Time for a rant...
Jun 9, 2006 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

falang

100+ Head-Fier
Alright guys and gals...I understand this may not be the right place for voicing such opinions but so be it...

Mistake#1

Purchased a Creative Zen Microphoto.

Mistake#2

Purchased Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster Headphones.

Mistake #3

Purchased PA2V2 amp.

The Dilemma/Reality of the situation
:

Over a series of days I've been testing this rig out.

My Observations: the stock Creative earbuds that came with the ZMP sounds similar, if not better than the Ultrasones (amped and unamped). I've tried various combinations, and the results remain consistent.

My Conclusion: $300 upgrade to amp and headphones not really worth it. Yes, I have burned the headphones in (for only 20 hours or so). But, is 50 or 100 more hours of burn in really going to radically change the results? i think not. I also understand that my DAP and amp are likely not top tier audiophile products, but really, shouldn't there be a massive difference between stock earbuds and quality amped headphones?

Oh, well. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.
/end rant (my apologies)

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 39
Wow... sorry to hear it.

The only question I have is about the bit-rate of your music - is it above 192? I could be possibly there is nothing additional to hear so the 650s sound like the stock buds.

In any case, sorry to hear it.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 39
spraggih, I love that funny thread in your sig
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 39
Honestly, I can hear the difference between headphones I do and don't like at even rather low bitrate (~96kbps...~64 if you're using some sort of SBR). I know people suggest this routinely as some sort of defeater for claims of inadequacy on the part of a piece of equipment, but it'd be one of the things I'd be least concerned with at this sort of stage in the game. The psy model on lossy encoding is still going to preserve the most audibly significant bands and detail until you start hitting serious downsampling or other 'tricks' like intensity stereo.

What could be the problem is that on the portions of the signal that are most significant to him, the balance, resolution, or just general character of the Ultrasones isn't significantly more pleasing. They probably defeat the stock earbuds on a technical level, but maybe they don't when you factor in these other things.

That said, it could also just be the PA2v2 is inadequate in terms of eliciting the sort of reproduction out of these headphones that is simultaneously pleasing as well as being so to a greater degree than the earbuds. I haven't encountered this with the various amps I've built, but maybe it is with this amp.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 39
Ultrasones seem to be a love them or hate them kind of thing. The rest of your gear should be good... I'd say swap out the headphones.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 39
Honestly, I can hear the difference between headphones I do and don't like at even rather low bitrate (~96kbps...~64 if you're using some sort of SBR). I know people suggest this routinely as some sort of defeater for claims of inadequacy on the part of a piece of equipment, but it'd be one of the things I'd be least concerned with at this sort of stage in the game (when we're not trying to distinguish between subtle differences). The psy model on lossy encoding is still going to preserve the most audibly significant bands and detail until you start hitting serious downsampling or other 'tricks' like intensity stereo. That is, the net result is that if the headphone's sonic signature is really not to your liking on a lossy encoding, it's at least plausible (and afaik, probable) that they won't be on a lossless encoding, either. If it's just subtly off, though, then it may perhaps make a difference.

What could be the problem is that on the portions of the signal that are most significant to him, the balance, resolution, or just general character of the Ultrasones isn't significantly more pleasing. They probably defeat the stock earbuds on a technical level, but maybe they don't when you factor in these other things.

That said, it could also just be the PA2v2 is inadequate in terms of eliciting the sort of reproduction out of these headphones that is simultaneously pleasing as well as being so to a greater degree than the earbuds. I haven't encountered this with the various amps I've built, but maybe it is with this amp.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 39
I also made mistake #3, it would have been cheaper to go straight for the HeadFive instead of getting a PA2V2 and then a headfive. But as I sit here waiting for the HeadFive to get here, tubes are looking more and more interesting
frown.gif
But I have made a promise to myself that I will not get any other amp until the headfive gets here.

This whole "headphone hobby" is not a hobby at all! It is really a disease that is quickly becoming a pandemic!
mad.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 39
I bought a pair of HD280 a long time ago, and they almost turned me off of headphones. I tried something else (a Beyer) about a year later, and I was hooked. I think headphones are the largest change in a system (at least quality consumer system) you can make in terms of signature.

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 39
I can see not liking the Ultrasones but to say the stock buds might sound better? Something has to be wrong, that can't be. Maybe they're broken?
confused.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 39
I feel your pain, my first set of 'real' headphones were Sennheiser HD590s. They sucked so bad that I almost gave up on headphones all together. Then I tried a pair of Sennheiser HD595s - surely I thought either I (or the people who were recommending them) had surely lost my mind (or perhaps they lost their minds).

I figured I would try one last time with a pair of Grados, and the rest is history (see sig). So I am glad I didn't give up. Finding the headphone sound signature that suits you best can be a long, difficult and potentially expensive journey.

Hang in there, sell the Ultrasones and try a different brand. Or if the place you bought them from will allow you to return them, then do that. Sorry I don't know a lot about the Ultrasone headphones, but I do know they don't get a lot of love around here.

Just keep poking around here at Head-Fi, and read reviews and comments others have made about the various models of headphones that are out there. This will help you greatly in trying to determine the sound signature that is right for you.

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 39
Thanks guys.

The majority of my music is encoded at 192kbs or higher, so I ruled that out. I think you may be right in terms of me not liking the Ultrasone sound (they're starting to hurt my ears). However, surely there should be a measurable difference in sound quality between the ultrasones and the stock earbuds.

I think my expectations were too high which were based upon the high price of the ultrasone headphones.

Now I'm considering selling the ultrasones and picking a pair of AKG K81DJs (cheaper and more suitable to my portable needs). I'll have to do a comparison, but honestly, all hope is fading at this point.

I mostly listen to indie rock (modest mouse, broken social scene, wilco, iron & wine, sigur ros, pavement, etc.). Do you think the K81DJs would match with this music?

Jun 9, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
I can see not liking the Ultrasones but to say the stock buds might sound better? Something has to be wrong, that can't be. Maybe they're broken?
confused.gif

Exactly. I am shocked and dismayed. What I want to know is...why does the bass of the earbuds have more impact than the ultrasones? I've read that the ultrasone trackmasters are supposed to produce decent bass. If this is what decent bass sounds like in a headphone, I think I'm in the wrong market. I might just buy a pair of paradigm subs and lay between them.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
greater bass impact does not translate into better sound. Bass lines are supposed to be firm, tight, low and detailed. Bass impact with excess flab is no good.

On some songs the bass of the ultrasones is ok. But, should it be so tight, that is nearly inaudible? Is this better sound?

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 39
Another thing you might want to do is listen to the new gear for a few days, dont try and criticaly compare, just listen. Then after a few days listen to the old stuff. I had to use this aproach to convince my girlfriend that there was a diff in stock ear buds to Westone UM1s.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back