Tidal Lossless Streaming
Apr 16, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,466 of 5,203
  I am so happy!!

I just tried Tidal Hifi free offer and I cannot hear a difference with Spotify
blink.gif
. I just saved 10$ per month! 
wink_face.gif

Lucky me... 

Seriously, do you REALLY hear a difference ?? I tried Tidal with all my headphones and I found no differences... zero, nada nothing!

Personally yes I can hear a difference between lossy and lossless music - Tidal and Tidal HiFi. The best way to describe it is with a lossy codec the music sounds like it is trapped in a bubble that is too small for it and it is straining at the surface but it cannot break through. Lossless (Tidal Hifi) is when the bubble pops. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #3,468 of 5,203

Good for you!
beerchug.gif

I still don't 
atsmile.gif

For me it's not that the differences are very apparent, but I do get tired of hearing lossy much quicker than lossless. But then again, my source for lossy is Google Music which uses the horrible Mp3 format. So if you're using Apple Music (AAC) or Spotify (vorbis) differences could be less apparent.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #3,469 of 5,203
FWIW the difference on Tidal itself is likely not accidental. Comparing Tidal HiFi to Apple/Google/Spotify is more useful. Every time I took Tidal's test I managed to do pretty well, but on my own tests? Nothing.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #3,471 of 5,203
so have we discussed why tidal has multiple copies of some albums listed?  for example many of the Frank Zappa albums.

Sometimes there are multiple releases of an album over the years - remastering and/or bonus tracks, etc.

I did notice a bunch of Joni Mitchell duplicates showing 48k right next to the same album showing 44k. Thought those might be MQA, but don't know since I'm not MQAing.

IMO

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #3,472 of 5,203

For me it's not that the differences are very apparent, but I do get tired of hearing lossy much quicker than lossless. But then again, my source for lossy is Google Music which uses the horrible Mp3 format. So if you're using Apple Music (AAC) or Spotify (vorbis) differences could be less apparent.

No issues with Google Music from me, and I've listened all day with most of the major music streaming services on multiple occasions, including Tidal MQA only and their Lossless (HiFi) tracks.  Google uses Lame version 3.98 CBR 320, which is mostly audibly transparent for just about all music.  

Can't explain why you would get tired, but it doesn't appear that you fully understand the quality level of mp3, and just how transparent it could be.  It is far from horrible.

With my current setup, I was able to successfully pass the Phillips Golden Ear Challenge when it was available.  So my ears and gear is not really the issue.  I was also able to identify a difference in an ABX test between Tidal FLAC and Tidal AAC, and the verifiable results are posted somewhere on Head-Fi, including the test files for anyone to test for themselves.  Now I did make my own test files based on a CD rip of the same Tidal song, and I was unable to hear a difference in an ABX between my own FLAC, the Tidal FLAC, and my own mp3 or AAC.  So whatever Tidal is doing to their AAC lossy files, it is causing a difference that I am able to detect with some music.  Then I extracted the Google Music version of the same song, and again I was unable to hear a difference between the Google file, the Tidal FLAC, my own CD-ripped FLAC, or either my own mp3 or aac file.

In fact, I did test several Google Music files with a  FLAC lossless at Red Book or even "HD" (24/96), and I was never able to show a difference with an ABX using Foobar.

Sorry you get fatigued, but I really don't think that well-encoded MP3 is any worse than AAC.  There isn't any reliable evidence to suggest otherwise.

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #3,473 of 5,203
I have a couple of spots open in my Premium Family membership if anyone is interested. PM me.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,476 of 5,203
Is there any kinda desktop player like Roon that isn't $120 a year and will let me integrate Tidal and my local albums?

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,478 of 5,203
No issues with Google Music from me, and I've listened all day with most of the major music streaming services on multiple occasions, including Tidal MQA only and their Lossless (HiFi) tracks.  Google uses Lame version 3.98 CBR 320, which is mostly audibly transparent for just about all music.  

Can't explain why you would get tired, but it doesn't appear that you fully understand the quality level of mp3, and just how transparent it could be.  It is far from horrible.

With my current setup, I was able to successfully pass the Phillips Golden Ear Challenge when it was available.  So my ears and gear is not really the issue.  I was also able to identify a difference in an ABX test between Tidal FLAC and Tidal AAC, and the verifiable results are posted somewhere on Head-Fi, including the test files for anyone to test for themselves.  Now I did make my own test files based on a CD rip of the same Tidal song, and I was unable to hear a difference in an ABX between my own FLAC, the Tidal FLAC, and my own mp3 or AAC.  So whatever Tidal is doing to their AAC lossy files, it is causing a difference that I am able to detect with some music.  Then I extracted the Google Music version of the same song, and again I was unable to hear a difference between the Google file, the Tidal FLAC, my own CD-ripped FLAC, or either my own mp3 or aac file.

In fact, I did test several Google Music files with a  FLAC lossless at Red Book or even "HD" (24/96), and I was never able to show a difference with an ABX using Foobar.

Sorry you get fatigued, but I really don't think that well-encoded MP3 is any worse than AAC.  There isn't any reliable evidence to suggest otherwise.

To be honest it may be placebo. There's something about MP3 that doesn't feel right. I'm running a Beyerdynamic T5p v1 hooked to a dedicated amp and DAC. Anyhow, I wished GPM offered FLAC

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #3,480 of 5,203
To be honest it may be placebo. There's something about MP3 that doesn't feel right. I'm running a Beyerdynamic T5p v1 hooked to a dedicated amp and DAC. Anyhow, I wished GPM offered FLAC

Yes, I wish GPM offered lossless FLAC as well, if only for peace of mind.  At this point though, the convenience of GPM trumps any potential sound quality improvements that might be gained by using Tidal with the Roon ecosystem.  I'm only one person though, and clearly others do not share my opinion on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back