Tidal Lossless Streaming
Dec 5, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,971 of 5,210
  I've had the problem that I think you're referring to - I've gone to listen to my Tidal offline music when I've been out of signal on a train, only to be asked to log in - which I can't do because there's no signal.  From memory, I think the problem might have been caused by the train wi fi - you get a connection, but only to register and pay for it - but your phone thinks you've got a wi fi connection.  Only got a rather vague memory of this now but certainly recall a couple of very frustrating train journeys.  Can't recall now if switching wi fi off solved the problem.

I've had this issue. And unless I have overlooked something, it seems that downloaded offline music still requires an internet connection. The whole purpose of having it downloaded is because I run in areas that have no service. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #2,972 of 5,210
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I have failed to find in the thread if I can play offline Tidal downloads via the USB Audio Player Pro.
I have followed the advice on the thread to enable my phone to play WIFI Tidal lossless via UAPP to work (fantastic). I cannot see how to play the Tidal downloads that I have on the phone this way.
I can play them directly from the Tidal app, but that comes out at 192 (according to the MOJO)

I have looked and looked, but cannot see an answer.

Please advise

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #2,973 of 5,210
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I have failed to find in the thread if I can play offline Tidal downloads via the USB Audio Player Pro.
I have followed the advice on the thread to enable my phone to play WIFI Tidal lossless via UAPP to work (fantastic). I cannot see how to play the Tidal downloads that I have on the phone this way.
I can play them directly from the Tidal app, but that comes out at 192 (according to the MOJO)No

I have looked and looked, but cannot see an answer.

Please advise

No.  Offline content can only be played using the Tidal app.

Dec 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #2,975 of 5,210

OK, so the question I need to answer is whether there is a phone which will send the tidal app download offline signal in its pure form, rather than via the android adjusted signal.
Do you know if this exists?

Please let me know, if you get the solution.
I am searching for this solution for last so many months.

Dec 26, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #2,976 of 5,210
decided to try tidal hifi again, this time with roon labs.
still trying to tweak the settings and playback with roon for best results.

do enjoy the new areas to explore under 'tidal rising'
for example, just listened to the group jaykoy' and their ' foreign water ' R/B album.
lovely stuff.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2,977 of 5,210
I'm trying to figure out if I want to go for this ( and buy audirvana). Two questions:
1. I saw on here that not all songs are flac. I can search the catalogue but can't see quality. I interested in classic rock, and progressive mainly, psychadelic and similar.
2. If not flac then 320 I assume? Google's music service has some gaps in their catalogue. Is the catalogue and quality good enough otherwise vs spotify etc?

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2,978 of 5,210
I'm trying to figure out if I want to go for this ( and buy audirvana). Two questions:
1. I saw on here that not all songs are flac. I can search the catalogue but can't see quality. I interested in classic rock, and progressive mainly, psychadelic and similar.
2. If not flac then 320 I assume? Google's music service has some gaps in their catalogue. Is the catalogue and quality good enough otherwise vs spotify etc?

As for Tidal and the Mac (since you've mentioned Audirvana Plus), I've never seen any indication in Audirvana, that any of the tracks I've listened to are not Flac. Audirvana Plus has an indicator in the upper right hand corner of it's display, that gives File Type and Bit/Sampling rate and it always indicates "Flac 16/44.1". 

Similarly, if you use the free Tidal app for the Mac, the HiFi indicator in the lower right hand corner is always lit, indicating Flac.

I'm sure, that it's possible, that the odd track may be a mp3 but those tracks must be few and far between. If your Tidal subscription is for HiFi, that's what you get.

Maybe someone else has experience with Google vs Spotify in question 2 and can comment.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,979 of 5,210

Having HiFi subscription, I have bumped on Tidal at some older tracks of world music which were AAC. Probably they have borrowed them from iTunes, when newer recordings were not available. But I would say at least 95% are FLACs. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #2,980 of 5,210

As for Tidal and the Mac (since you've mentioned Audirvana Plus), I've never seen any indication in Audirvana, that any of the tracks I've listened to are not Flac. Audirvana Plus has an indicator in the upper right hand corner of it's display, that gives File Type and Bit/Sampling rate and it always indicates "Flac 16/44.1". 

Similarly, if you use the free Tidal app for the Mac, the HiFi indicator in the lower right hand corner is always lit, indicating Flac.

I'm sure that it's possible, that the odd track may be a mp3 but those tracks must be few and far between. If your Tidal subscription is for HiFi, that's what you get.

Maybe someone else has experience with Google vs Spotify in question 2 and can comment.

Oooh, I see that now.

So just bought Audirvana...and with some weirdness (I realised I had signed up but never activated, which meant I couldn't 'sign up' for the free trial) managed to get my 3mth trial. Seriously though OMG, i didn't believe the display on audirvana at first but checked the web player's display on the same song. Their catalog beats Google Music's any-day, and not just because of FLAC (for classic rock and 90s pop anyway). 

Seriously, this is awesome!

Side note: most services don't realise that xxx.yyy@gmail.com and xxxyyy@gmail.com ARE the same email address (which they are, the dots are systematically compeletely irrelevant in a gmail address). 

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,981 of 5,210
amarra just replied to me that a luxe 4 version will be out soon (no eta) for windows 10 users.
will be interesting to try it.

Hi  Thanks for your note and at this time, we only support Mac OS.  Our new software, Amarra 4 and Amarra 4 Luxe,
due out very soon, will be cross platform and run on Windows 10.

At that time, we’d recommend Amarra 4 Luxe, providing access to your local library as well as TIDAL in one integrated app.

More info available soon.

for me, for now while trialing Roon for 2 months i'm not finding it worth the $20/mo..
so have no multiple zones or end points (find it a bit confusing at times).
and paying $20/mo for meta data or bio info not worth it...still trialing it, however.
i'm more into SQ enhancement.

my setup is simple: one laptop with ripped cds, some 24/192 flac
 and tidal hifi

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #2,982 of 5,210
I'm looking at getting tidal hifi but it's a bit expensive. I saw you can get a family option where both people will get 50% off? Does anyone atm use the family option and will be willing to add me to it (i'll prepay 3 months in advance etc). Or is there any other way of getting it cheaper.

Also when i get hifi is EVERTHING on the catalog availible in lossless?

Cheers

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,983 of 5,210
  I'm looking at getting tidal hifi but it's a bit expensive. I saw you can get a family option where both people will get 50% off? Does anyone atm use the family option and will be willing to add me to it (i'll prepay 3 months in advance etc). Or is there any other way of getting it cheaper.

Cheers

To your second question:  Yes, everything will be lossless when you get HiFi.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,984 of 5,210
As far as I can see, i get the option to add "family member" for $5 or so. You can get a trial for a little bit (not sure how much, I wanna say 1 month?) Or do like i did and buy audirvana (i have a mac) for the free trial. 

Re: lossless, in my VERY short experience I match what I was told above that most songs DO seem to be available in FLAC version (according to both audirvana as well as the app both of which tell you if you are playing lossless/Hi-Fi or not). They may not have everything, and they have some odd gaps (like they have bee gees, but "this is where I came in" just disappeared, it was there this morning but not anymore). I've tried a lot of classic rock as well as 90s music, AND some beatles and Abba and so on (was playing for my parents).

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #2,985 of 5,210

Cheers

I am on the student plan for 9.99 using my edu address.
I just check the family plan, and it is 4.99, but it says it is Tidal premium (not hifi). Not sure if that suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back