Tidal Lossless Streaming
Oct 28, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #16 of 5,203
UPDATE: SPOKE TOO SOON: a little setting modification. All is well. LTE streaming works here. Havent tried the desktop or video with my rather "pedestrian" E17 DAC/Amp combo unit. Still, it is nice to contribute. Will post those results later today.
NO DELAY ON WiFi on Tmo GS4, Switched to 4G LTE and got the message "streaming not allowed". Not surprised as i burned thru my "real" 4G LTE data a few days ago. Sounds pristine from the built-in GS4 Audio solution. I dont have an outboard Android DAC/Amp to test with... but this is as good as my FLAC files from my local filesystem. Lossless audio streaming a la pandora style achieved I would say, all things considered. The Kraftwerk Masters in their collection sound nice.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 5,203
it works... for music streaming, but I couldn't find the HD videos ? And is there a desktop application under Mac or does everything is through our Web browser ?

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 5,203
I downloaded the desktop client for windows --

BUT IT DOESN'T PLAY LOCAL FILES???

Seems like it is just a window to the website... What?

Huge miss and disappointing. I've been looking for a good desktop music client :/ - using musicBee right now.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 5,203
Tried it on my Note 4 on the drive home. It's definitely a nice sound and I had no problems streaming through 4G LTE. I was mainly testing how well it could stream, so I wasn't paying too much attention to quality. 

At home now and testing with the X3 as the DAC and Magni as an amp on the HD650 and I can definitely tell a difference between Spotify on its highest quality setting and Tidal. The bass hits harder, there are more details, just has a more polished sound. Dunno if its worth the extra $15 dollars though (since I am a grad student at a uni, i get the 'student' discount from Spotify). But it's definitely an improvement.

It would totally be worth it if:
1) I had unlimited data
2) if my phone was my primary DAP

I have an X3 as my DAP and I normally use it as my DAC at school, and use the Uberfrost as the DAC at home (though the roles are switched right now). I would pretty much only use my Note 4 for music when running, or when other people wanna listen to music I dont have stored in my computers (I have plenty of FLAC CD, DualDisc and DVDA rips and HDTracks).

I think if you are an audiophile, dont get the spotify student discount and you stream most of your music on Spotify then its worth it. Without a doubt. I am still on the fence though!

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 5,203
Are all the songs on Tidal in lossless or are there some in 320. I remember hearing somebody using one of the lossless services (Qobuz, Wimp or Tidal) through Auralic app and it said that the stream was in 320kbps. Any comments?

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #21 of 5,203
Signed up for the trial tonight.  Sounds very good.

Tidal "HiFi" lossless (via Chrome Browser) > 256kbps local file played through JRiver > Spotify Extreme

The differences are very clear, just *more* there - more resolution, clarity, depth.  CD FLAC played through JRiver sounds identical.  

Android app is very similar in UI to Spotify, can download music for offline listening.  Gonna need to get a bigger micro SD for my LG G3.

Very pleased thus far.  Now is it worth 2x Spotify...  

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 5,203
  Are all the songs on Tidal in lossless or are there some in 320. I remember hearing somebody using one of the lossless services (Qobuz, Wimp or Tidal) through Auralic app and it said that the stream was in 320kbps. Any comments?

Not sure how to check. I do know that I was streaming both at their highest setting, and at least with Deadmau5's 'Alone With You' there was a real, noticeable difference in SQ and I know Spotify streams at 320 at its highest setting.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 5,203
I signed up for the month long trial as well.. I've been using streaming services almost exclusively for the past year plus (MOG.. then Google Music AA).  I've been using TIDAL for a few hours and I'm very impressed.  The Web UI is very clean, fast, and easy to navigate.  There is a slight delay (buffering) when starting tracks (if your streaming settings are on "HiFi" aka FLAC).. I've got a plenty fat internet connection, too.. but it's not all that bothersome, IME.  I'm impressed with the library so far (cross referencing some of my more obscure stuff in MOG/Beats Music/Google AA).

Gear used: Geek Out 1000 / Cavalli CTH (upgraded/custom build) / Paradox Slants / UERM.

Gotta say.. Tidal's shaping up to be a keeper for me.  Off to install the app on my Galaxy S4.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #24 of 5,203
Just as an update. Listened for several hours today on my iPhone 5 (IOS 7) and have been really enjoying this service. I did notice the intermittent lag while using a cellular connection (4g/LTE AT&T), mostly between songs though, wasn't a problem on wifi. 

When I got home, I checked out the browser based streamer and in the settings. I was trying to set playback @ "HIFI Flac 1411", but for some reason it would not let me. It says "HIFI playback is only available using Google Chrome" which I'm using, but no matter how much I try, it will not let me get that setting. 
angry_face.gif

Anyone have any ideas on that?

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #27 of 5,203
  Just as an update. Listened for several hours today on my iPhone 5 (IOS 7) and have been really enjoying this service. I did notice the intermittent lag while using a cellular connection (4g/LTE AT&T), mostly between songs though, wasn't a problem on wifi. 

When I got home, I checked out the browser based streamer and in the settings. I was trying to set playback @ "HIFI Flac 1411", but for some reason it would not let me. It says "HIFI playback is only available using Google Chrome" which I'm using, but no matter how much I try, it will not let me get that setting. 
angry_face.gif

Anyone have any ideas on that?

Yep.. I believe you must have Chrome (or the app) to stream in lossless.. it was mentioned in the startup tutorial, I believe.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 5,203
on the tidal trial on my iDevices + AK10 + JH5 = v. nice. 

i'll sample it for a few days and then i'll have to spend some time doing a direct comparison w/spotify HQ which i currently subscribe to.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #29 of 5,203
... i'll sample it for a few days and then i'll have to spend some time doing a direct comparison w/spotify HQ which i currently subscribe to.

You should also test it against Qobuz HiFi which I use. It was the first to allow ( With a €20 subscription and when using their desktop app) to stream CD-quality music (16/44 Flac). Qobuz also offer download of 24 bits files.

Question: With Tidal can I also download music files or is it strickly on-line streaming ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back