Tidal Lossless Streaming
Aug 27, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #3,902 of 5,193
Perhaps I did not make my question clear.

Question: Can the iPhone deliver CD quality output from Tidal HI FI App?

I know how to set it for HI FI on the Tidal iOS App. “What HIFI” UK publication suggests only Onkyo or Vox and a few other Apps can do this. No mention of TIDAL HIFI.
Is this the article you're referring to? https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0. The article discusses hi-res, not CD quality. I haven't seen anything to suggest there is any limitation to iPhone apps delivering CD quality. Even the standard Music player supports lossless CD quality (for ALAC files).

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #3,903 of 5,193
Perhaps I did not make my question clear.

Question: Can the iPhone deliver CD quality output from Tidal HI FI App?

I know how to set it for HI FI on the Tidal iOS App. “What HIFI” UK publication suggests only Onkyo or Vox and a few other Apps can do this. No mention of TIDAL HIFI.
Yes, the Tidal HiFI on iPhone can absolutely deliver the CD quality. No difference between Onkyo and Tidal on both my iPhones and iPads.

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #3,904 of 5,193
Is this the article you're referring to? https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0. The article discusses hi-res, not CD quality. I haven't seen anything to suggest there is any limitation to iPhone apps delivering CD quality. Even the standard Music player supports lossless CD quality (for ALAC files).

Yes and the article confused me. It states the standard Apple Music player supports AIFF format. I know this also as I ripped some CD’s in AIFF which do play on my iPad.

So you can purchase HIGH RES AIFF files from HD TRACKS website, as an example. Why then will it not play them in high res?

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #3,905 of 5,193
Are we talking about Tidal or the Apple player?

I don’t keep up to the minute on these things, but the last time I checked, Tidal maxed out on all but the Tidal desktop app at CD quality. The desktop app can do MQA, which is purportedly better than CD quality (but I don’t want to get into that).

The Apple Music player cannot do better than CD quality because that’s the way Apple designed it. I have the Onkyo player. For $5.00 you can get an add-in that will let that play hi-Rez (up to 96/24 I believe). I don’t know if it plays the AIFF format. I’m almost certain that it plays FLAC files. I have the add-in, but frankly don’t use it because of the limited storage of the iPhone. And AIFF would be worse than FLAC in that regard.

Aug 29, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #3,907 of 5,193
On both the LG V30 mobile and ESSENTIAL mobile the TIDAL APP Delivers MQA.

OK - as I said I don’t follow up to the minute. That said, it doesn’t change the fact that Apple has simply elected to limit its iPhone music app to CD quality. It’s the app that is limited, not the hardware. Creators of other apps for playing music that’s on your iPhone or streaming music to your iPhone may decide to support high res.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #3,908 of 5,193
OK - as I said I don’t follow up to the minute. That said, it doesn’t change the fact that Apple has simply elected to limit its iPhone music app to CD quality. It’s the app that is limited, not the hardware. Creators of other apps for playing music that’s on your iPhone or streaming music to your iPhone may decide to support high res.

Even with the Onkyo app the iphone won't let you deliver more than 48 through its own DAC. You need to get a third party DAC capable of decoding 96/192/ or DSD.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #3,910 of 5,193
I understand the Audioquest Dragon Fly will decode MQA from Tidal.

For that money these days I'd really recommend the iFi Nano iDSD. MUCH better in every way than the Dragonfly... I've owner and used them both extensively and the there's really no comparison.

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #3,912 of 5,193
Just curious, is this statement based on actual use or reading their marketing information? If actual use, would you share your setup?

Based on Video reviews on YouTube. I much prefer my iPhone with Chord Mojo.

I turn Airplane mode on when listening to music which disables some radios and reduces unwanted noise interference. Or better still use my iPad which does not have Cellular radio interference.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #3,914 of 5,193
Looking forward to the imminent Qobuz launch in the US. Hi Res streaming unencumbered by MQA. Got a beta and streaming 96, 192, and DSD flawlessly on my ipod touch/ Chord mojo combo :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,915 of 5,193
I hope that Roon Labs provides an alternate lossless streaming service option other than Tidal if only to have a choice, but I'm also worried that Tidal will not be around much longer. Qobuz would be perfect to pair with Roon to fill in the gaps in anyone's music library and for high-quality exploration and discovery of new material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back