Tidal Lossless Streaming
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #4,966 of 5,203
I am in wait-and-see mode.

The one area where there is room for improvement in the Tidal UI is the “recommended” list. My observation is that it is still heavily biased with hip-hop and other favs that JZ might like. It would not be difficult to filter the new recommendations based on the thousands of tracks I have actually tagged.

I look forward to hi-res tracks based on actual masters. By-by MQA.

Tidal folks: please ask your sources to specifically note the provenance of the tracks supplied. Then display it in the album info. You can compete with Qobuz if you have the best “master” tracks.

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #4,967 of 5,203
I am in wait-and-see mode.

The one area where there is room for improvement in the Tidal UI is the “recommended” list. My observation is that it is still heavily biased with hip-hop and other favs that JZ might like. It would not be difficult to filter the new recommendations based on the thousands of tracks I have actually tagged.

I look forward to hi-res tracks based on actual masters. By-by MQA.

Tidal folks: please ask your sources to specifically note the provenance of the tracks supplied. Then display it in the album info. You can compete with Qobuz if you have the best “master” tracks.
I’m not sure which “recommended” list you mean , but the “My Daily Discovery” playlist is based entirely on tracks and artists you’ve liked. “Suggested New Tracks” and “Suggested New Albums” are likewise pretty much always spot on, for me at least.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #4,968 of 5,203
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #4,969 of 5,203
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #4,970 of 5,203
I wonder when they say soon, do they mean soon as in sometime this week or soon as in sometime next year? I'm anxious because I was ready to cancel Tidal in favor of Qobuz. I'm willing to hang in there if it's not too far off
I would guess it will take at least months. They probably need to renegotiate their contract with each record label. Tidal hasn't even made a formal public announcement or press release about what they will be doing. If you are in the US, cancelling a Tidal subscription simply means you get bumped down to the free, ad-supported, MP3 quality tier.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #4,971 of 5,203
I wonder when they say soon, do they mean soon as in sometime this week or soon as in sometime next year? I'm anxious because I was ready to cancel Tidal in favor of Qobuz. I'm willing to hang in there if it's not too far off
TIDAL_Sheila from Reddit a day ago says :

"To provide further clarification, we will continue to offer MQA to our HiFi Plus subscribers in addition to expanding our audio offering with the introduction of hi-resolution FLAC later this year."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/12hr68f/comment/jfuo1ng/?sort=new

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #4,972 of 5,203
Hope it wouldn't be Spotify kind of soon, who announced more than two years ago their HiFi premium tier. Still not available.

Apr 15, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #4,973 of 5,203
Does anyone know if I discontinue Tidal until the upgrade, is there a way to be certain I don't lose my playlists? It has to be certain or else I'll just bite the bullet and keep paying it every month even if I'm using Qobuz too

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #4,974 of 5,203
Does anyone know if I discontinue Tidal until the upgrade, is there a way to be certain I don't lose my playlists? It has to be certain or else I'll just bite the bullet and keep paying it every month even if I'm using Qobuz too
Are you in the US? As I posted earlier, cancelling the paid subscription simply bumps your Tidal account down to the free tier (MP3 quality, with ads). Your favorites and playlists stay with your account on the free tier. I cancelled my paid subscription over a year ago because I had both Qobuz and Tidal, but was hardly using Tidal.

BTW, if you're in the US, it isn't worth doing a monthly Tidal subscription. Best Buy has an annual subscription at $80/year for Tidal HiFi, or $120/year for Tidal HiFi Plus.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=tidal+subscription

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #4,975 of 5,203
Are you in the US? As I posted earlier, cancelling the paid subscription simply bumps your Tidal account down to the free tier (MP3 quality, with ads). Your favorites and playlists stay with your account on the free tier. I cancelled my paid subscription over a year ago because I had both Qobuz and Tidal, but was hardly using Tidal.

BTW, if you're in the US, it isn't worth doing a monthly Tidal subscription. Best Buy has an annual subscription at $80/year for Tidal HiFi, or $120/year for Tidal HiFi Plus.
Thank you very much. That's a game changer for me. $120 a year compared to $240. It looks like I need to cancel my existing Hi-Fi Plus subscription, taking it to the free service and then activating the one-year prepaid account from Best Buy

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #4,976 of 5,203
It looks like I need to cancel my existing Hi-Fi Plus subscription, taking it to the free service and then activating the one-year prepaid account from Best Buy
Yes, that's exactly what you need to do because you can't use the Best Buy annual subscription while your monthly is still active. You need to cancel your monthly subscription and wait for it to run out (Tidal will send you an email after expiration), then do the Best Buy subscription.

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #4,977 of 5,203
Yes, that's exactly what you need to do because you can't use the Best Buy annual subscription while your monthly is still active. You need to cancel your monthly subscription and wait for it to run out (Tidal will send you an email after expiration), then do the Best Buy subscription.
Thanks. I would never have known any of this without your help

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #4,978 of 5,203

That‘s really not a bad price. I’ve thought about switching from Qobuz since tidal is moving to FLAC. I haven’t looked up when the switch is going to happen though.

Apr 15, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #4,979 of 5,203
That‘s really not a bad price. I’ve thought about switching from Qobuz since tidal is moving to FLAC. I haven’t looked up when the switch is going to happen though.
I don't think anyone knows for sure. The only official word seems to be "Later this year" Actually I was pretty happy with Amazon HD or whatever they call it but everything gets up sampled to 192. I like listening at the native bit rate, whatever it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back