Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Apr 13, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #781 of 1,853
On most Android devices, the Tidal app does not know how to bypass the operating system's resampling. On MQA-capable LG phones, the Tidal app will play MQA tracks correctly but will still resample other tracks. As far as I can recall only UAPP does everything correctly, locally or via USB. UAPP is worth a try to see how it works on your DAP, and for internal play on that Sony you'll want the MQA add-on. For more reassurance about how your DAP works with UAPP, it's worth asking over on the UAPP thread I linked to above.

This still seems to be not so straightforward sucks that it has to be this way...

Is it the same story on iphones or ipad?

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #782 of 1,853
This still seems to be not so straightforward sucks that it has to be this way...

I don't know much about i-devices, but I think for audiophiles this aspect may actually be worse.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #783 of 1,853
On most Android devices, the Tidal app does not know how to bypass the operating system's resampling. On MQA-capable LG phones, the Tidal app will play MQA tracks correctly but will still resample other tracks. As far as I can recall only UAPP does everything correctly, locally or via USB. UAPP is worth a try to see how it works on your DAP, and for internal play on that Sony you'll want the MQA add-on. For more reassurance about how your DAP works with UAPP, it's worth asking over on the UAPP thread I linked to above.

You got it all right regarding the LG phones - which is what I can speak to!

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #784 of 1,853

If you stream Tidal master via iDevice: through USB it will be 24/96, through Airplay 16/44 (I don't know specs of Airplay2, maybe there’s better situation).

May 4, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #786 of 1,853
Let's see if Sony Xperia 1 MKII can get pass the dreaded Android resampling.

May 4, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #787 of 1,853
and also dap with src bypass

May 4, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #788 of 1,853
and also dap with src bypass

Thank you! DAPs with SRC bypass and their own driver can also avoid the Android system resampling problem. FiiO DAPs have been able to bypass SRC at least since the X5 3rd gen, which I own, but even on that device I use UAPP so I forgot all about it. Mostly I use the FiiO Q1 Mark II external DAC/amp connected via USB to an Android phone running UAPP.

May 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #789 of 1,853
So if I'm looking to improve my portable/work desk solution (currently using my Android phone OTG > CEntrance Hifi M8) then the best solution would probably be to purchase an Android based DAP? Which are the best solutions that support offline playback as I don't always have connectivity when I'm various places for work? Have been looking at A&K SE100, Fiio M15, iBasso DX200/220 etc...or is a portable DAC from my phone a better choice such as a Mojo?

May 18, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #790 of 1,853
Mojo does not support MQA.

May 18, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #791 of 1,853
Mojo does not support MQA.

I guess I'm not overly concerned about MQA, just good, quality redbook is enough for me. I'll listen to higher res stuff at times, but I struggle to hear much of a difference.

So, MQA support would be a plus, but not necessarily a requirement.

May 18, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #792 of 1,853
Tidal MQA sounds great on my M11P through UAPP. Very noticeable difference from 44/16. But not all of it is amazing, for example Stevie Wonder's Innervision is disappointing.

In general, older R&B, classic rock, jazz, and acoustic stuff still sounds way better on vinyl, to me. Rush is a great example: my old 80s pressing of Moving Pictures sounds incredible and is crazily better than Tidal MQA.

But for stuff like Lorde, Daft Punk, the MQA can actually sound better than vinyl, to my ears.

But that’s probably a different conversation. As to Tidal MQA I’m really enjoying, I've been loving VM - Moondance, Peter Gabriel - Up, Lorde - Pure Heroine, NIN - Downward Spiral. The ZZ Top 1970-1990 set sounds really good, though my vinyl still tops that one, too.

May 18, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #793 of 1,853
I guess I'm not overly concerned about MQA, just good, quality redbook is enough for me. I'll listen to higher res stuff at times, but I struggle to hear much of a difference.

So, MQA support would be a plus, but not necessarily a requirement.

Fair enough. I was confused by the fact this is a thread about tidal masters mqa and you asked about the Chord Mojo. I do have the Mojo and I think it's a great DAC, but it is not very portable and since it doesn't have analog input I feel kinda meh about recommending it.

Along the lines of what @TubeStack said above, on a system that is resolving enough I feel the MQA albums can be much better than the non-MQA ones. I have no way to know if it is because of MQA or because the MQA albums use better masters. For instance the MQA version of Captain Fantastic by Elton John sounds like the record album. Incredibly rich and not digital-sounding at all. I don't listen to tidal on a phone at all, I am sure the components end-to-end make a big difference. Most of the Van Morrison MQAs are superb.

May 18, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #794 of 1,853
Tidal MQA sounds great on my M11P through UAPP. Very noticeable difference from 44/16. But not all of it is amazing, for example Stevie Wonder's Innervision is disappointing.

In general, older R&B, classic rock, jazz, and acoustic stuff still sounds way better on vinyl, to me. Rush is a great example: my old 80s pressing of Moving Pictures sounds incredible and is crazily better than Tidal MQA.

But for stuff like Lorde, Daft Punk, the MQA can actually sound better than vinyl, to my ears.

But that’s probably a different conversation. As to Tidal MQA I’m really enjoying, I've been loving VM - Moondance, Peter Gabriel - Up, Lorde - Pure Heroine, NIN - Downward Spiral. The ZZ Top 1970-1990 set sounds really good, though my vinyl still tops that one, too.

Fair enough. I was confused by the fact this is a thread about tidal masters mqa and you asked about the Chord Mojo. I do have the Mojo and I think it's a great DAC, but it is not very portable and since it doesn't have analog input I feel kinda meh about recommending it.

Along the lines of what @TubeStack said above, on a system that is resolving enough I feel the MQA albums can be much better than the non-MQA ones. I have no way to know if it is because of MQA or because the MQA albums use better masters. For instance the MQA version of Captain Fantastic by Elton John sounds like the record album. Incredibly rich and not digital-sounding at all. I don't listen to tidal on a phone at all, I am sure the components end-to-end make a big difference. Most of the Van Morrison MQAs are superb.

Thank you both for the input!

My mistake, I guess I read the title as "Tidal, Masters & MQA". I see now that this thread is specific to masters & mqa.

The m11p is on my list currently, but looking through all my options before I make a decision.

May 18, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #795 of 1,853
Thank you both for the input!

My mistake, I guess I read the title as "Tidal, Masters & MQA". I see now that this thread is specific to masters & mqa.

The m11p is on my list currently, but looking through all my options before I make a decision.
consider hiby r5, native mqa available, and has 4.4 output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back