Tin Hifi P1 impressions
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #1,411 of 1,427
Tl;Dr: Does anyone have any good EQ curves for the P1? I have tried those from Oratory1990 and I like the USound one.

----------------------------

So I dug the P1s out of a drawer recently where they've been collecting dust. I put them on my desktop rig (Gustard X26Pro and Topping A90) and they sounded really bright. I recently got into EQ with another pair of headphones (Mitch Barnett's filter for the HD6xx) and dug around for some curves for the P1. I found Oratory1990's USound filter and harmon filter. I really like the USound filter! I'm running it through HQPlayer with PCM upsampling using the Sinc L or Sinc M filter (depending on day) and am loving the clarity I'm getting.

Does anyone have any other EQ filter recommendations for the P1?

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #1,412 of 1,427
Hey guys, what's considered a natural upgrade on the original TinHifi P1? I mostly love them: tonality, details, dynamics, it does most of the things right and according to my taste too. I'd love something a bit smaller (nozzle is just a hair on the thick side) and easier to drive (Lotoo PAW S1 drives it sufficiently, but with the juice of my desktop TMP Ant amp it's on an other level though). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,413 of 1,427
Hey guys, what's considered a natural upgrade on the original TinHifi P1? I mostly love them: tonality, details, dynamics, it does most of the things right and according to my taste too. I'd love something a bit smaller (nozzle is just a hair on the thick side) and easier to drive (Lotoo PAW S1 drives it sufficiently, but with the juice of my desktop TMP Ant amp it's on an other level though). Any suggestions would be welcome.
P1 is a great IEM. Special in it's own right.
Perhaps you can try out the Sennheiser series of iems. Fantastic 1 driver items. My ie900 is tiny enough and comfortable for all day wear for me. It sounds great with the dongles that I have. Sounds great with my dx300 as well.
It's compact enough to go anywhere. With me on holidays right now, of course 😊

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,414 of 1,427
I am not sure that there is anything like the OG P1. Most planars nowadays have a much more boosted bass, and sound completely different. This is one of the reasons I have kept mine (though I have also acquired new sets also).

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #1,415 of 1,427
If you have a friend or a friend of a friend who has a Cayin iHA-6, go visit him and bring the P1 with a 4-pole balanced XLR connector with you. If you don't know anyone who has it, buy it and set its amplification to current mode (specific for planars) at low gain and enjoy all the bass of the P1. It's an experience worth having, trust me. :wink:

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #1,416 of 1,427
p1.jpg

Believe me it's a terrifying pairing!!!

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,417 of 1,427
p1.jpg

Believe me it's a terrifying pairing!!!
With the proper amperage fed to these beasts they are definitely a force to be reckoned with (still) IMHO. For a long while when these first came out, a lot of companies tried to emulate these (and failed), and sometimes these don't get the credit that they deserve; which is to have started the whole planar IEM craze (not that they were the first out, but the first best/cheapest combination; the granddaddy of planar IEMs in my book).

I have been using them with my iBasso DX300 (which is capable of a whopping 2+ Amperes) since I got it back in 2020, and I loved these even more than I did when I first got them.

Just in the last few months, I have noticed that they have finally been discontinued (on Tinhifi site, and Linsoul), which was a major bummer for me. I was looking because I was thinking of buying a second set as a backup for if/when mine break down. Thankfully though, mine are still in great shape, and I certainly hope they stay that way.... There will never be the like of the OG P1 again.

Good find!

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,418 of 1,427
You absolutely don't have to worry about the duration, they are made like tanks, they hold a lot of current and are not multi-drivers, they are practically eternal. Another great combination is with the Questyle M15 (especially connected to the PC) because the feature that really transforms them is the current amplification (from which all planars benefit) which all Questyles have (including the M15) and which is also common to the Cayin iHA-6. The P1 doesn't need who knows what current but it wants the right type of current and the M15 provides it without any problem, now I'm listening to them with the M15 (high gain) and with the Windows volume set to 30/100 the more they break your eardrums. If this happens to you, try it and let me know. :wink:

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #1,419 of 1,427
You absolutely don't have to worry about the duration, they are made like tanks, they hold a lot of current and are not multi-drivers, they are practically eternal. Another great combination is with the Questyle M15 (especially connected to the PC) because the feature that really transforms them is the current amplification (from which all planars benefit) which all Questyles have (including the M15) and which is also common to the Cayin iHA-6. The P1 doesn't need who knows what current but it wants the right type of current and the M15 provides it without any problem, now I'm listening to them with the M15 (high gain) and with the Windows volume set to 30/100 the more they break your eardrums. If this happens to you, try it and let me know. :wink:
Yeah, I have never had issues driving them with the DX300. There is a ton of headroom on this set. Most people don't realize that planars rely on current to drive them to their full potential, so they complain about them sounding flabby, or thin, etc... This is normally and especially true of portable devices. Most times those aren't capable of providing the current needed to properly drive planars. The only reason that the DX300 can is because it is a dual battery system, where one battery is dedicated wholly to the amp section (and powering it).

Having a "current" mode is a brilliant and innovative implementation. I am glad that finally a company realizes that not only are most amps NOT set up for planars, but the don't even post specs that would show whether they can or not. In truth though, even the companies that make planar headphones/IEMs don't post the specs necessary to figure out if a given source can drive them properly or not.

My only fear about these (for the duration) is that the MMXC connectors on them are very cheap. The rest of the build is top notch though.

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #1,420 of 1,427
Yeah, I have never had issues driving them with the DX300. There is a ton of headroom on this set. Most people don't realize that planars rely on current to drive them to their full potential, so they complain about them sounding flabby, or thin, etc... This is normally and especially true of portable devices. Most times those aren't capable of providing the current needed to properly drive planars. The only reason that the DX300 can is because it is a dual battery system, where one battery is dedicated wholly to the amp section (and powering it).

Having a "current" mode is a brilliant and innovative implementation. I am glad that finally a company realizes that not only are most amps NOT set up for planars, but the don't even post specs that would show whether they can or not. In truth though, even the companies that make planar headphones/IEMs don't post the specs necessary to figure out if a given source can drive them properly or not.

My only fear about these (for the duration) is that the MMXC connectors on them are very cheap. The rest of the build is top notch though.
I also have an iBasso with double battery, the DX220 Max, but perhaps the M15 drives it even better due to the type of current amplification and above all you don't need to always use the DAP, however it is obvious that it is with the DX300 that with my Max there are no handling problems. As far as amplifiers and planars are concerned, you are absolutely right, in fact I read that some people have bought the Burson Conductors to drive the HE-6 and they can't even move it, while with the Cayin iHA-6 all those who have listened to it they say it sounds great. For the P1 MMXC, just buy a good balanced cable, mount it and never remove it (like I did) also because the same problem occurred to me on the IER-Z1R which have a particular and quite delicate MMXC.

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,422 of 1,427
For the P1 MMXC, just buy a good balanced cable, mount it and never remove it (like I did) also because the same problem occurred to me on the IER-Z1R which have a particular and quite delicate MMXC.
I have done just that. I am using the stock (pure silver) cable from the iBasso IT-07 with these, and while this cable is fantastic with these, the MMCX connector on one side has been a loose fit from the beginning. So I am not sure that I would say I am actively worried about it for now, I can see potential issues down the road with daily use.
OG P1 and Hybrid-Tube ⚡️ is a match made in heaven 😍...

P1 OG7777.jpg
Beautiful looking setup! Between you and @Polky74, I am certainly glad to see that I am not the only person that still loves and uses their P1 actively. :)

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #1,423 of 1,427
I am certainly glad to see that I am not the only person that still loves and uses their P1 actively

No you guys are not lol, OG P1 still offers that special sauce that none of the new wave of IEM planar’s can, yes you can argue that they're better balanced but they lack the speed, articulation and detail that P1 brings to the table + some tubey goodness = happy me 🎶😃
Oh and like @Polky74 I also have and love my Z1R’s 👍

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #1,424 of 1,427
Another great amplifier, but this time with dual R2R Himalaya integrated, is the splendid Hifiman EF400 and with the P1s it forms an incredible pair. Warm and deep sound from the Himalaya and plenty of power will make your P1 OG even more magical, then for 309 dollars (Hifiman website) it's practically a free gift.

p1ef400.jpg

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,425 of 1,427
Another great amplifier, but this time with dual R2R Himalaya integrated, is the splendid Hifiman EF400 and with the P1s it forms an incredible pair. Warm and deep sound from the Himalaya and plenty of power will make your P1 OG even more magical, then for 309 dollars (Hifiman website) it's practically a free gift.

p1ef400.jpg
At some point did they change the carry case that they sent the OG P1 in? That one looks like the one that the P1+ comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back