Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Dec 7, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #1,501 of 1,853
For ZEN DAC V2 to decode MQA it hs to receive it first, so a transport for it also has to be capable of sending MQA.
I also have IFi micro iDSD Signature and it is unfolding as it should be from all sources but my T-Mobile iPhone 12 Max Pro (it is an MQA renderer) - but that device doesn’t send MQA for whatever reason, I’ve never been able to ascertain.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,502 of 1,853
I have nothing against MQA--if it sounds good I like it and it does and I do. But I just got the xDSD Gryphon so I re-subscribed to Tidal and I was disappointed to find that hi-res albums that aren't available in MQA are only available in 44/16 on Tidal. That seems crappy to me. On Qobuz these same albums are available in 96/24 or even higher sometimes. Tidal seems to be "MQA or nothing" and that's unfortunate. Not that 44/16 is "nothing" and plenty of albums are not available in anything higher anyway. But I feel like if something is available in hi-res on Qobuz it should be on Tidal as well. I don't see the excuse for not offering non-MQA 96/24 playback if for some reason MQA isn't available on these albums.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,503 of 1,853
I have nothing against MQA--if it sounds good I like it and it does and I do. But I just got the xDSD Gryphon so I re-subscribed to Tidal and I was disappointed to find that hi-res albums that aren't available in MQA are only available in 44/16 on Tidal. That seems crappy to me. On Qobuz these same albums are available in 96/24 or even higher sometimes. Tidal seems to be "MQA or nothing" and that's unfortunate. Not that 44/16 is "nothing" and plenty of albums are not available in anything higher anyway. But I feel like if something is available in hi-res on Qobuz it should be on Tidal as well. I don't see the excuse for not offering non-MQA 96/24 playback.

Well, this is mostly about how Tidal chose to function. It's not like before MQA they were offering hi-res albums, and since MQA was created they stopped doing that.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,504 of 1,853
Yeah, I guess it had been a while since I was subscribed to Tidal and I didn't remember there were never any non-MQA hi-res offerings. I'm just not sure whether I want Qobuz instead. It's half the price and offers more hi-res albums, but I've noticed Tidal has some albums Qobuz doesn't when it comes to popular music (both seem to be about equal for classical, which is much of what I listen to). Also part of why I bought the xDSD Gryphon is because it's an MQA decoder. But for now I'm just going to listen and see what I think. :)

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #1,505 of 1,853
Also part of why I bought the xDSD Gryphon is because it's an MQA decoder. But for now I'm just going to listen and see what I think. :)

Thanks for giving xDSD Gryphon a chance. Please feel free to let us know how you like it once you're used to it a bit :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 26, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,506 of 1,853
I use my Zen Dac V2 with a Raspberry pi supplying the Data

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,508 of 1,853
Dec 28, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,509 of 1,853
I realize the recent discussion was about the iFi, but I thought it relevant to elaborate on Raspberry Pi in the context of this thread.

Raspberry Pi is an excellent music source for less than $100. It's basically what is inside many of the high priced streamers from various brands.

I use an RPi 4B 4GB with Moode (https://moodeaudio.org/) to feed a Gustard A18 DAC (->USB) which in turn feeds a Bryston power amp (->XLR). 2GB is actually plenty large for music streaming, saves a few bucks, and runs a little cooler.

I started out with Volumio, and also tested RuneAudio along the way. Volumio is amazingly easy, but a tad limited unless you buy their commercial version. It also ran quite hot for me, including when idle. Moode is incredibly feature rich, free and open source. I would recommend a voluntary donation for those who end up using it. But of course that's just my opinion.

I put most of our music library on the SD card. I had it on a USB flash drive at first, which is simpler when you update, but my wife said SQ was better when playing from the SD card. In theory it shouldn't shouldn't make a difference, particularly not on the newer RPi 4 models which have a redesigned USB bus. But I trust her ears. My own hearing has deteriorated due to a nerve disease.

We also use the RPi for internet radio. I gathered a collection of classical stations, and my life listens to radio from our home country of Denmark.

But we use it as destination for streaming Tidal more than anything else, with mConnect on our phones pulling the Tidal stream and casting to Moode through uPnP. It works perfectly: Moode has no active MQA support (and profess they never will) but supports MQA passthrough to the DAC. Works with all MQA tracks I have tested, including the 384 kHz albums from 2L as well as the infamous 16/44kHz albums from Warner, and everything in between.

If you're willing to pay, Volumio has Tidal streaming in their paid tier, and lets you can stream directly on the RPi. I don't know if they support MQA, I was too cheap to try their paid tier. But everything Volumio is super easy, and what I'd recommend to get started with RPi (https://volumio.com).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,510 of 1,853
Which it does, when you used it in conjunction with the Tidal App, with passthrough or let the tidal app do the first unfold. But for me, trying both ways, it never got past 44100 or 48000, when I just try the same setup with another dac. let's say Focal Arche, with the same song and album, Focal arche will show 96000.
You positive the Focal isn't upsampling things to 96K? Many, MANY of the MQA files are 44.1 or 48K, because that's what they were recorded at and certified at. Was the LED on the Zen DAC showing up yellow or green/blue?

Dec 28, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #1,511 of 1,853
You positive the Focal isn't upsampling things to 96K? Many, MANY of the MQA files are 44.1 or 48K, because that's what they were recorded at and certified at. Was the LED on the Zen DAC showing up yellow or green/blue?
And by that I mean, only about 6% of the MQA library isn't either 44.1 or 48K

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #1,512 of 1,853
If you're willing to pay, Volumio has Tidal streaming in their paid tier, and lets you can stream directly on the RPi. I don't know if they support MQA, I was too cheap to try their paid tier. But everything Volumio is super easy, and what I'd recommend to get started with RPi (https://volumio.com).
Another feature of Volumio (paid tier) is that it supports Tidal Connect, which allows you to use the regular Tidal app (desktop or mobile) for playing on the RPi (it's like Spotify Connect if you are familiar with it). It gives you the full interface of the Tidal app rather than the basic functionality using UPnP or Volumio's own Tidal interface.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #1,513 of 1,853
Volumios latest Manifest UI is very nice.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #1,514 of 1,853
Question: I have TIDAL high res, LG v40, do single unpack, USB to no MQA DAC. On paper what is the most depth I can get?

It seems that the answer is more than what I can get using an iFi streamer with the connection to TIDAL connect in place of the v40.

Anyone use both?

Thanks

EDIT ADD: Given the lack of response it looks like the iFI Zen Streamer does not unfold MQA.

Also, my alternate choice - QOBUZ can only go HiRes via Roon. Did I mention I spent 25+ years on PC, Linux with every major variant software (outside of Roon) and want nothing more to do with any of that.

So, I am looking at a immature product. Time to get a used v50.

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,515 of 1,853
A quick question guys, is the HIFI setting in Tidal a true normal FLAC data or it's just the WAV data from MQA edcoded FLAC? I kind of feel the MQA encoding is lacking transparency and have been trying to avoid it. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back