Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Feb 8, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #766 of 1,853
Yes, the Tidal app sends 16/44 through the Android Mixer (SRC). But for MQA it plays exactly the same as UAPP: Direct route, 24/44 or 24/48 (depending on the track), with Offloadable flag and the MQA effect flag. I have had to prove this several times around here (such as this post) since the myth that Tidal app plays everything wrong persists. So let me repeat myself from that post you quoted, since it is a fact:

For MQA, the Tidal app works just as well as UAPP and supports offline mode. However, for Redbook 16/44, you want to use UAPP.

This takes nothing away from our devotion to UAPP: It is still our de facto player because we all need to play 16/44 as well. But there is no reason to forgo the offline feature of the Tidal app as long as one is playing MQA.

Edit: Oh, I am specifically referring to LG Quad DAC phones, like the G7 used by @vanhalen26, to whom I was replying. Tidal included special support for MQA on the LG phones. I am sure it would be different on other devices, including external USB DACs.
it is different on the type-c dac ztella cause mqa has its own color marker while tidal app has another indicator, but if you say is almost the same, i might have to try again to spot the difference

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #767 of 1,853
Anybody have some suggestions for good albums? I'm kinda burning out and almost everything in the new MQA album list is so horrible (not the quality, the material itself) that I can't stand to listen more than a minute.

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #769 of 1,853
Feb 15, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #771 of 1,853
Well I like jazz and 70s mostly. I can't stand most of what was made after the mid 1970s :D I don't know any of the ones you mentioned, thanks, I'll try some eventually.

Feb 22, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #772 of 1,853
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #773 of 1,853
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #775 of 1,853
Yes, the Tidal app sends 16/44 through the Android Mixer (SRC). But for MQA it plays exactly the same as UAPP: Direct route, 24/44 or 24/48 (depending on the track), with Offloadable flag and the MQA effect flag. I have had to prove this several times around here (such as this post) since the myth that Tidal app plays everything wrong persists. So let me repeat myself from that post you quoted, since it is a fact:

For MQA, the Tidal app works just as well as UAPP and supports offline mode. However, for Redbook 16/44, you want to use UAPP.

This takes nothing away from our devotion to UAPP: It is still our de facto player because we all need to play 16/44 as well. But there is no reason to forgo the offline feature of the Tidal app as long as one is playing MQA.

Edit: Oh, I am specifically referring to LG Quad DAC phones, like the G7 used by @vanhalen26, to whom I was replying. Tidal included special support for MQA on the LG phones. I am sure it would be different on other devices, including external USB DACs.
what if its in the hiby r5? they bypass android sampling so i assume the tidal native will do everything correctly?

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #776 of 1,853
what if its in the hiby r5? they bypass android sampling so i assume the tidal native will do everything correctly?

I really don't know. My knowledge about Tidal is limited to LG phones with ESS DAC, such as my own V30, or the G7 about which I was responding in that post.

I don't think the Tidal app was designed with much thought on bypassing the Audio Mixer. But they've banked on MQA, so had to find ways to play it. On most devices, that means using their software decoder which performs 1x unfold inside the app. What happens after that is up to the device and its audio stack. When LG began offering hardware MQA in flagship phones (starting with V30) I am sure Tidal asked LG about it, and was told to use the Direct, Offloadable and Mqa flags to have the MQA stream sent straight to the DAC. On LG phones that works on 24-bit music streams -- which most MQA tracks happen to be. But 16-bit streams must be converted to 24-bit (as UAPP does) otherwise they'll be sent through the Mixer, which is where the re-sampling happens.

As you'll see in the post I linked before, even Google Music "bypasses" the Android Mixer when playing 24-bit files on LG phones. But I am sure it isn't thanks to any deep thought on Google's part, they're just querying the properties of the audio device and sending data accordingly. In the case of 24-bit, it just happens to allow Direct path on LG phones.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #777 of 1,853
Hi does any one know if android or iphone can do bit perfect output of tidal via usb? Or its still the same story the src get involved. From what I understand from above post is that hifi flac cd quality get into the src conversion process while the mqa 24bit doesnt?

I also own zx507 sony dap and not sure if it by pass the android src, does any one have concrete answers to those questions?
How can we get tidal bit perfect on the go with the offline feature.

Apr 13, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #778 of 1,853
Hi does any one know if android or iphone can do bit perfect output of tidal via usb? Or its still the same story the src get involved. From what I understand from above post is that hifi flac cd quality get into the src conversion process while the mqa 24bit doesnt?

I also own zx507 sony dap and not sure if it by pass the android src, does any one have concrete answers to those questions?
How can we get tidal bit perfect on the go with the offline feature.

The solution is to purchase the UAPP app via Google Play on your ZX507 or other Android device. If you have an external MQA DAC then you don't even need to purchase the MQA add-on for UAPP, just the main app itself. UAPP is the primary solution for bitperfect output via USB from most Android devices. Even on the LG phones discussed above, USB output is still resampled by the Android system unless you use UAPP.

Apr 13, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #779 of 1,853
The solution is to purchase the UAPP app via Google Play on your ZX507 or other Android device. If you have an external MQA DAC then you don't even need to purchase the MQA add-on for UAPP, just the main app itself. UAPP is the primary solution for bitperfect output via USB from most Android devices. Even on the LG phones discussed above, USB output is still resampled by the Android system unless you use UAPP.

How about playing on the device it self? As dont seem to feel much difference but I do in my pc. Master quality sounds really good

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #780 of 1,853
How about playing on the device it self? As dont seem to feel much difference but I do in my pc. Master quality sounds really good

On most Android devices, the Tidal app does not know how to bypass the operating system's resampling. On MQA-capable LG phones, the Tidal app will play MQA tracks correctly but will still resample other tracks. As far as I can recall only UAPP does everything correctly, locally or via USB. UAPP is worth a try to see how it works on your DAP, and for internal play on that Sony you'll want the MQA add-on. For more reassurance about how your DAP works with UAPP, it's worth asking over on the UAPP thread I linked to above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back