Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jan 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,057 of 5,203
have you ever noticed the ratio of actual lossy to lossless? I was randomly scrolling throgh my offline content and i went through about 50-60 songs and only one of them was lossless.

Where will I find that info?

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,058 of 5,203
Very true and exactly how I feel (although for me the 320 stream is good enough). On the downside, you end up owning nothing, but still, for my $9.99 a month I'm pretty happy.

I actually like not owning a physical copy. It always seemed a bit OTT to have a library of several hundred CD's just for me to listen to.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,061 of 5,203
I only wish Soundiiz worked better, because Tidal's playlists are pretty anemic. It's always been my favorite thing about Spotify compared to anyone else: they have a huge priority on discovery and playlists. Like I love that there's an entire section for different moods. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #2,062 of 5,203
With the Touch I am using the same CCK then micro USB cable with my iPhone; inelegant, but i won't be sharing storage with other media.

Were an Android player to have Web connectivity (no phone) similar to a Touch, I could run offline Tidal content via their google play app and a USB to Ethernet adaptor run through a hub to load content only...A modified AK100(ii ?)would be great.

I know with the iOS I can Ethernet with an Adapter and hub for a wired connection; I would forgo WiFi and Bluetooth....to remove potential for noise.

I always play locally stored music downloaded from a stream service; $20/month is way cheap compared to what it would cost me to fill out my collection and to experiment with music new to me.

I saw this DAR link when searching for portable UPnP steamers: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/09/ak-connect-turns-astellkern-portables-into-upnp-streamers/
Looks like the AK100 II do have the possibillity to be controlled via iPhone and the AK connect app. Just waiting for the Tidal compabillity as I understand it. Interesting! :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,063 of 5,203
  have you ever noticed the ratio of actual lossy to lossless? I was randomly scrolling throgh my offline content and i went through about 50-60 songs and only one of them was lossless.

Maybe you downloaded in lossy inadvertently? Or you just like really obscure music that no one bothers to provide in lossless format :).

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #2,064 of 5,203
Maybe you downloaded in lossy inadvertently? Or you just like really obscure music that no one bothers to provide in lossless format :).

As far as I can tell, all my music on Tidal is lossless. I'm a pretty mainstream kinda guy though! :wink:

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2,065 of 5,203

I've always set the download and streaming options to 'HiFi' but had been a little unhappy with the sound quality for a days and checked these options in settings and for some reason they had reverted to a lower level.  Had to delete all the offline music and download again - not a big task as it's just so simple in Tidal.  

I wonder if this is what had happened here - I think the vast majority (though not all) music on Tidal is lossless 'HiFi'.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,066 of 5,203

I crawl the underground pretty extensively and I can say so far i've only run into... maybe one album that wasn't lossless thus far. That is, of course, assuming Tidal is being honest about what is and isn't lossless.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #2,068 of 5,203

I crawl the underground pretty extensively and I can say so far i've only run into... maybe one album that wasn't lossless thus far. That is, of course, assuming Tidal is being honest about what is and isn't lossless.

Got the same thing with some songs. One is Nao me toca by Anselmo Ralph. I ripped it from Tidal and ran it through Spek and the frequencies weren't there.

This is more likely to happen with rare, non-mainstream music (with the exception of the previously mentioned song).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back