Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Feb 8, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #527 of 1,853
Finally, Tidal app works with usb dac! No need for uapp, because it doesn't work with my Huawei P20 Pro...

"Works" is a relative term. The Android OS resamples all USB output to 24/48, even if it was unfolded by the app to 24/192. This happens with both the Tidal and Qobuz apps, and as far as I know only UAPP gets around the problem. Sorry UAPP doesn't work with your Huawei, but I know Davy would welcome any information that allows him to find a workaround.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #529 of 1,853
OK, what is the point for Tidal to offer MQA audio for android users then? It is not logical if there is a resampling going on. I think a new app is made to bypass android SRC, because I can definitely hear a difference in sound quality then listening to MQA tracks in Tidal app...

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #530 of 1,853
OK, what is the point for Tidal to offer MQA audio for android users then? It is not logical if there is a resampling going on. I think a new app is made to bypass android SRC, because I can definitely hear a difference in sound quality then listening to MQA tracks in Tidal app...

Most definitely agree. It’s baffling Tidal and Qobuz would go to the trouble of streaming HiRes files amd allowing resampling down to 24/48 where little ‘ole UAPP knows how to bypass it. I have to assume that the folks at Tidal and Qobuz aren’t unaware or stupid. Can we prove this out? Something doesn’t line up.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #531 of 1,853
Even if that is the case it's still not perfect, I get millisecond dropouts/skips 2-3 times a song, sometimes it doesn't happen at all, don't get this problem through UAPP.

They're so close, I'd be happy with offline listening and being able to use a DAC, that's all I want!

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #533 of 1,853
Which is the less expensive way to play tidal master (i ve a marantz 5012 and a pc, full decode) ??? Usb dac? Dap? Phone?

Some say you won't be missing much if you rely on the Tidal app's 1x software decode up to 96 kHz. As far as I know the built-in Marantz music app does not yet support MQA, so a direct wireless connection is not possible. You could output from a PC to the Marantz via HDMI, S/PDIF (coaxial or optical), or analog RCA inputs, and see which one sounds best to you. Using a phone introduces its own challenges, but could be done with the UAPP app and an external MQA DAC cabled to the Marantz analog inputs. It's best to turn off all processing if the Marantz settings allow for that.

The next step up would be placing an MQA-capable DAC (renderer or full decoder) between the PC and the Marantz, and connecting to the Marantz via the analog RCA inputs. The next step up from there would be to move the source away from your sound system, by placing a remote wired or wireless streamer by the Marantz, and controling the streamer via your phone or PC. The latest Bluesound Node streamer includes an MQA-capable DAC with Tidal included.

Head spinning yet? Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #534 of 1,853
Some say you won't be missing much if you rely on the Tidal app's 1x software decode up to 96 kHz. As far as I know the built-in Marantz music app does not yet support MQA, so a direct wireless connection is not possible. You could output from a PC to the Marantz via HDMI, S/PDIF (coaxial or optical), or analog RCA inputs, and see which one sounds best to you. Using a phone introduces its own challenges, but could be done with the UAPP app and an external MQA DAC cabled to the Marantz analog inputs. It's best to turn off all processing if the Marantz settings allow for that.

The next step up would be placing an MQA-capable DAC (renderer or full decoder) between the PC and the Marantz, and connecting to the Marantz via the analog RCA inputs. The next step up from there would be to move the source away from your sound system, by placing a remote wired or wireless streamer by the Marantz, and controling the streamer via your phone or PC. The latest Bluesound Node streamer includes an MQA-capable DAC with Tidal included.

Head spinning yet? Welcome to the rabbit hole.

I want a full decoder mqa capable dac, Which its the lest expesive?
I saw that there are some dap o phones that could use, those are full decoder? I want it to know because i looking for a new phone and i saw that there is some phones could use as a dac but i dont know which ones.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #535 of 1,853
I want a full decoder mqa capable dac, Which its the lest expesive?
I saw that there are some dap o phones that could use, those are full decoder? I want it to know because i looking for a new phone and i saw that there is some phones could use as a dac but i dont know which ones.

Full decoding MQA capable DAC, least expensive? Probably the iFi iDSD Black Label. The Audioquest Dragonfly Red requires 1x software decoding by the app first. A small step up is the Pro Ject Pre Box S2 Digital. Others here may have their own favorites.

MQA in phones and DAPs is a very large subject. There is for example an entire separate thread here on the features of the LG V30. Since you're asking about outputting to an external DAC and/or your Marantz, all I'll say now is that none of the DAP/phone's internal DAC capabilities would matter. It's a question of what comes out the USB port. I can't advise you on iOS, but for Android you'd have to use the UAPP app.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #536 of 1,853
With newest Android 9 you can use Tidal app with no problem, any USB DAC should work fine. The easiest way to get digital signal from any Phone, Tablet or PC is to use USB DAC which has digital out, for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE
Conect this DAC to Marantz digital input and vuolia! :) It is not full MQA unfold, but 24/96 is more than enough :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #537 of 1,853
Which is the less expensive way to play tidal master (i ve a marantz 5012 and a pc, full decode) ??? Usb dac? Dap? Phone?

Excellent input there from @Left Channel on your different options.

I would only add that on V30 and newer (V35/G7/V40) the Tidal app plays MQA perfectly, with full 4x decoding and rendering in hardware. UAPP is needed to play Redbook 16/44 unmolested, as the Tidal app currently plays that through the Android Mixer, causing it to be upsampled to 48kHz. However for MQA tracks there is no difference between the Tidal app and UAPP on these phones. You will want UAPP anyway in order to play all kinds of sources, including local files up to PCM 352kHz and DSD256.

I personally think V30 is an easy answer to your question, unless you had a preference to avoid phones (which I understand is not the case). You can buy New or Mint condition ones on eBay for around $225, and they are excellent phones in addition to being excellent music sources. I would avoid T-Mobile models and recommend so-called Open Market models (ones that haven't been messed with by carriers: US998 in USA, H930 in Europe). Just ask the eBay seller if it is a genuine Open Market model or a converted previous carrier model. The latter is OK, it just adds a few limitations in case you want to root the phone some day.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #538 of 1,853
With newest Android 9 you can use Tidal app with no problem, any USB DAC should work fine. The easiest way to get digital signal from any Phone, Tablet or PC is to use USB DAC which has digital out, for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE
Conect this DAC to Marantz digital input and vuolia! :) It is not full MQA unfold, but 24/96 is more than enough :wink:

Does Android 9 no longer resample all USB output to 48 kHz? Last time I tested it, on an LG G7 One running Android 9, the Tidal app was not able to bypass the system's resampling of all USB signals to 48 kHz. Only the UAPP app was able to output the full resolution via USB. UAPP supports Tidal, Qobuz, local files, and more. (@Trunksleo I'm still concentrating only on USB output here. If you have more questions about the V30 and the G7 One, see my full report via the link in my second sentence above, and other posts in that thread.)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #539 of 1,853
Does Android 9 no longer resample all USB output to 48 kHz? Last time I tested it, on an LG G7 One running Android 9, the Tidal app was not able to bypass the system's resampling of all USB signals to 48 kHz. Only the UAPP app was able to output the full resolution via USB. UAPP supports Tidal, Qobuz, local files, and more. (@Trunksleo I'm still concentrating only on USB output here. If you have more questions about the V30 and the G7 One, see my full report via the link in my second sentence above, and other posts in that thread.)

Yes, the v30 its too big for my hand. So im was thinking about the g7. Its a full decoder like the ifi micro black? Both are going to be connected by a rca to 3.5 cable to the auxiliar of marantz. So i was going to buy a new phone i want it to know that if i could that now that Android can play mqa of tidal.

Mar 1, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #540 of 1,853
Yes, the v30 its too big for my hand. So im was thinking about the g7. Its a full decoder like the ifi micro black? Both are going to be connected by a rca to 3.5 cable to the auxiliar of marantz. So i was going to buy a new phone i want it to know that if i could that now that Android can play mqa of tidal.

I think you are confusing V30 with the V40: V30 is just about the same size as G7 (6.0 inch display vs 6.1 inch) whereas the V40 is significantly larger (6.5 inch) and more expensive. G7 is a good choice for its newer hardware and more RAM than V30, but it has LCD instead of OLED. If you think you'll ever root the phone, V30 is the better choice. If you do get G7, make sure you don't get the Android One version, as that doesn't have hardware MQA support (to my understanding, I could be wrong).

Edit: Seeing Left Channel's last post I wonder if I misunderstood: Are you looking to output through USB?

If you are looking to use the V30/G7's ESS DAC and play through its headphone jack, you will have full 4x MQA unfolding and rendering in hardware, directly from the Tidal app, no re-sampling. There is a myth that only UAPP will play MQA correctly, and it is not true. I have proven this umpteen times now in different threads here. Similarly, all HiRes music (or anything 24 bit) will play correctly, without downsampling, from all apps (all reasonable ones anyway).

But for playing Redbook 16/44 without upsampling, you will need UAPP or Neutron. I highly recommend UAPP, best $8 you can spend on a V30/V35/V40/G7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back