Time for an enhanced FAQ
May 4, 2006 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
Considering all the growth that Head-Fi has gone through in terms of members and exposure, I think the time has come for an update to the Forum FAQ. Many inexperienced to the audio world come to Head-Fi in search for help and answers.

It seems to me that there are always newbs out there asking similar questions. A Head-Fi resource guide and a collection of advice from our members who have experience to share would be invaluable to new community members.

A Head-Fi FAQ / Resource Guide might include the following:

Types of Headphones
Technical definitions
Audiophile Definitions
List of available products
List of discontinued products and pictures
Member advice on upgrading, tweaks, tubes, how to listen for differences in equipment.

All of this information in one place might provide for a cleaner forum, less threadcrapping, and an overall more informational experience.

May 4, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the only problem is that new people by their very nature almost NEVER read the stickied threads. I suggest coating such a thread in shiny things, if it were to be stickied. Or, more seriously, put up a "first time visiting" page that pops up before you make your first post.

May 4, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 6
Canman, I'll help however I can. See my custom title. It's like my headfi birthright
wink.gif

May 5, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
Canman, I'll help however I can. See my custom title. It's like my headfi birthright
wink.gif

I'd be happy to do a lot of the work. This project would need to be supported by Jude and the mods or else our work would be a waste of time. Voice your opinion and get this thread noticed.

May 5, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Canman- that's a good idea. I think you've covered the basics, but what about a DIY library, too?

Lots of people ask about the various DIY amps, but when you're new, it's not always easy to find what you need. If we had a dedicated DIY section, people could browse around and find what they need. Include some basics on soldering, using a multimeter, etc., too. It's the least expensive way of moving into high-end audio and an extremely rewarding hobby. A library with plenty of plans, tips, advice, etc. would get more people into it.

One benefit of this would be that the DIY section would probably become a lot more lively. It might even have to be split into different forums. I think that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back