder, which set am I putting down too soon before I could enjoy those things I didn't feel for before.
Perhaps, the Tinhifi will turn around in rank for me :)

I'll continue to listen to them and share changes to my impression if they happen. These rankings are always done with such uncertainty. The brain's a funny thing....

Almost everything I've loved in the past has lost their peaks of appreciation when something else came along to shift my expectations on what music listening could be interpreted like. Anyway...rambling now...you'll have to excuse me!

Enjoy your P1. I hope I can start to hear it too. It sounds wonderful!

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #1,406 of 1,427
I will certainly give it more time given the recommendation to do so now! Thank you for the insight into how they could come to sound at their best too, helpful!

IEM's can be like this for sure. Feelings about what is coming out changes. I tried the MEST, for example, and at first I thought they were too harsh in the treble for my ear - at that time. Then I listened to them more and, while the sound was the same coming out of them, my perception of their presentation had adjusted and accommodated their best potential for enjoyment I had been hearing about.

Perhaps, I always wonder, which set am I putting down too soon before I could enjoy those things I didn't feel for before.
Perhaps, the Tinhifi will turn around in rank for me :)

I'll continue to listen to them and share changes to my impression if they happen. These rankings are always done with such uncertainty. The brain's a funny thing....

Almost everything I've loved in the past has lost their peaks of appreciation when something else came along to shift my expectations on what music listening could be interpreted like. Anyway...rambling now...you'll have to excuse me!

Enjoy your P1. I hope I can start to hear it too. It sounds wonderful!
It's good that you are willing to give them a fair shake. Otherwise you would never find the "perfect" IEM for you. I don't think there is such a thing as one that is tuned perfect for everyone, but as long as your brain is able to adapt to it, and THEN you like it, it is a keeper IMO. Some IEMs I have tried for 2 weeks exclusively, and they still never did anything for me.

Also remember that these are Planar, so they require more current (not power or watts) to push to their potential than the specs would indicate. I use a iBasso DX300 with mine (1.2Watts @32Ohms) and it still requires high gain and (for comfortable listening level) it is 45 of 100. You CAN use them right out of your phone (for instance), but they will NOT sound as good as they will with a better amp (again, current not volts or watts). Not even close IMO!

Cheers :beerchug: and congratulations on your new P1!

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,407 of 1,427
Still the fastest and tightest set I own 🫡 OG P1 😍 DX312 > MT-604 (6J1P Voskhod tubes) XINHS 4 Core 6N Single Crystal Copper and Final E’s..
Edited to add this album 👌

604.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #1,408 of 1,427
Even after all the hype with the Timeless (which I have), and the S12 (haven't heard the Hook-X or P1 Max yet), these still rank in the top 5 of my all-time best IEMs. Admittedly, there are some types of music, or specific songs that these are not great at, but when using them with the type of music they are good for, there really isn't much out there than can beat these even now IMHO.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,409 of 1,427
After more than a year of untouching the Tin hifi P1, I've swapped nozzle filters for more vented ones. Interesting thing: when opened I saw nothing between planar driver and plain metal filter. There is no dumping material in front of the driver which I appreciate.
The sound is a bit more open overal from bass to treble. Also a bit more bass.

I'm using very soft silicon tips - Moongrop Springs.

Mar 29, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,410 of 1,427
After more than a year of untouching the Tin hifi P1, I've swapped nozzle filters for more vented ones. Interesting thing: when opened I saw nothing between planar driver and plain metal filter. There is no dumping material in front of the driver which I appreciate.
The sound is a bit more open overal from bass to treble. Also a bit more bass.

I'm using very soft silicon tips - Moongrop Springs.
Yeah, I noticed that as well because one of mine actually fell out (the filter, not the speaker). I still use mine in my rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back