Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Dec 3, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #1,473 of 1,853
Not pointless if you use Chromecast.
I just meant it's limited on Hi-Res Support and no Gapless playback

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,475 of 1,853
We'll have that removed shortly just to not cause any further confusion. Thanks for noting!

Maybe just say that it supports MQA pass-through only.

Dec 4, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,477 of 1,853
there probaly holding off to change there website if there trying to get a mqa licence cause Sebastian said there in talks with meridian

Indeed, we're looking into what can be done with that matter. Those things don't happen overnight, but we should have some info shortly.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 4, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,478 of 1,853
Apologies I'm being lazy here - trying to catch up. Golden Ears, is he right, or is MQA the sunny uplands? I know the answers are in the last 98 pages, but......

Dec 4, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,479 of 1,853
Apologies I'm being lazy here - trying to catch up. Golden Ears, is he right, or is MQA the sunny uplands? I know the answers are in the last 98 pages, but......
yes they disabled mqa decoding but mqa passthrough to a mqa dac still works from what I'm told,this is mostly affecting people with non mqa dacs who were using the zen stream to do the first unfold of mqa

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #1,480 of 1,853
Indeed, we're looking into what can be done with that matter. Those things don't happen overnight, but we should have some info shortly.
thought that might be the case but I really hope you get a licence and get the other issues fixed ASAP with regards to chromecast and roon certification and your customers have been waiting for these since June now and we're not happy at all with ifi

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,481 of 1,853
yes they disabled mqa decoding but mqa passthrough to a mqa dac still works from what I'm told,this is mostly affecting people with non mqa dacs who were using the zen stream to do the first unfold of mqa
who disabled mqa decoding?

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #1,482 of 1,853
I presume you meant @GoldenOne (not @Golden Ears, who has never posted in this thread). Many (although not all) agree with his conclusions.
who disabled mqa decoding?
That discussion is about iFi disabling MQA decoding in the latest firmware update to their ZEN Stream product. The topic is completely unrelated to your question about @GoldenOne. The reply given was a misunderstanding about your question.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,483 of 1,853
We'll have that removed shortly just to not cause any further confusion. Thanks for noting!
To confirm my understanding of this thread:

A) ifi is taking away MQA capabilities from the Zen Stream and it won't return it in the next or other future firmware updates
B) Chromecast will never be supported despite promises at launch and on the box, website, etc.

If the above are true, I hate to say it but what kind of company is ifi to screw over your customers like this?

Up until this last update I was able to enjoy MQA decoding with my Zen DAC using tidal connect and was looking forward to Chromecast. These are 2 important use cases to me that motivated my purchase of the Zen streamer.

Lacking this, I am 100% motivated to return this to ifi for a full refund and would actually never buy another ifi product. Great way to cause mistrust in a brand.

Please confirm my understanding so I can act accordingly.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,484 of 1,853
To confirm my understanding of this thread:

A) ifi is taking away MQA capabilities from the Zen Stream and it won't return it in the next or other future firmware updates
B) Chromecast will never be supported despite promises at launch and on the box, website, etc.

If the above are true, I hate to say it but What kind of company is ifi to screw over your customers like this?

Up until this last update I was able to enjoy MQA decoding with my Zen DAC using tidal connect and was looking forward to Chromecast. These are 2 important use cases to me that motivated my purchase of the Zen streamer.

Lacking this, I am 100% motivated to return this to ifi for a full refund and would actually never buy another ifi product. Great way to cause mistrust in a brand.

Please confirm my understanding so I can act accordingly.
ifi responded in another thread saying there now in talks with meridian to buy a mqa licence for the zen stream but How long this will take nobody knows yet,I asked them about the situation with chromecast update after I became còncerned after they removed all mention of chromecast coming soon from there website but they did respond saying chromecast support is still on the way,also a temporary fix for you would be to reset ur zen to the original fw and mqa decoding will work again

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #1,485 of 1,853
ifi responded in another thread saying there now in talks with meridian to buy a mqa licence for the zen stream but How long this will take nobody knows yet,I asked them about the situation with chromecast update after I became còncerned after they removed all mention of chromecast coming soon from there website but they did respond saying chromecast support is still on the way,also a temporary fix for you would be to reset ur zen to the original fw and mqa decoding will work again

Thanks, I appreciate the updates - they are pretty much what I understood.

I would love to have a definitive response from ifi on this also.

FWIW I did go back to original firmware to make sure I wasn't dreaming that I had MQA decoding capability in my set up but I don't see that as a long term approach.

I can live with the current firmware knowing/hoping this and Chromecast will be fixed in the next few weeks.

Fingers crossed 🤞.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back