Tidal Lossless Streaming
Apr 23, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,996 of 5,210
You're right about MP3 though, if they serve MP3 at all that would be impractical to do on the fly.
MP3 is not a complex format and it is absolutely possible to do PCM to MP3 conversion on the fly. There are GitHub projects that will run on a phone. Consider that playing PCM to Bluetooth involves converting to codecs such as aptX, AAC, and LDAC.

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #4,997 of 5,210
MP3 is not a complex format and it is absolutely possible to do PCM to MP3 conversion on the fly. There are GitHub projects that will run on a phone. Consider that playing PCM to Bluetooth involves converting to codecs such as aptX, AAC, and LDAC.
I know it's not a complex format but it does take some resources and time. I would be very surprised if any streaming service is set up for that.

The comparison with bluetooth is not relevant, streaming services don't do that. That's completely on the client side.

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #4,998 of 5,210
The comparison with bluetooth is not relevant, streaming services don't do that. That's completely on the client side.
My point was that converting PCM to formats like aptX is done in real time, and converting to MP3 is not more difficult. If a client can achieve it with limited resources, certainly it is no problem for the server side to do a MP3 real time conversion.

In the end, we don't know what happens between the record label and the streaming service — whether the record label is providing music files in multiple resolutions and formats, or if the streaming service is doing conversions in real time.

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #4,999 of 5,210
My point was that converting PCM to formats like aptX is done in real time, and converting to MP3 is not more difficult. If a client can achieve it with limited resources, certainly it is no problem for the server side to do a MP3 real time conversion.

It remains an apples and oranges comparison, since FLAC -> MP3 is done in software, and PCM format conversion for Bluetooth is done in hardware.

In the end, we don't know what happens between the record label and the streaming service

Agreed.

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #5,000 of 5,210
Been running Tidal for nearly a year on my AK Kann Max. Love the service. Downloaded numerous Pat Metheny MQA files from Tidal, but now am noticing that some of his catalog is no longer on Tidal in MQA format. Found this by trying to build a new playlist with MQA songs on my Kann Tidal that are no longer in MQA on the Tidal streamer. Tidal no longer sells music and I cannot find anyone selling Metheny MQA. Is there a way to extract TIdal files off the Kann? I know MQA is going through a re-structuring and want to localize whatever I can. TIA.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #5,001 of 5,210
Been running Tidal for nearly a year on my AK Kann Max. Love the service. Downloaded numerous Pat Metheny MQA files from Tidal, but now am noticing that some of his catalog is no longer on Tidal in MQA format. Found this by trying to build a new playlist with MQA songs on my Kann Tidal that are no longer in MQA on the Tidal streamer. Tidal no longer sells music and I cannot find anyone selling Metheny MQA. Is there a way to extract TIdal files off the Kann? I know MQA is going through a re-structuring and want to localize whatever I can. TIA.
Interesting find. Just from a cursory look it appears that the Geffen catalog is no longer MQA but most of the rest still is, the ECM and most of the more current (last 20 years or so) stuff. Wonder if this is a trend. Sorry that I can't help with the MQA and extraction stuff.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #5,002 of 5,210
Interesting find. Just from a cursory look it appears that the Geffen catalog is no longer MQA but most of the rests still is, ECM and most of the more current (last 20 years or so) stuff. Wonder if this is a trend. Sorry that I can't help with the MQA and extraction stuff.
Yeah thanks. About the only reason I've been using Tidal is for MQA. If they will be transitioning over to FLAC, I will probably not continue. If MQA is to fade away, the labels will not want to continue paying licensing fees for it, especially if any inbound revenue stream from it would vanish.

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #5,003 of 5,210
Yeah thanks. About the only reason I've been using Tidal is for MQA. If they will be transitioning over to FLAC, I will probably not continue. If MQA is to fade away, the labels will not want to continue paying licensing fees for it, especially if any inbound revenue stream from it would vanish.
Yes, the devil is always in the details. Whenever Tidal transitions/replaces some part of their catalogue with Hi Res FLAC, those Geffen titles may be offered in FLAC 24/96 or higher but how they will compare to the MQA from a subjective listening POV is individual to everyone I guess.

Not to mention the provenance (I doubt those Geffen Metheny MQA were recorded higher than redbook 16/44.1 but I could be wrong) of those titles and the rest of the Hi Res Tidal eventually offers up, but that's another subject altogether.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #5,004 of 5,210
Yes, the devil is always in the details. Whenever Tidal transitions/replaces some part of their catalogue with Hi Res FLAC, those Geffen titles may be offered in FLAC 24/96 or higher but how they will compare to the MQA from a subjective listening POV is individual to everyone I guess.

Not to mention the provenance (I doubt those Geffen Metheny MQA were recorded higher than redbook 16/44.1 but I could be wrong) of those titles and the rest of the Hi Res Tidal eventually offers up, but that's another subject altogether.
Probably a good time to do a double-blind test for formats. MQA was noticeably better the last time I did this, but if MQA will no longer be an option, it is time to see if my ears feel the same way about it.

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #5,005 of 5,210
Recenlty I have stopped using Tidal in favor of Spotify, and I don't notice any degrade in the sound quality on my BTR5 2021 nor can I notice any differnece on my Fiio M11 ESS. The amount of money I was paying for Tidal was a complete waste of money for just the ability to say that I was listening to higher quality audio, even if in fact there was no upgrade in quality from the get-go at least any difference that my ears could pick up. Not to mention the very limited sound libarry and the horrible radio that Tidal offers in comparison to Spotify. Am not saying that Tidal is worse than Spotify for everyone, but if you are looking to get into the loseless music rabbithole, make sure that you can even notice the difference to start with, don't be like me and just let pseudo control you. This is without even mentioning all the fuzz about MQA.

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #5,006 of 5,210
Am not saying that Tidal is worse than Spotify for everyone, but if you are looking to get into the loseless music rabbithole, make sure that you can even notice the difference to start with, don't be like me and just let pseudo control you.
That’s definitely great advice, I did exactly this early on, and the difference with Apple Music, which hadn’t gone lossless at the time, was noticeable enough for me that I was happy to pay for Tidal.

3 years later and Tidal’s algorithms seem to know my music preferences better than I do. I find the My Daily Discovery playlist, Albums For You, Suggested New Tracks etc to be spot on pretty much all of the time, and now I can’t really go without them.

Would Spotify do as well? Maybe, but I can’t imagine it would be better and I’d have to start all over again.

Whatever holes Tidal had in their catalog in the last have been filled, so I’m very happy and I will be staying for a while.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #5,007 of 5,210
I found that I much preferred Tidal to Spotify. I haven’t really found any deficiencies in the Tidal music library. Sometimes I’m staggered about the stuff they do have that I wouldn’t necessarily expect. Of course though this is going to differ for everyone. There’s a saying here ‘one man’s muck is another man’s brass’, and I think that’s true with the streaming services.

I would agree with @Neweymatt about Tidal’s recommendations. They can be really spot on with what they send to you.

(edit for spelling)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #5,008 of 5,210
I found that I much preferred Tidal to Spotify. I haven’t really found any deficiencies in the Tidal music library. Sometimes I’m staggered about the stuff they do have that I wouldn’t necessarily expect. Of course though this is going to differ for everyone. There’s a saying here ‘one man’s muck is another man’s brass’, and I think that’s true with the streaming services.

I would agree with @Neweymatt about Tidal’s recommendations. They can be really spot on with what they send to you.

(edit for spelling)
Just to prove the point, here's what Tidal is suggesting for me today:

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 7.42.09 pm.png

New stuff from 3 Legendary, All-Time favourites of mine mixed in with several newer artists I know well, and a few that I don't. All of it worth a listen to me for one reason or another.

May 2, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #5,009 of 5,210
from my 2 cents, I think I have preferred the way Spotify made mixes as it just fit me better. My biggest issue with Tidal and for some reason in my car when listening VIA bluetooth it will be on shuffle for the mix but it plays the exact same songs in the exact same order. This becomes an issue because I feel like I keep hearing the same songs over and over.

Jun 1, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #5,010 of 5,210
Sorry if it's been discussed here before but does anyone know the actual timetable of Tidal streaming in at least mostly Flac. I canceled my paid Tidal subscription after I learned I wouldn't lose my playlists. I've been using Qobuz but plan to return to Tidal for high-rez streaming once it's Flac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back