Time to replace my Zune with something significantly better...
May 24, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #46 of 53
I had a similar problem on another site. Annoying!

May 24, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #47 of 53
20190523_165149.jpg
This may work

May 25, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #48 of 53
You did it! :)

Looks great, congrats! How does it sound?

May 26, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #49 of 53
It;s a bit too early to tell because i'm restricted to the ear buds pictured but even with those it is miles better than the Zune. I'm just using the basic EQ until the KZ IEM's arrive and i can then play with the MSEB but judging by what it sounds like on those cheap ear buds it's seriously going to rock with the KZ's which should be here in about a week.

The SD card has just arrived so i can start loading some lossless files. Everything i have is in MP3 or M4A format and this player highlights the short comings of those formats so the mission after the IEMs arrive is to get all my favourite tracks loaded on to it in FLAC format and then give it a good listen

May 26, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #50 of 53
I was surprised that my MP3s sound fantastic on my FiiOs. I have no idea why. I expected they would sound like crap but they sound better than on other players. Anyway yeah high bitrate FLAC or especially DSD is great on a good DAP :)

May 26, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #51 of 53
I completely agree with your 2 cents. The HiBy ticks all my boxes and i was worried too about the historical lack of support but it seems they've turned it around a bit recently. I'm intending on buying one from a store here in the UK which has a good returns policy and they offer lifetime support on the device.

Out of all the devices I've looked at (Cowon, Fiio, Sony, iBasso, Astell & Kern, Cayin, Shanling, HiBy) the Shanling is a close second. It looks to me like it's easier to browse on the HiBy and i like the fact i can browse the internal storage and the SD Card completely separately. I intend to store favourite son the internal storage and everything else on the SD Card. I hate playlists.

Got the hiby r6 and the wifi is it's achilles heel. No idea if they fixed it in the later versions or the pro model but something to be aware of.

May 29, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #52 of 53
I was surprised that my MP3s sound fantastic on my FiiOs. I have no idea why. I expected they would sound like crap but they sound better than on other players. Anyway yeah high bitrate FLAC or especially DSD is great on a good DAP :)

I've had a chance to use the HiBy as i normally would now and i too am surprised at how good MP3's sound. Even using the cheap Sennheiser ear buds still this thing sounds incredible compared to the Zune. I'm really pleased with the sound already so i'm really looking forward to the IEM's arriving and it looks like the balanced cable i ordered will arrive first.

Usability of the device is fine too. For my general use i'm exclusively playing new albums from the folder view because that's the only area the HiBy displays and queues up tracks in album track order which isn't a problem. My new music is on the internal storage which i change every week and any favourite tracks get moved on to the SD Card. I use song artist to browse through my favourites which works great.

I've bought a bluetooth FM transmitter for the car which works great so i think i can retire the Zune now. It's been flawless and loyal servant for 13 years so i feel a bit sad for it and I'll have to give it a party or something for all it's given to me :)

May 29, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #53 of 53
Got the hiby r6 and the wifi is it's achilles heel. No idea if they fixed it in the later versions or the pro model but something to be aware of.

I haven't used any of the wireless features yet. I don't stream anything and got a player with the feature in case i ever do. Having said that i have updated the player over WIFI but i was 3 feet from my AP and it worked fine. It looks to have about 50% signal when i'm in my living room which is the opposite side of the house and one floor down which looks to be equivalent to my mobile phone but i haven't tried anything over WIFI there. I do have a dedicated Wireless AP though which kicks out a stronger signal than your average router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back