Tidal Masters & MQA Thread!
Jan 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #497 of 1,853
Does anyone know whether you can transfer offline content stored on an SD card to a different device?

Nope - the files dowloaded onto the SD card on one phone are locked to the phone on which tidal is installed - won't work anywhere else. You can have 3 offline devices at any one time I believe.

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #498 of 1,853
Did anybody notice sometimes there are albums with songs greyed out? It's weird, I would have thought if Tidal has the album they have the whole album. But no, sometimes you see albums where all the songs are listed but some songs are greyed out and can't be played.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #501 of 1,853
Thanks guys. Incredible what the world has come to.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #502 of 1,853
Did anybody notice sometimes there are albums with songs greyed out? It's weird, I would have thought if Tidal has the album they have the whole album. But no, sometimes you see albums where all the songs are listed but some songs are greyed out and can't be played.

It depends on the copyright of the album in your country.
Another strange issue: I enjoyed very much Ryan Adams' Live at Carnegie Hall album which was a Master album for a while, but later it was downgraded to HIFI.
I do not think it is a copyright issue.
I am living in Hungary...

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #504 of 1,853
It depends on the copyright of the album in your country.
Another strange issue: I enjoyed very much Ryan Adams' Live at Carnegie Hall album which was a Master album for a while, but later it was downgraded to HIFI.
I do not think it is a copyright issue.
I am living in Hungary...

Hello from Czech Republic :)

I didn't see for the music I listened to yet, but I did read comments that sometimes albums come and go on Tidal. Maybe other services too. I don't know why they do this. I guess maybe their marketing licensing blah blah blah changes. For us it's annoying and unacceptable.

We have to start taping off the air so we will have the albums when they disappear :wink:

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #505 of 1,853
check "Jackie Brown"-soundtrack:

https://listen.tidal.com/album/3977762

i'm able to play three tracks....

so i made my own JB-soundtrack (not perfect but close enough) :
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/b200ad4c-a730-4751-8e05-95df915da72c

JBST.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #506 of 1,853
Tidal are citing MQA support for iOS 'soon' - I wonder how this is going to work with things like the lightning -> 3.5mm dongle and my iSine's with the cipher cable?
Questions like this push the concept of 'soon' to 'God knows' in my book.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #507 of 1,853
Hi nixternal-I have the iDSD Nano BL. If you also have the Nano (wasn't sure if you had that one or one of the other BL's) and you want the full MQA rendering, you should have Passthrough MQA set to OFF in the Tidal desktop app.

The Nano BL needs the software in the Tidal desktop app to do the first unfold of the MQA stream and the Nano will do the second unfold and render the full MQA stream. Assuming you have the 5.3 or 5.3C firmware installed on your Nano BL, you'll get the magenta light when it's fully rendering the MQA stream. That's not to say that you may not be getting better sound quality just giving the Nano the full undecoded MQA stream without the first unfold, as everyone's systems and ears are different!
I have the iFi Micro DSD BL, the Meridian Explorer2 plus dacs in my Naim Uniti, Marantz Streamer and Cambridge Audio CD Player and use Audirvana. Sound preference iFi Micro / Meridian Explorer2 via Audirvana / Explorer2 via Tidal / Naim Uniti via Audirvana / Cambridge SACD / Naim Uniti via Tidal / Marantz via Audirvana. The iFi Micro BL is significantly better than the others for Tidal and marginally better as outboard DAC for Cambridge SACD player. Crisper, tighter base and generally more insightful.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #508 of 1,853
Greeting all:

Curious how many of you are using Tidal via its native interface vs Roon or some 3rd party integrator. My interest is solely sound quality: I'm using my laptop, which is feeding Tidal to my CD player (which can also be used as a separate DAC), over to my amp and speakers.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #509 of 1,853
Greeting all:

Curious how many of you are using Tidal via its native interface vs Roon or some 3rd party integrator. My interest is solely sound quality: I'm using my laptop, which is feeding Tidal to my CD player (which can also be used as a separate DAC), over to my amp and speakers.

I have the iFi Micro DSD BL, the Meridian Explorer2 plus dacs in my Naim Uniti, Marantz Streamer and Cambridge Audio SACD Player and use Audirvana. Sound preference iFi Micro via Audirvana / Meridian Explorer2 via Audirvana / Explorer2 via Tidal / Naim Uniti via Audirvana / Cambridge SACD / Naim Uniti via Tidal / Marantz via Audirvana. The iFi Micro BL is significantly better than the others for Tidal and marginally better as outboard DAC for Cambridge SACD player. Crisper, tighter base and generally more insightful.

Feb 3, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #510 of 1,853
Greeting all:

I have a love hate relationship with ROON, enough to question all the praise heaped upon it by others. 9 months until my subscription expires, personally my worst purchase.

But these are my experiences, I therefore use Tidal and Qobuz via their native apps on Win 10/MacBook via either my iFI Nano BL or Chord Mojo.
If mobile I tend to use UAPP with the iFI Nano or mConnect via Chord Mojo/Poly. My preference is the Mojo/Poly implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back