[TIFU] I Killed my Gryphon!
Jul 6, 2023 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

emba4

100+ Head-Fier
the latest tale in my usual run of HiFi bad luck, a few weeks ago my LCD-2 closed backs died, i thought the membrane had popped, on further inspection what happened was evidently they got a knock somewhere that had dislodged one of the magnets at the front which had then snapped to the one below it. thinking id be a clever bugger i attempted to use my titanium tweezers to just push it back, of course rather than go back it instantly snapped to the one above shredding the membrane.

thankfully id found a brand new matched pair of LCD-X drivers (brand new in a sealed pack together marked "LCD-X and XC driver kit") and as i have now 2x spare sets of LCDs i figured id make a Dr Frankenstein's LCD with X drivers, Bamboo rings and LCD-2 pads&backplates and use the headband from the closed backs, i havent decided if illuse the leather pads of the bamboo or the softer PU ones from the closed backs) eventually, after a short debacle of fedex losing my package for a bit, they finally arrived, i fitted them and i now have decent working cans again! (i still prefer the sound of the 2s mind)

an hour or so into listening i roll my chair back and a cable from a charging phone has wrapped round the arm without me noticing, it pulls a phone off the desk which happens to land on the headphone cable pulling my gryphon off the table, where it landed face first on a hard wood floor, it carried on playing fine though so i wasnt assuming anything was wrong, till i picked it up and noticed there was no display, i reboot it etc but no luck so i figure its time to get the screwdrivers and see what is wrong (im hoping its just something come unplugged)

i get in and everything looks fine, its not until i life the battery that the screen board lifts up too, looking underneath i can see the header its connected to has ripped clean off the board, le sigh. my luck is not great at the best of times really (broken in the last 2 years: ifi xcan, LCD-2 Bamboo, DCA Aeon Flow, Loxjie P20, 2x 7hz timeless (one lost, one washed), LCD-2 Closed back and an ifi gryphon) it still plays and if i work just going by the lights it is usable. the repair however is going to be an absolute pain in the arse though as it seems to have torn the pads off so ive got some board repair to do rather than just a simple solder job (its a good job i can fix this sort of stuff)

(obviously i know a lot of this stuff is my own damn fault but its annoying none the less)

Jul 6, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 8
the latest tale in my usual run of HiFi bad luck, a few weeks ago my LCD-2 closed backs died, i thought the membrane had popped, on further inspection what happened was evidently they got a knock somewhere that had dislodged one of the magnets at the front which had then snapped to the one below it. thinking id be a clever bugger i attempted to use my titanium tweezers to just push it back, of course rather than go back it instantly snapped to the one above shredding the membrane.

thankfully id found a brand new matched pair of LCD-X drivers (brand new in a sealed pack together marked "LCD-X and XC driver kit") and as i have now 2x spare sets of LCDs i figured id make a Dr Frankenstein's LCD with X drivers, Bamboo rings and LCD-2 pads&backplates and use the headband from the closed backs, i havent decided if illuse the leather pads of the bamboo or the softer PU ones from the closed backs) eventually, after a short debacle of fedex losing my package for a bit, they finally arrived, i fitted them and i now have decent working cans again! (i still prefer the sound of the 2s mind)

an hour or so into listening i roll my chair back and a cable from a charging phone has wrapped round the arm without me noticing, it pulls a phone off the desk which happens to land on the headphone cable pulling my gryphon off the table, where it landed face first on a hard wood floor, it carried on playing fine though so i wasnt assuming anything was wrong, till i picked it up and noticed there was no display, i reboot it etc but no luck so i figure its time to get the screwdrivers and see what is wrong (im hoping its just something come unplugged)

i get in and everything looks fine, its not until i life the battery that the screen board lifts up too, looking underneath i can see the header its connected to has ripped clean off the board, le sigh. my luck is not great at the best of times really (broken in the last 2 years: ifi xcan, LCD-2 Bamboo, DCA Aeon Flow, Loxjie P20, 2x 7hz timeless (one lost, one washed), LCD-2 Closed back and an ifi gryphon) it still plays and if i work just going by the lights it is usable. the repair however is going to be an absolute pain in the arse though as it seems to have torn the pads off so ive got some board repair to do rather than just a simple solder job (its a good job i can fix this sort of stuff)

(obviously i know a lot of this stuff is my own damn fault but its annoying none the less)
Do you want mine, make me an offer and if we can agree on price its yours. :)

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Thankfully I'm a board level repair technician who usually works on iPhones so I should be able to fix it all going to plan. If not though I'd be very tempted. Especially as I'm fighting to love the LCD-x sound, I just preferred my 2s. I see a pair of meze Lirics in my near future

Jul 6, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 8
OK no problem and good luck, if you did want it I would probably let it go for cheap as it has my battery mods fitted and I couldn't sell it for much. The board is unmodified though just the battery has some "alterations".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back