Time for a rant...
Jun 9, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang
Exactly. I am shocked and dismayed. What I want to know is...why does the bass of the earbuds have more impact than the ultrasones? I've read that the ultrasone trackmasters are supposed to produce decent bass. If this is what decent bass sounds like in a headphone, I think I'm in the wrong market. I might just buy a pair of paradigm subs and lay between them.

I think you will get a flood of DT-770 reccomendations.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

On some songs the bass of the ultrasones is ok. But, should it be so tight, that is nearly inaudible? Is this better sound?

Dude, if you don't like it, it's not better. Don't let other people who bash a pair of headphones because the bass is flabby sway you. If you enjoy it, then stick with it.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 39
Really, even if your music was really poorly encoded, it still wouldn't be a decent excuse for the lack of difference from two headphones that, from a price and size standpoint, should be substantially different in terms of sound signature. Maybe if headphones were scalable entirely on level of detail would that explanation hold water, but anyone who's had any experience with speakers or headphones would know that's clearly not the case. As you go higher up the chain, the source makes a much bigger difference, but any half decent headphones should improve on the sharp-U frequency curves of most stock earbuds, even if you were listening to FM radio.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 39
FYI I have a pair of the Prolines, the 2500 and IMO they are among the best headphones I have ever heard in terms of natural sound and bass extension and quality, not sure how those 650 are, but if they are anything similar to the Prolines, something is at fault there in that system....are you sure the ear-buds are the stock ones, maybe you got by mistake a pair of Etys, or Shures...
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW I consider the Prolines with a better bass extension and quality than the DT770 by a good margin....I even ruled out the DT770 as bassy headphones after those....OTOH the last time I heard them in the NY national meet, I even found them bright, not sure if this was the new model, or if it was becasue of the lack of burn in...but they sounded pretty similar to the DT880 to me, of course in a very noisy enviroment, not ideal conditions for a comparison and blah blah blah...
confused.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Dude, if you don't like it, it's not better. Don't let other people who bash a pair of headphones because the bass is flabby sway you. If you enjoy it, then stick with it.

I'm not being swayed here. He was bashing my stock Creative earbuds, although rather dear to my heart, they are incapable of causing me shame.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
Another thing you might want to do is listen to the new gear for a few days, dont try and criticaly compare, just listen. Then after a few days listen to the old stuff. I had to use this aproach to convince my girlfriend that there was a diff in stock ear buds to Westone UM1s.
rolleyes.gif

That is true. Perhaps I'm rushing things. I've only had the cans for a week. Patience...

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

That is true. Perhaps I'm rushing things. I've only had the cans for a week. Patience...

Iv been in your situation, mostly when I was real big into car audio, many times. I upgraded to some $300 comps in my car and was less than blown away, however after a few weeks I rode with my mom....
eek.gif
.... to say the least the diff was amazing. Sometimes its a gradual thing.

But then again, it could be that you have the mother of all stock ear buds.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

How did you compare the two? If I were you, I would turn back around. I used to think the MDR-v150s sounded great. Then I was exposed to hi-fi, and I could never lsiten to them again. Best way to compare headphones, listen to your upgraded pair for a long period of time, and then listen to your old pair again. You'll pick out the difference real easy and train your ears to pick up difference in sound without having to do this.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

On some songs the bass of the ultrasones is ok. But, should it be so tight, that is nearly inaudible? Is this better sound?

Only you can decide, when I got my SR325i initally I thought it lacked bass, it was because my previous phones had a more prominent bass.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I bought a pair of HD280 a long time ago, and they almost turned me off of headphones. I tried something else (a Beyer) about a year later, and I was hooked. I think headphones are the largest change in a system (at least quality consumer system) you can make in terms of signature.

Blu tak mod...
basshead.gif
280smile.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
How did you compare the two? If I were you, I would turn back around. I used to think the MDR-v150s sounded great. Then I was exposed to hi-fi, and I could never lsiten to them again. Best way to compare headphones, listen to your upgraded pair for a long period of time, and then listen to your old pair again. You'll pick out the difference real easy and train your ears to pick up difference in sound without having to do this.

Had the ear buds plugged into my Dell Laptop playing the exact same song as my zmp with amp and ultrasones.

Also tried zmp with ear buds vs laptop/w and w/o amp + ultrasones.

Round 1

Earbuds 1 Ultrasones 0

Round 2

Later tonight

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Could be...or it could be my virgin ears.

Hearing is so subjective that its just up to you for what sounds good to YOUR ears. If the stock buds are good, then by all meanst consider your self lucky and use the money Head-fi would have otherwise drained for something else.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Alright guys and gals...I understand this may not be the right place for voicing such opinions but so be it...

Mistake#1

Purchased a Creative Zen Microphoto.

Mistake#2

Purchased Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster Headphones.

Mistake #3

Purchased PA2V2 amp.

The Dilemma/Reality of the situation
:

Over a series of days I've been testing this rig out.

My Observations: the stock Creative earbuds that came with the ZMP sounds similar, if not better than the Ultrasones (amped and unamped). I've tried various combinations, and the results remain consistent.

My Conclusion: $300 upgrade to amp and headphones not really worth it. Yes, I have burned the headphones in (for only 20 hours or so). But, is 50 or 100 more hours of burn in really going to radically change the results? i think not. I also understand that my DAP and amp are likely not top tier audiophile products, but really, shouldn't there be a massive difference between stock earbuds and quality amped headphones?

Oh, well. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.
/end rant (my apologies)

Nothing wrong with Gary's PA2V2! I use mine everyday and love it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Nothing wrong with Gary's PA2V2! I use mine everyday and love it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree. However, considering my opinion of the ultrasones, the pa2v2 was a useless addition. Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back