Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,456 of 1,853
buddy were not even talking about the zen dac so ur comment is useless, now that ifi replied bck and confirmed that theve removed mqa and have no intention of paying for a mqa licence,theve basically scammed there customers,there saying mqa wasn’t supposed to be enabled,but this device was released way bck in June and we’re now in December and this is them jst realising that mqa was mistakenly enabled on there device?even though the reviewers who were sent the zen stream to review mentioned in there review that mqa decoding was working and there is loads of discussion about mqa decoding on this device on there forums going bck months but theve suddenly jst realised ?this whole thing stinks,thousands of people bought this device for jst this feature and can’t return it,ifi you should be ashamed,if my information isn't correct then plz correct me if
Calm down.....BUDDY

Send it back then?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,457 of 1,853
I return both of my zen dacs v2 for tha reason.
I was simply replying to this, as the thread is regarding Tidal Not Zen Stream

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,458 of 1,853
I was simply replying to this, as the thread is regarding Tidal Not Zen Stream
if I came across rude then I apologise buddy,jst extremely pissed at ifi and there handling of this device,yes I am still able to return it, jst my time and postage charge that's been wasted but thousands of people can't because theve had this device since June and specifically bought this device for specifically this feature ,if I was of those people I would be more than pissed I'd be livid

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,459 of 1,853
MQA wasn't supposed to be available on ZEN Stream in the first place, so there are no plans for that.

Are you going to continue to claim "MQA-fully compatible" on your product page? Any player that plays Tidal and claims that should be able to do the core unfold or it's simply wrong and misleading.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,460 of 1,853
Are you going to continue to claim "MQA-fully compatible" on your product page? Any player that plays Tidal and claims that should be able to do the core unfold or it's simply wrong and misleading.
exactly ive also emailed them telling them they should now remove the 100% mqa compatible as it's clearly false and definitely misleading as some other potential customer will make the same mistake of purchasing this streamer,if they had realised this mqa mistake shortly after the launch way bck in may/June then I wouldn't have had a problem as mistakes happen all the time on newly released products,but they didnt,ifi continued to send the device to reviewers up until the last few weeks where they confirmed mqa decoding and I'm sure ifi read what there reviewers say about there products,so theve been aware of the mqa decoding for a long tìme and there own forums is full of discussions of this feature so to suddenly come out in December and say it's a mistake is ridiculous to say the least

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,461 of 1,853
I have been getting MQA from both my iPhone and iPad via lightning to USB with no issues. I have used the CCK as well as lightning to USB OTG cables.
Noted- I have read many iPhone users are getting MQA streamed to rendering or decoding DACS. I have a 12 Pro Max but it’s a T-mobile phone and I have suspicion the carrier is part of the problem. I gave up on this and just use my IFi devices with other sources now for streaming TIDAL. I put in a trouble ticket with IFi re my inability to stream MQA from the iPhone but they insist ‘it’s not our device that’s the problem’. Not worth an argument with them IMO as the devices work fine for my present use- case; however I have decided not to update IFi firmware, as TIDAL streams MQA to both Zen Dac V2 and IFi micro iDSD signature a) directly from Windows and MacOs b) via Roon and C) via UAPP on my Hiby R8.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #1,462 of 1,853
I agree, non of my ifi products are working rigt now with tidal. Which is the main reason I bought them.
Read my post,it explains the problem is with the old kernel that ifi are using..
Great hardware but let down with terrible software and tech support,I really luved my zen stream but yes no company should be allowed to remove functionality after customers have purchased something from them,the way ifi has handled the whole launch and promotions of the stream is wrong and misleading,from saying on there website that its 100% mqa compatible to roon ready which gives a impression it roon certifyed when it still isn't months now after the launch,aswell as the promised chromecast support,the ipower psu fiasco where they silently withdrew them and started shipping cheap psu instead and then they came out and said because people complained that it was for the first 1000 customers only,wouldn't have been a problem if they stated this before but they didnt,I contacted them and they said they would send a ipower to me but one of there tech support asked me not tell anyone on here cause they only give out ipowers if someone contacts them like I did and ask for one that is shady if you ask me,now they remove a specific functionality that people bought the device for and now can't return it for a refund,theve also hindered the device from the start with using a very old kernel from volumio,this kernel has terrible tidal intergration and thats why volumio have ditched it and are totaly rewritten there software as we speak because it has so many problem it can't be fixed and this why alot of customers have been have trouble in the last few months,I honestly think they thought they could do this silently like they did with the ipowers and people wouldn't be upset,im lucky than most though as I can still return mine for a return but thousands of people can't and are now stuck at the mercy of ifi unless they sell it on but would lose money doing so as ifi has removed a big functionality,I mean you couldn't make this up and theve now really damaged there reputation over this device

Last edited: 9 minutes ago

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Prev

Remove formattingBoldItalicFont sizeText colorMore options…
ListAlignment
  • Align left
  • Align center
  • Align right
  • Justify text
Paragraph format
Insert linkInsert imageSmiliesMediaQuoteInsert tableMore options…
UndoRedoToggle BB codeDrafts
Preview

Font familyStrike-throughUnderlineInline codeInline spoiler
Insert horizontal lineSpoilerCode

Write your reply...
Attach

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,463 of 1,853
if I came across rude then I apologise buddy,jst extremely pissed at ifi and there handling of this device,yes I am still able to return it, jst my time and postage charge that's been wasted but thousands of people can't because theve had this device since June and specifically bought this device for specifically this feature ,if I was of those people I would be more than pissed I'd be livid
I see your point, hopefully if anyone has purchased through credit card, they can claim the money back.
I've done this on a couple of occasions

Good luck, it just goes to show the ridiculous nature of MQA in the first place.

Dec 3, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,464 of 1,853
it just goes to show the ridiculous nature of MQA in the first place.

It's just another format, that can be used on devices based on a license. They should've just not mistakenly included MQA support on this device if they didn't actually have the license to do so.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #1,465 of 1,853
But is it not the only format that's a charge is incurred for license?

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #1,466 of 1,853
But is it not the only format that's a charge is incurred for license?

Maybe, but still, let's say I create a format, and I require payment from manufacturers if they want to use it. It's their choice if they want to pay me to use it or not.

My point is that I don't see MQA as being the "culprit" in this situation. It's just unfortunate that MQA support was mistakenly included for the device in question.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #1,467 of 1,853
personally ive not got a problem with mistakes being made on new products it happens all the time,but I have a problem with this cause this device was released way bck in june and they didn't correct the mqa bug until December,no way do I belive that ifi weren't aware of this until now,there is discussions on there forum about mqa decoding on this device going bck to June,so they knew but continued to sell this product and still claiming on there website right now that it's 100% mqa compatible but like I said the whole thing stinks and there is more to this that ifi is not letting on but one thing is sure il never touch any of there products again and theve seriously damaged there reputation over there handling of this device

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,468 of 1,853
personally ive not got a problem with mistakes being made on new products it happens all the time,but I have a problem with this cause this device was released way bck in june and they didn't correct the mqa bug until December,no way do I belive that ifi weren't aware of this until now,there is discussions on there forum about mqa decoding on this device going bck to June,so they knew but continued to sell this product and still claiming on there website right now that it's 100% mqa compatible but like I said the whole thing stinks and there is more to this that ifi is not letting on but one thing is sure il never touch any of there products again and theve seriously damaged there reputation over there handling of this device
Is there no way of rolling back the firmware?

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,470 of 1,853
I believe you can roll bck the firmware but then what do you do never update it again when theve still to release fw updates for chromecast support and roon certify
That's true although isn't Chromecast a bit pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back