Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #573 of 1,853
Oh man, I’ll lousy about updating my apps so I didnt even notice the iOS update - this is awesome!

My wife has an iPhone 7 with an up to date TIDAL IOS app.
On my iPad it was easy to setup Master streaming quality in the TIDAL IOS app, but my wife's phone shows only HIFI (not Master) as streaming quality, and starting a TIDAL Masters album the blue HIFI sign appears again.
Any suggestion how to change the streaming quality to Master (yellow) on an iPhone within the TIDAL app?

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #574 of 1,853
On my iPad it was easy to setup Master streaming quality in the TIDAL IOS app, but my wife's phone shows only HIFI (not Master) as streaming quality, and starting a TIDAL Masters album the blue HIFI sign appears again.
Any suggestion how to change the streaming quality to Master (yellow) on an iPhone within the TIDAL app?

I’d try manually updating the app.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #575 of 1,853
Congratulations to the iOS folks. I look forward to reports of what your external DAC displays (if it has a display or indicator lights for resolution and/or MQA), and of course how it sounds.

Android owners, you'll notice I did not receive a reply to my report above. That's because it's still the case that the official Tidal app does not bypass the OS resampling. You'll need UAPP for that.

I have Topping D10 DAC connected to my Huawei P20 Pro and it shows 96khz signal from Tidal app, so I guess it depends on the Android Phone model, for me it is working just fine :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_174805.jpg
    IMG_20190321_174805.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #576 of 1,853
I have Topping D10 DAC connected to my Huawei P20 Pro and it shows 96khz signal from Tidal app, so I guess it depends on the Android Phone model, for me it is working just fine :wink:

Interesting. A quick Google search tells me the P20 Pro may resample everything to 96 kHz, up or down, just as most Android devices resample to 48 kHz. Are you getting 96 kHz only with Masters tracks, or with everything from the Tidal app and other apps?

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #578 of 1,853
Posted over in the Dragonfly thread as well. Anyone having issues with the DFR on the 2018 iPad Pro 11 with MQA? With the official USB C -> A dongle and another I tried with MQA tracks it flashes rapidly purple/orange and cuts out on tracks (purple is MQA). The dongle otherwise works fine on hifi tracks.
When I use the DFR with my phone or iPad Air 2 via the older CCK then MQA works no problem. As it works on my phone and old iPad unlikely the Tidal app and it isn't streaming since it happens with downloaded mqa tracks too. The iPad Pro and DFR don't play well together? App bug?

Mar 22, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #579 of 1,853
Posted over in the Dragonfly thread as well. Anyone having issues with the DFR on the 2018 iPad Pro 11 with MQA? With the official USB C -> A dongle and another I tried with MQA tracks it flashes rapidly purple/orange and cuts out on tracks (purple is MQA). The dongle otherwise works fine on hifi tracks.
When I use the DFR with my phone or iPad Air 2 via the older CCK then MQA works no problem. As it works on my phone and old iPad unlikely the Tidal app and it isn't streaming since it happens with downloaded mqa tracks too. The iPad Pro and DFR don't play well together? App bug?

I don't use this combo for listening, but I do happen to have both the iPad Pro 11" and DFR, so I tested it out for you. I don't have an Apple USB C to USB A, just a generic OTG C male to A female. I'm experiencing the same thing you are with the light flashing between magenta & orange, but the audio does not cut out; it plays, but just doesn't lock in on a color (granted I only tried for like 30 seconds so I'm not sure how long before audio cuts out in your secenario). I tried both in the Tidal app and in Roon serving up a MQA track from Tidal and same thing on both apps. Leads me to believe it's hardware rather than software.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #580 of 1,853
I don't use this combo for listening, but I do happen to have both the iPad Pro 11" and DFR, so I tested it out for you. I don't have an Apple USB C to USB A, just a generic OTG C male to A female. I'm experiencing the same thing you are with the light flashing between magenta & orange, but the audio does not cut out; it plays, but just doesn't lock in on a color (granted I only tried for like 30 seconds so I'm not sure how long before audio cuts out in your secenario). I tried both in the Tidal app and in Roon serving up a MQA track from Tidal and same thing on both apps. Leads me to believe it's hardware rather than software.

Thanks for giving it a shot. So, I'm not alone in that issue.
The cutting out/audio issues were not present on all songs. One that had issues - Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #581 of 1,853
Interesting. A quick Google search tells me the P20 Pro may resample everything to 96 kHz, up or down, just as most Android's devices resample to 48 kHz. Are you getting 96 kHz only with Masters tracks, or with everything from the Tidal app and other apps?
I guess like Android ecosystem everything is not equal in terms of the hardware and software. Not like iOS where it's easier to implement the MQA to USB DAC compatibility. I'm so sad I thought MQA would work on all Android phone through a MQA DAC. I guess I might have to get a phone which is compatible as well...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #582 of 1,853
I guess like Android ecosystem everything is not equal in terms of the hardware and software. Not like iOS where it's easier to implement the MQA to USB DAC compatibility. I'm so sad I thought MQA would work on all Android phone through a MQA DAC. I guess I might have to get a phone which is compatible as well...

It is indeed sad, because the Android OS could include a fix for this. But the solution is easy enough: UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro, formerly USB Audio Recorder Pro), which is a great player in general too. It creates a bit perfect connection to external USB DACs, and is great for use with internal DACs as well whatever their capabilities. I use UAPP for Tidal, Qobuz, Internet Radio, UPnP/DLNA, and local playback. Website || Play Store || Head-Fi thread

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #584 of 1,853

Did you fix this? Having same problem on multiple phones. Checked my settings and downloaded and streamed and all ways it’s only outputting hifi and my dac is showing 44.1.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #585 of 1,853
Thank you both! I looked under settings thinking there would be a choice from ‘Hifi’ to ‘Masters’ and didn’t see it.

*edit* - turns out my app hadn’t updated. Just did a manual update and I see the masters quality option in settings and on songs/albums.

Do you see it when you’re actually playing songs? It shows masters instead of hifi at the bottom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back